Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum, having just registered. However, I have a question that I know you can help me with because I know I am in the right place. I have just purchased a Walther P1/P38 9mm online. Why? I realize the value and quality of Walther products. Though I may have paid too much for it, $600.00, I would like some feedback on my purchase. It is marked P1/P38. What does that mean? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks so much.

·
Super Moderator
7,155 Posts
Tell us more...what's it made of, steel or partially alloy?
I struggle with pictures, but they would help in this case.
Moon

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi HalfMoonClip, Thanks a lot. It should be here in a couple of days and I will be able to supply you with more information. Back to you soon!

·
Registered
7 Posts
The P-38 is the WWII German pistol. The P-1 is the same pistol overall but the frame is made from an aluminum alloy, and the recoil springs were reworked to be more reliable. The P-38 springs were the weak link in the weapon and prone to early failure. Either way, you will like it. NOS (New Old Stock) mags are relatively inexpensive.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
The P-38 is the WWII German pistol. The P-1 is the same pistol overall but the frame is made from an aluminum alloy, and the recoil springs were reworked to be more reliable. The P-38 springs were the weak link in the weapon and prone to early failure. Either way, you will like it. NOS (New Old Stock) mags are relatively inexpensive.
Actually that is not entirely correct. The P1 was the official designation of the post-WWII West German military sidearm and also used by the police. However, there were still P38s being manufactured for the civilian market and the police had received P38s, too. The P.38 was the gun that was used by the Third Reich.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I think you will love your new pistol regardless of whether it is a P38 or P1. With mine I have a habit of replacing all the springs every decade or so. Generally the spring kits have been slowly increasing in price. When I first started the practice they were under $10.00 and the last set I bought was $15.00 IIRC.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I think there are lots of thick surplus P1 slides on the market now. You could probably pick up one for a good price and upgrade your gun for shooting longevity.

·
Super Moderator
7,155 Posts
I have a decent Spreewerke P38, which scratches the itch; it doesn't get shot enough to wear it out. Another fat slide P1 at a good price will follow me home.

One caveat; a buddy was loaned a fairly nice P38, perhaps for purchase. He test hopped it with reloads from another buddy; said buddy is sometimes too smart for his own good. The loads were hot. Cracked the locking block; 1st buddy returned the gun and said "no, thanks". :eek:
Moon

1 - 12 of 12 Posts