Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, This is my first posting to the forum :)

I would like an identification of the modern proof marks that have been added to this pistol please.

It is a Walther P38 ac45 a, (UK Deactivated) with Nazi 359 Waffenampt Stamps however, there have been additional "Modern" german proof marks added which looks laser engraved.

Please see photos attached.

Please can anyone help me identify what they are and mean please.

many thanks to all in advance who can help,

Best regards,

sugarhorse.

·
Registered
429 Posts
sugarhorse
Welcome to the forum.
Having trouble opening your pics, so I will wing it a little. I could be way off base, so please give a little latitude. Normally any "engraving, electro pencilling" is done to force match and/or by an importer. The British marks could be acceptance stamps of deactivation. Hope this gives a little help, I know the more knowledgeable members, and those that get into the pics, will give you more reliable info; art.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
What exactly does UK deactivated consist of? The laser marks I am not familiar with.

R

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
The eagle looks like the one used in the post-war proof stamp ... Anything below it or is that just a smudge? The three-crown shield resembles the coat of arms of Sweden ... How's that for adding to the confusion?

Deactivated means rendered permanently non-firing, right? Is it welded shut?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Welcome I'm also new to the forum. Looks like the Shield is from Cologne W. Germany but it's too hard to compare the eagle.
Try a search for "proof marks" a sticky will come up that's titled "proof marks master list" it's by searcher 451.
Click on the link within the thread.
Good luck

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I mean't specifically was must be done to a pistol in U.K. to deactivate them. Is it realistically reversable?

R

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi all, Thanks for the advise, I know that the eagle is the Federal German Eagle, but thats all I know, unfortunatly.

With regards to the deactivation in the United Kingdom, I dont know too much about it, It did come complete with the UK Gun Proof Deactivation Certificate. I do know that its "NOT" reversable however it can be field stripped and the slide works. The barrel is also plugged and therefore will never fire again. it is deactivated due the UK Gun Law Ban,

Someone told me that this is a ex-nazi walther hense the nazi waffenampt marks and that the more recent marks are German federal Police and therefore was re-issued from the armoury for Modern Police use upto 1998, but I dont know if that is true and that the person telling me this was just spinning me a yarn??

Hope to find out for sure what these marks are as I have never seen these marks before and I have checked with all the Gun Proof house marks I can find but to no avail.

Regards,

Sugarhorse.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hmmm

I'm not an expert, but I was a collector for several years. FWIW, I never saw a WWII alloy framed P38. I'll check my books to ensure that's the case.

If indeed your pistol has an alloy frame, I'd think it likely that it is a 'parts gun' with a post-WWII alloy frame mated to a WWII era slide. The markings on both the slide and the frame support this conclusion...unfortunately.

Edit: I did check my 'books' and found that there were a few alloy framed pistols made prior to the war (pre-1939) but that they were rejected by the military. Apparently all P-38's manufactured for acceptance by the Army (Heer) were steel framed. That makes it likely that the slide is an original ac45 slide mated to a fairly modern alloy frame. Wish it was otherwise.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My mistake, I made the decision that it was aloy to quickley without looking at it.
Its not alloy thankfully, when you pull the slide back there are waffenampt stamps on the mechanisem and on all the correct places. also the aloy frames have a hex bolt running through, so no its not alloy and therefore ac45a, also the UK Goverment Proof House Certificate has the date of manufacture and serial number on it.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
It was not proof fired in Köln in 1998 since it does not have the type of Beschuss (N for nitro). It is the legal proof that the gun was deactivated in Germany which needs certification of the proof house. In 1998 in Köln, this was done.

I guess that it had to be deactivated before going to be importable in the U.K. after the 1997 ban on handguns.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It was not proof fired in Köln in 1998 since it does not have the type of Beschuss (N for nitro). It is the legal proof that the gun was deactivated in Germany which needs certification of the proof house. In 1998 in Köln, this was done.

I guess that it had to be deactivated before going to be importable in the U.K. after the 1997 ban on handguns.
Thanks for the info Andyd_is_PzGren, That clears that up then, Appreciated. :)

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Thanks for the info Andyd_is_PzGren, That clears that up then, Appreciated. :)
You are welcome, Sugarhorse!

Depending on where you are in the U.K. say a toast to me over one of the fine British ales. I love them: from the Old Speckled Hen, Fuller's London Pride, Spitfire, the Fursty Ferret, to Belhaven's 80 Shilling.

Cheers mate!

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Don't forget Watney's Red Barrel and John Peel bitter. :)
I have not tried those but love the U.K.

My oldest son spent one year in London at a university and he loves Great Britain, so do I.

It is a shame that the handgun ban happened there. Like it happened everywhere else - or the first step of it. Registration.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have not tried those but love the U.K.

My oldest son spent one year in London at a university and he loves Great Britain, so do I.

It is a shame that the handgun ban happened there. Like it happened everywhere else - or the first step of it. Registration.
Cheers :) Yes your right some great ales!!

Yeah, that Gun ban was a right kick in the ribs, in the early 90's I invested quite a bit on handguns and all the reloading gear and dies etc had to sell the lot back to the Shooting Club for just a lousy £300, they would not go any higher!!

I had 4 Handguns in total and all of them was over £400 my trusty 9mm S&W Semi-Auto which I loved and bought for £600 was in with that lousy £300 the worst thing was I bought all the guns from the same person at the Gun Range and we could only sell them back to him cus he was a Registered Firearms Dealer, I bet he was rubbing his hand together!!!!
(I dont know what he did with them after, but I bet he made a few quid in the process!!)

The worst thing was it was either doing that or hand them all in to the police and get nothing, No one told us we could ger them deactivated and sell them to deactivated gun collectors which is totally legal and with no licence here in the UK, nothing was said about that!!

I was watching fox news, today (Which is available here in the UK 24hrs)
along with most of the US News Channels and from what they was saying sound very familier with what was said in the UK back then when they introduced the Ban, I've got a feeling that you in the US are heading down the same path unfortunatly.

As was said back then in the UK, those ****** who comit these killings in the US and commit gun crime are screwing everything up for the legit gun owner.

I really miss those days when I could just go the the Range and spend a couple of hours there, now its all gone, along with all the money I invested :(!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Policies such as that would lead to my instant relocation. Seriously.

-Pilotsteve
I know what you mean, I would love to move but too many commitments here, but I would say this, that the UK is a Police state and under the eyes of "Big Brother Watching"!!!

The UK (Great Britain) is just like the US (with exception to stupid central government and local government policies)
for anyone who has not been to britain is really very much the same, unfortunatly old 70s /80s British TV re-runs in the US
make britain out that we all ride bicycles, wear bowler hats and carry umbrellas, Britain is no way near like that is just like the US really.

I have been to the US 3 times and loved it.

Neil.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts