Walther Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone. I'm new to these forums!

Yesterday I received a Walther P1 from my grandfather as a gift. At first I thought it was a Walther P38 WWII vintage; but he said this model was from the 1960's, and of course a little digging revealed it was a P1. Now, I've seen these before plenty of times in movies and video games, but this is the first time I've seen one first hand. I've done a little research, even on these forums; but some markings on the gun, the magazines, and the holster elude me or I don't know if they're original condition or refurbished. I'm hoping you all can help me out.

- As far as I can tell, the Serial# is 257772. I haven't taken the gun apart yet, but the number 7772 repeats on parts I can see, so I'm assuming this means matching parts in reference to the last 4 digits of the Serial #.
- The 4/64 on the right side of the slide I'm guessing is the date April of 1964.
- There are these small marks on the right side of the slide, the the right side of the frame, and under the barrel that I'm not sure what they are. I'm guessing approval marks. They kind of look like crowns or birds/eagles. My camera close up, looks like the number 155 or 165 are under them.
- Interarms I think is the company where this pistol was imported to in Alexandria, VA.
- There's this X mark over the letters BMI? I have 0 clue on what that means.
- The magazines are interesting. One says "Walther P1 9mm" with 7/64 on the back and 772 on the bottom. The other magazine says "Walther P38 9mm" with no other identifiable markings. I'm thinking my grandpa gave me a mismatched pair of magazines. The P1 belonging to the pistol, and I'm wondering if the P38 magazine is an actual vintage P38 magazine. Probably not.
- The holster has 7772 on the inside, so most likely original to the gun.
- I'm not sure what "F&B 114-219139" on the holster means. I'm guessing F&B is the manufacturer, but I have no idea otherwise.

Well, I think that about covers it. I wanted to give as much info as possible. I also have pictures down below. I hope they're all clear enough.

Imgur link to my Walther P1 Album: Walther P1 - Album on Imgur

I have to say though, this really is a nice piece. The operation of it from what I can tell is still smooth and shoots fine!

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
BMI is over-stamped on the right frame side. It's a German government marking.

The Budeswehr acceptance marks are plainly visible though and it looks as though you have an un-reworked issued piece.

Nothing really notable about it, but it is in very nice shape. Should make a great shooter or carry gun.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
BMI =
Bundesministerium des Innern

The German interior ministry, it was who issued your particular P1.

The BMI was over stamped with an X when the pistol was surplussed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thank you both for the responses.

So basically with the BMI and and Bundeswehr markings, this pistol was originally meant to be in the hands of military personnel?
But then it got selected for surplus and shipped over here to the U.S. for the commercial market. (my grandfather still has a second P1 that's in a box with a manual)
That's pretty neat, I have to say. It's also nice to see someone else say it looks like there's no rework done on it.

This probably won't be my carry gun though, sadly. It's a little big and heavy to be carrying around for any long length of time, at least for me.
However, it does feel good in the hands and feels great to shoot, so this is easily a nice home defense pistol. :)

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Welcome to the forum Omni.

When P38 production resumed after the war the German Bundeswehr redesignated them as the P1. However Walther continued to use the name P38 for commercial and foreign military sales. Your P38 marked magazine appears post-war to me.

Your pistols looks to be in great shape and should make a fine shooter.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Check with magnet to see if the frame is steel or not, most likely not. If it is an aluminum alloy frame it does not have the steel hex reinforcement that later P1s have and you should not shoot any really high powered loads through it. It should be a good shooter though, I love my P1. Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Thank you both for the responses.

So basically with the BMI and and Bundeswehr markings, this pistol was originally meant to be in the hands of military personnel?[/B]
But then it got selected for surplus and shipped over here to the U.S. for the commercial market. (my grandfather still has a second P1 that's in a box with a manual)
That's pretty neat, I have to say. It's also nice to see someone else say it looks like there's no rework done on it.

This probably won't be my carry gun though, sadly. It's a little big and heavy to be carrying around for any long length of time, at least for me.
However, it does feel good in the hands and feels great to shoot, so this is easily a nice home defense pistol. :)
The Bundeswehr proofed the handguns for the BMI in what was called "Amtshilfe", inter-agency help. The BMI is responsible for law-enforcement and many other government branches.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.