Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the 1936 Berlin Olympic Games. I wanted to ask about the Olympia Pistols.
1. How many were made?
2. How Many are Left?
3. Who Has them?
4. How many can still fire?
5. What is their Value as of this Year?

None of us can ever have one, nor would I want one, it is just a little 22LR Round. But It is the finest Olympic Pistol ever made, I would Guess? Paul

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, I was not aware they were available, are these Pistols from the Games, or did Walther Mass Produce the Gun after the Olympic Games in 1936? I knew Norinco had made a cheap Copy, but I thought the Olympias were rare to find, and would be in the 10s of Thousands of Dollars? Mostly in the hands of Private Collectiors. I see I was wrong. Paul

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
They were a production gun to compete against the Colt Woodsman. Postwar they were also built by Hammerli. Simpson's has eight on their website right now between $800-1700.

If it's a subject that you're interested in "The Walther Handgun Story" by Gene Gangarosa and "Walther Pistols and Rifles" by W.H.B. Smith Both have some good information on the Olympia and the non PP/PPK/P38 Walthers.

I've always ment to pick up an Olympia but have just never gotten around to it. I think I'd like to ad a TPH first.

Attachments

·
Registered
796 Posts
Sorry, I was not aware they were available, are these Pistols from the Games, or did Walther Mass Produce the Gun after the Olympic Games in 1936? I knew Norinco had made a cheap Copy, but I thought the Olympias were rare to find, and would be in the 10s of Thousands of Dollars? Mostly in the hands of Private Collectiors. I see I was wrong. Paul
The original design was for the 1932 Olympics using Walther's earlier sport pistol design from the mid-1920s. Wiki has a nice discussion of the pistol here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walther_Olympia

There is no record of the serial number of the pistols provided to either the contestants in the 1932 or the victors in the 1936 Olympic games. Production continued into the war years of pistols made at Zella-Mehlis.

Reactions: pilkguns

·
Registered
10 Posts
I own a 1936 .22 cal rapid fire Olympic pistol in the original box. There is a #W 323 hand written on the side of the box.There are factory numbers stamped on the magazine and gun as well. I inherited it from my uncle who was stationed in Germany in WW2 and he got it in Germany.When he was alive , he told me it was fired at the Olympics but I could not verify it. I posted some photos on Wikipedia, they would not upload pics of the gun just the box and gun descriptions that were in the box. If anyone can shed some light on the history I would appreciate it

·
Registered
796 Posts
I tried Wiki but didn't see your pics. Pehaps you can provide a link or post the images here? It would be a great help and be very interesting to view.

·
Registered
10 Posts
1936 Olympic Pistol

Thanks for the reply. I am not too good with the computer so I have to figure out how to upload the pics. I will do it later, have to work right now

·
Registered
796 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I am not too good with the computer so I have to figure out how to upload the pics. I will do it later, have to work right now
You know, trying to dig your pictures our of Wiki Commons was not easy. Uploading images to a post on this forum is not difficult. Just click go advanced and then click manage file attachments. Select decent sized images and upload to the forum to make life easier for those trying to help you.

From the images I found on your Wiki contribution, you don't have a pistol used in the Olympics. You have a nice Walther Jägerpistole created by Walther for the new requirements of the German hunting regulations in the late 1930s. The instruction manual states as much: Jägerpistole. I couldn't make out if the pistol serial number is printed on the green tag on the side of the box lid. What is the serial number of your pistol? Perhaps the letter/number combo written on the side of the lid is some kind of inventory number with the letter W indicating a Walther pistol.

Walther made four varieties of the Olympic pistol design for different target shooting situations. Attached is an example of another Jägerpistole in its shooter's case.

Attachments

Reactions: pilkguns

·
Registered
796 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Both names were used. Imo the term Jägerschaftspistole used by DJV was too large (beside a long pistol)...

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
While the Deutscher Jagdschutzverband may have sanctioned the matches, the örtlichen Jägerschaftsverbände were organising the shoots.

I shot DJV sanctioned matches and the guns used were called Jägerschaftspistolen.

But that was not in 1936:) ...

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Andy, I don't know where the Wikipedia author found that name in the English language sources he used, but the name used by Walther to market the pistol was Jägerpistole as you can see on the manual included in the box.
It is not from English language sources. That is how the Walther and its successor, the Hämmerli 212, are known in Germany.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts