Walther Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
500 Federal Hollow Points,High Velocity and not a problem,fires in SA/DA with no problem. Automatically tightened the safety to avoid the problem some owners have with safety engaging during firing, I will report the results has we go on. Oh yeah, no problem with tight groups @ 25yds and today I opened up and made my P22 sing like a full auto with no jams. Highly recommend for purchase and reliability!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have had zero problems with the one I purchased last March.

Close to 2000 rounds through it so far.

I know, I don't get out shooting nearly enough. Don't get me started on that rant...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Well...

The link to the site is apparently dead, so I went to Google's cache, and here's the supposed fixes. Standard disclaimers apply.

Slide Mounted Safety Related Fixes

Slide Mounted Safety Engages or Disengages By Itself

This can be a PITA (Pain In The Butt). You can either have the safety off, fire as few as one or as many as seven (or more) and then click. Failure to fire. Pull the hammer back, fire. Nothing. Eh, dead primer? Before you eject the cartridge, you look at the slide mounted safety and see it is on Safe. Gwaa? Doesn't feel too lose by hand. Or, the other way, you have the safety on, and you dry fire a few, or g0d forbid you have live rounds chambered, and the safety then goes to half mast, then OFF. Even worse! So what is this? You look at the safety and see two screws (slotted), one on either side, and hope just tightening them will fix the problem. It might. However, for many it won't, and you can either fix it yourself or send it to S&W to do the fix you hopefully could have done. Easy, here goes.

First, make sure there is no lubricant in the S and F holes, on either side, where the safety nubs (attached to the safety bar) catch. Compare the hole sizes, if one is bigger than the other, than that is the one (bigger) that probably holds better). Regardless, you need to make the hole a little bigger so the safety can engage better, and also tighten the screws so the grab tighter (the new, bigger holes giving it something to grab into). Be careful not to overdo it, but you'll feel it when it is nice and tight. Make sure to do both sides, and to push on the safety horizontally to see if there is play, and how that will affect performance. On my particular P22, the F hole on the left side of the slide was a bit smaller than the other four, meaning my gun would go from safe to FIRE. However, I so far have only tightened the screws on each side (about a quarter of a turn on each side), and have not had trouble with the only handful of test rounds I have had time to try.

D. McKeon's Fix For Safety Engaging While Firing
He tried to open up the detent with a small drill bit as some have suggested so that the ball on the safety lever would catch better. It only worked so-so. The problem he saw with the whole situation was that the safety levers were too loose so that no matter how nice and sharp of a hole you had, the little ball would not stay tightly in the detent. He could not tighten the levers with the screw on each side that held them on because the levers themselves bottomed out into the slide. This means, no matter how tight you tighten the screws, the levers don't squeeze on each side of the frame thus making a tight fit for the detent. Try yours. Grab the safety lever and jiggle it. If it is like his, it will shake because of the play in the system. Sooooooo. What I did was take a small fine file and after taking the safety levers off, filed down the part that inserted into the slide. First the flat part on either side of the raised section (raised section fits into the notch in the slide) then the raised part got filed. Go slow. He took a few thousands off of each and then tried it. Then took a little more off. When he put the safety levers back on and tightened them up they snugged down so he could hardly move them. He loosened them up just a touch where they were still snug and voila! The safety moves on and off crisply with absolutely no play. There is a positive click at the end of the movement when the ball moves into place and no movement at all when in place. It has gone through 5 boxes of ammo without a hiccup. Hope this helps...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts