Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard fro ma gun store clerk today that WAlther is no longer producing P99s and forwarded full production over to S&W.IS this True? I have a friend who wants to buy his first handgun and I recommended him a p99 but the store clerk told him this and instead recommenced a Beretta Px4.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I highly doubt that Walther has stopped making their flagship pistol.

In other words, if they stopped making the P99 then the only gun they'd be producing is the PPS - a compact 9mm.

Dont see this happening. Sounds like the clerk is either misinformed or really wants to sell a PX4.

thorn

·
Registered
105 Posts
S&W dropped the SW99 in favor of their own M&P.

Ever notice how many people talk about walking into a gun store with a particular model in mind, only to have a salesman tell them what a POS it is, and suggest something better?

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
This is not true - this is another rumor, just like "P99 is totally discontinued"

Just another story from someone who doesn't know what they are talking about...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WEll I don't care if S&W stopped making their 99, I like my guns made completely in their home country. I'll see if I can find him a p99c probably in 9mm

·
Registered
51 Posts
I was at my gun store yesterday and talking to the guys behind the counter, they said Smith & Wesson wasn't going to be the Walther P99 distributer anymore b/c they want to push their M&P. They also said to expect the production of the SW99 to end soon. But the SW990L is still on the S&W online catalog and S&W is still listed on WaltherAmerica.com

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

All I can say is... don't belive all what the guys behind the counter tell you.....
A gunstore owner has money to make.... they sell guns that are in the store and will tell you anything in order to sell a gun....
That said... yes the P99/AS in 9mm has been hard to find... even at distributor levels... but that does not mean that the P99 is out the door or anything like it....
the SW99 has been dicontinued some time now (over a year)... but please don't belive that there is no more P99's

·
Registered
910 Posts
Given the problems S&W is having with th M&P mag catch/spring (contributing to repeated cases of mags dropping while firing), putting all your apples in the M&P basket would be like a ship without a rudder better yet, a basked without a bottom. The kinks have yet to be worked out of the M&P. I had two, both are gone after multiple trips back to the factory. I have far more confidence in my two P99's than I ever had with my M&P's.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
This is funny......
my boss used to be a used car salesman :D
Oops, I guess I mean a gunstore clerk is just trying to sell what they have in stock, just like a used car salesman. I hope I have not offended any fellow forum members who may be gun store clerks or car salesmen.:D (I am trying to dig my way out of this).

You know there are alot of very good store clerks, I was looking at wartime P38's and the lady behind the counter told me up from that she know nothing about them and wasn't going to give me any war stories. That was a breath of fresh air. And then other times I have let them dig themselves into a hole until at the end I say, "you know, it really is etc, etc" and then they are quick to want to walk away and wait on other customers.

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Yep - the Sw99 was discontinued at the end of 2005. The SW990L is still on their website, but was never put in the 2007 catelog that came out in Dec 2006/Jan 2007 - so, the status of that is iffy, but I imagine it will be discontinued totally.

But, that has nothing to do with the P99

·
Banned
154 Posts
I hope I have not offended any fellow forum members who may be gun store clerks or car salesmen.:D (I am trying to dig my way out of this).

No apology needed. Most GS clerks in my area are total AHoles and have little knowledge on the products they sell. Given the polictal climate, thats dangerous.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ever notice how many people talk about walking into a gun store with a particular model in mind, only to have a salesman tell them what a POS it is, and suggest something better?

So true. Back in 2004 I finally found a shop with the P99 but the clerk there tried to convince me to get a $1,200 Kimber 1911 instead. A bit later I found a new P99 at Galyans for less and bought it there.

·
Banned
154 Posts
So true. Back in 2004 I finally found a shop with the P99 but the clerk there tried to convince me to get a $1,200 Kimber 1911 instead. A bit later I found a new P99 at Galyans for less and bought it there.
Thats because a 45 will immediately put down anyone you hit with it while the 9mm is one step above a pellet gun and should only be used by women or Europeans.

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Thats because a 45 will immediately put down anyone you hit with it while the 9mm is one step above a pellet gun and should only be used by women or Europeans.
Well I was looking for a volunteer to try out my Extreme Shock 9MM Fang Face ammo on...looks like I found one!!! :D
You don't happen to wear blue tights and a shirt with a big red "S" on it do you?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
68 Posts
I went into a gunshop that carries class 3 items, and saw a P22 w/ can. I said I wish it were more like a P99 in size, and the clerk immediately said "P99's are pieces of shit. I've had to send back every one we've ever sold, that's why we don't carry them. They both went full-auto on the guys who bought them. Never buy one."

I said "Hmm." and haven't been back.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts