Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Premium Member
The P38 in .22 LR is pretty uncommon. According to Dieter there were only 5000 complete pistols produced between 1967 and 1987 in addition to the conversion kits.

What year is yours ? Mine was made in 1968. I haven't shot mine a whole lot but its been pretty reliable. It came with all black sights that I replaced with a set of von Stavenhagens. The magazines are a lot easier to load if you use a Maglula 22UpLula.

Attachments

Registered
I found this rare one in a local shop. pretty rare from what I understand.
The P38 .22LR are always nice shooter, the first one I purchased many years ago is almost like yours but the last one I grabbed recently is very unusual to find since it is the "all steel" version. No sources on this model around, from what I found out a very few oh them were produced at the very beginning of the Eighties. I spend my time handling it and admiring it... I know this is a dangerous addicition to Walther P38 but I have no defense. :cautious:
20190701_173435.jpg

Premium Member
Welcome to the forum Oplophilus. That's a beautiful P38 you have there. I really like those grips and that high polish slide.

Registered
Welcome to the forum Oplophilus. That's a beautiful P38 you have there. I really like those grips and that high polish slide.
Thanks a lot Redcat94, I was already registered on this forum but I do not know why I have just logged in with my gmail account instead of my usual account.... strange things happening...
Anyhow, at the gunshop where I found it they told me it was one of the pistols from HERMANN HISTORICA (they are a warranty about the quality of the products they sell) so I did not hesitate to grab it. This is the second "all steel" P38 .22LR that I see in my whole life but the first one I saw on the web was in a foreign country and I had no idea on how to import it.
Each Walther P38 is fantastic but the ones entirely made of steel have an edge over the others ;)

Registered
The one below is my first P38 caliber 5,6mm (the european designation of .22LR) and an ordinary target at 25 meters (the shooter is a dead loss one: me) with the cheapest .22LR ammo I could find at the shooting range. In the right hands I am pretty sure it would only score 9 and 10. ;)
DSCN1129.JPG
DSCN1271_P38_22.JPG

Registered
The P38 in .22 LR is pretty uncommon. According to Dieter there were only 5000 complete pistols produced between 1967 and 1987 in addition to the conversion kits.

What year is yours ? Mine was made in 1968. I haven't shot mine a whole lot but its been pretty reliable. It came with all black sights that I replaced with a set of von Stavenhagens. The magazines are a lot easier to load if you use a Maglula 22UpLula.
Wow! It is absolutrely new! Congratulations!

Premium Member
Wow! It is absolutrely new! Congratulations!
Thank you. It's one of the few Walther's I've bought used that came with the box. I don't think its previous owner ever shot it. His loss.

Since I got it I changed its appearance a little by installing a set of ribbed WWII grips. Here's how it looks now.

Attachments

Registered
Those grips were made by Karl Nill. The early Nills are not KN marked but the inside contours match the later one. Nill made a lot of grips for Walther and the gun could be ordered in Germany with the Nills, or the grips bought extra.
Later Nill grips have a flat screw head, early ones for the PP use the Walther factory screw.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts