Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!:) Please could you help me make up my mind.
I am considering getting a 9mm, I have narrowed my options down to the Walther PPS, and the HK P30

Pleases could you assist.I like the PPS because it can easily be concealed, and the P30 because of its magazine capacity.

What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Buy both :D
The P30 is a great gun in it's own way so is the PPS....
Both have great sights...with the P30's sights being luminous and the PPS sights just plain white at this time
Hard to compare the two really... but I would take the P99 over the P30 at this point. The P99's trigger is much nicer than the P30's
If you are looking for a CCW... the PPS would be the ticket...

·
Registered
529 Posts
Buy both :D
The P30 is a great gun in it's own way so is the PPS....
Both have great sights...with the P30's sights being luminous and the PPS sights just plain white at this time
Hard to compare the two really... but I would take the P99 over the P30 at this point. The P99's trigger is much nicer than the P30's
If you are looking for a CCW... the PPS would be the ticket...
+1 Both are excellent weapons of high quality. Uncut's right - buy both.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I wish I could get both, but where I come from(South Africa) licenses are difficult to obtain for a second firearm. I do like the PPS( bit of a walther fan) my old man has the P38. I posted the same thread on the HK forum, they have suggested the P2000sk, which has a 10 mag capacity. See the problem is that I have to import these firearms, I won't even get to see them in the flesh:mad: What do you guys think of the P2000sk???? more of a concealment weapon than the P30.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
I would say it all depends on your built...
If you can conceal the P2000SK you can conceal the P30..... I rather have the P30 than the SK just due to round size....
However if you want a thin pistol get the PPS

·
Registered
335 Posts
FWIW:

Oh man, I thought you were talking about the "real" HK.. :D

But:

I love my PPS... So much in fact, I've been more than willing to give up the 10+1 capacity of my P99c/AS (which is wonderful pistol, just by double/stack necessity, thick) for the much thinner and easier to conceal carry 7+1 (my preference) PPS..

IMO if 7+1 rounds of 115grain DoubleTap jhp's don't do the trick a few more wouldn't make any difference.

Additionally, even though I don't think sights count for much in a close up self defense situation the 3 dot white sights on the PPS are roughly twice the size of those on the P99c/AS. That's a plus for me personally.

Just personal opinion/YMMV

JP

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
The 2 guns are really not in the same category. One is a thin, low capacity, pocket type 9mm. The P30 is more of a service sized weapon.

The P30 would be comparable to the fullsize P99.

Both would be great guns, however.

·
Registered
529 Posts
The 2 guns are really not in the same category. One is a thin, low capacity, pocket type 9mm. The P30 is more of a service sized weapon.

The P30 would be comparable to the fullsize P99.

Both would be great guns, however.
Very true, and well said. The two are not a good comparision.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I own both. Here's my 2 cents...

If you're going strictly on concealability/comfort while wearing, the PPS wins. It's thinner & lighter and conceals more easily (not that you can't conceal a P30, it's just that it takes a little more thought).

If you're looking for a gun that will split duty concealed and on the range, I'd say take a good look at the P30. It is FAR more comfortable to shoot, especially when you're looking at 100+ rounds. The PPS bites a bit more, so you'll just feel it more quickly when on the range.

If you're looking at a gun strictly for the range, the P30 wins between the two. Are there other options here? Sure...Walther, Sig, Glock, etc. would all be viable.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I love Walthers but because of where you are I would snag the P30. The PPS is a get off me gun much more then the HK is, and I have heard some shit about that area.

·
Registered
529 Posts
To throw another possibility into the discussion, would you consider an HK USP Compact in any of the 3 calibers, 9x19, 40 S&W or 45 acp? I know this is also a gun readily available in S.A.
These weapons are wider and heavier than either the new HK30 or a PPS for sure. If you have a build that can wear one, they conceal very well with the flat based magazine. I am 6'5", middle aged and not very fat at 220lbs(although I HAVE gained weight). I carry the 45 compact USP very often in a Kramer #2 IWB and nobody knows it's there.
They are very stable shooting platforms, accurate and tough as a tank. It's old hat, but the old, slow velocity 45 acp is still a very good manstopper, and it's an excellent target round. The HK UPS compact is very easy for me to control in rapid or aimed fire. They soak up recoil very well. It can be safely carried in condition one if you get the #3 variant(just like the 1911 45 but safer since its a modern design), or with the hammer down using a double action pull for the first round. Condition one carry enables the shooter to have a short even trigger pull which generally enhances a shooter's accuracy. And the gun still can be presented very quickly if a threat appears.

