Walther Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I recently purchased a Walther P1. The finish is excellent, with the only wear being on the front corner of the slide cover (where I assume ejected brass hits,) and the only non-matching part is the locking piece. It was produced in 4/79, with what I believe to be an 8/84 rebuild date. It is stamped with "Bw" on the slide. My question pertains to the bore of this handgun.

I have read that Walther P1's have chromed bores. Indeed, looking at the chamber end, this one appears to have a chromed bore. However, looking at the muzzle end, the chrome appears to not come completely to the muzzle in places. Also, the only way to see the chrome is to look at it with a light. Looking at the picture of the P1 on J&G Sales' website, the chrome is very distinct, and appears to come all the way to the muzzle, and have a bit of flashing around it, as it does on my AK rifle.

When I saw this on my gun, the first thing that came to mind was cleaning rod wear due to aggressive cleaning from the muzzle. However, the crowning appears to be consistently sharp around the muzzle. It almost looks as if whoever did the chrome lining just got a bit sloppy.

My question is this: With chromed P1 barrels, should the chrome at the muzzle be distinct with flashing, or do some of them exhibit more subtle chrome at the muzzle?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Naga: The post WW II P38's and P1's have sleeved bores. If you look at the barrel from the chamber (strong light) you should see a pin at the bottom of the chamber. No, I don't have a clue why they did this other than to save money.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts