Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchaed a Walther P22 in .22LR. SKU: WAP22007
The pistol will not fire. I've fully disassembled and verified that everyting was correct as well as did multiple full cleanings and it will not fire.
I've tried multiple magazines and manual extraction work fire. I have tried manually placing rounds into the chamber and it will still not fire.
This is my fourth P22 and I have never had issue with any of the other ones I have.
What are my next steps to get this correct?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I had one and it worked flawlessly... is the firing pin ok? Does it hit the brass of the cartridge?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Empty pistol, lock slide open. Take small screwdriver and push firing pin from back forward. Just light power and you must see it protrude in front of bolt.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Empty pistol, lock slide open. Take small screwdriver and push firing pin from back forward. Just light power and you must see it protrude in front of bolt.
View attachment 96044
I did and notice its it doesn't look "full" or complete. Almost as if some it is sheared off. I'm going to pull one of my other P22's and compare.

·
Registered
10,506 Posts

The firing pin must fully reset to the rear. The firing pin block cannot be stuck....the little oval button under the breech block. And of course the firing pin can't be damaged or broken. It is inertia driven so when fully reset to the rear the nose won't stick out of the breech face but you should be able to take a pencil point or small screwdriver and press the rear forward. The slide must also be fully closed. 1917

·
Registered
10,506 Posts
Nah, don't send it back until we figure out what is wrong. If the firing pin is broken they can send you a new firing pin and you can put it in. How are you going to pass gunsmithin' 101 sendin' stuff back? 1917

·
Registered
10,506 Posts
When a P22 won't fire, the first thing you check is the safety...flipped forward, lever parallel with the barrel is fire. If good to go there make sure a round is fully seating and the slide is closing and that there is a round in the chamber. If good to go there, unload, cock the hammer and make sure the firing pin is fully resetting to the rear and that it moves freely. If good to go there check the brass to see if you are getting a solid firing pin mark. It takes 8 lbs of pull to cock the hammer with a new main spring. Once is drops below 7 lbs hits become inconsistent. Some might fire, some not. Time for a new spring. Also if the chamber gets dirty and a round doesn't fully seat you can get a light stroke on the first hammer fall but no ignition. The problem is that the round "gives" with the first hit, is now fully seated and will fire with the second hammer strike. The problem here is a dirty chamber. Clean it. A round should easily drop into the chamber under the pull of gravity. But, .22s also get chambers dirty...so, a clean chamber always ranks up there with routine maintenance.

Rounds fully seating? Safety set to fire? Are you getting a firing pin mark on the rim? If not or if the strike is light time to check the other stuff. 1917

·
Registered
380 Posts
I just checked with a 22 LR dummy round made out of aluminum. I do get deep impacts to the rim of the cartridge.
Then the pistol should fire.

As noted - it becomes an ammo problem if you are getting strong firing pin hits and the rounds are not firing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
There could be some restraint inside firing pin channel, broken or bent spring... and you have sometimes strong hit and sometimes not at all.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.