Just a thought........

·
Registered
20 Posts
Malysh, my shooting buddy has a USP compact 40 caliber and I enjoy shooting it whenever I get a chance to. I have to admit that I shoot better with his USP than I do with my walther p99 or my glock. The only gripe that I have about the USP is the price. But you do get your money's worth. My buddy has put well over 5000 rounds through the thing at the range and has yet to experience any mechanical problems!

·
Registered
529 Posts
Malysh, my shooting buddy has a USP compact 40 caliber and I enjoy shooting it whenever I get a chance to. I have to admit that I shoot better with his USP than I do with my walther p99 or my glock. The only gripe that I have about the USP is the price. But you do get your money's worth. My buddy has put well over 5000 rounds through the thing at the range and has yet to experience any mechanical problems!
r.m.-
HKs are quite expensive compared to most other stock pistols. I cannot say they will last longer or are better, but they are always near the tops in many criteria. From casual observance, the two new HK models are also very expensive. Most of us could really suffice with less expensive guns, but who doesn't want the best, whether it's Walthers or HKs?
I am sorry if I've turned this into an HK thread. Walthers are excellent guns and I've had a thing for them longer than any other guns I can think of.

I hope bimmer051 can reach a good decision on what fits his needs best.

·
Registered
20 Posts
No prob Malysh! :D

I think that either way, bimmer051 make a great selection. I love both of my walthers and wouldn't change a thing if I had to do it all over again. However if I had practiced a bit more patience when I purchased my glock, I would've saved up a bit more and went for an HK instead. But my glock is still a workhorse in its own right.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dimensions

HK Glock Walther Sig
USP(c) P2000sk P30 26 PPS P99 P99(c) P239

length 6,81 6,42 6,99 6,29 6,3 7,1 6,6 6,6
Height 5,00 4,61 5,43 4,17 4,4 5,3 4,3 5,2
Width 1,14 1,28 1,37 1,18 1,04 1,3 1,3 1,2
Barrel 3,58 3,27 3,86 3,46 3,2 4 3,5 3,6
Sight 5,35 5,20 5,85 5,4
Weight 1,47 1,4 1,67 1,24 1,9 1,31 1,17 1,71
Mag 13 10 15 10 8 15 10 8

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was able to see the glock 26 Walther P99 and the usp compact today, I like the size of the glock, Usp compact felt comfortable in my hands. Chances of seeing the p30 and the P2000sk are minimal, but at this stage my main priority is concealed carry.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Walther in my opinion are better for you then the Glock. Although Glock probably is cheaper. If you like the Grip angle of the HK then you probably won't like the Glock as much.

How hard is it to get magazines where you are?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hi all!:) Please could you help me make up my mind.
I am considering getting a 9mm, I have narrowed my options down to the Walther PPS, and the HK P30

Pleases could you assist.I like the PPS because it can easily be concealed, and the P30 because of its magazine capacity.

What do you guys think?

FWIW:

Just as relates to the ease of concealed carry:

The above photo will give you an idea of the size & probability of easy concealment of the PPS vs the standard 38cal. snubby revolvers some folks carry for personal defense.

Keep in mind the mag. in the pictured PPS is the middle size, or 7rd. mag.. The smaller 6rd mag would have no length extension beyond the bottom of the girp of the PPS and would be about the same approximate length as the S&W Bodyguard.

Best Wishes,

JP

·
Registered
20 Posts
My top priority is concealment. I want a gun that can still be shot and controlled, but is invisible. For this, the PPS is ideal. It is even slimmer and more compact that it appears in photos. Not only am I glad I purchased the PPS, it has become my choice carry (even over my Kahr PM40).

Hope it helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Price wise the p99 and the usp and the p30 are the same price. The pps is the same price here as the HK p2000sk.
Mags are not a problem, once you have your license, in the process of sorting that out. Taken a look at the P99 the P99 compact and the Usp, the others are not available in the country at the moment. Like I said I am a bit of Walther fan, for me the are the mercedes benz of pistols. But the dealership here, are small, and they dont really know much. HK has better back up service, and are more available to purchase. Waiting to see the P2000sk this week.
I posted a table that i drew up in word, with all the dimensions of the pistols that I am considering, but wen I posted the went a bit uneven.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts