Walther Forums banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,926 Posts
I was in a local store that claims to be only one of 50 stores in the U.S. that Walther sends the Meister series guns to. (I tend to believe them, because the have them and are a huge Walther dealer). Anyway, they told me that Walther is discontinuing the PPQ polymer series. So I'm speculating that this new Walther will be taking over that line.

Anyone else hear of this?
I have not heard that. I find what you are saying surprising but who knows.

I would think they'd replace the PPS and CCP before the PPQ.

I guess we will all know pretty soon.

·
Premium Member
1,610 Posts
I can't see the PPQ or PPS going anywhere. Maybe an M3 upgrade.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I was in a local store that claims to be only one of 50 stores in the U.S. that Walther sends the Meister series guns to. (I tend to believe them, because the have them and are a huge Walther dealer). Anyway, they told me that Walther is discontinuing the PPQ polymer series. So I'm speculating that this new Walther will be taking over that line.

Anyone else hear of this?
Hmm. That’s really interesting. And, if true, may suggest something different than the Hellcat/P365 alt. we’ve been expecting.

But what’s the logic in Walther killing the polymer PPQs? Are they going to all metaI for sized pistols? I mean, profit margins are higher on poly guns... unless the poly PPQs aren’t selling enough to justify their presence in the lineup. I mean... they are... big.

That said, maybe they’re thinking there’s more money in carry guns (which brings back to the Hellcat/P365 alt) and they’ll save full-sized guns for mil and LEO sakes.

I dunno. Just wanton speculation. But it’s interesting to think about.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Yea, there were 3 of the employees that all said the same thing, that the PPQ would be going away. They didn't know why either. I have no reason to doubt them, as they are a huge Walther dealer and most of the staff carry a Walther of one sort or the other. And they have been getting in the Meister Series of PPQ's on a regular basis, so I think they have the inside scoop on a lot of what Walther is doing. They didn't know much about the new Walther. Not sure if they didn't want to tell me or if they really didn't know.

My WAG on the new Walther. It may be something similar to an STI, where the grip is polymer, but the "frame" is steel. This would solve the weight problem and provide some excellent accuracy akin to the metal to metal slide/frame fit. I think STI's patent must have run out, because I'm seeing a lot of different manufacturers making these type of pistols lately.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Yea, there were 3 of the employees that all said the same thing, that the PPQ would be going away. They didn't know why either. I have no reason to doubt them, as they are a huge Walther dealer and most of the staff carry a Walther of one sort or the other. And they have been getting in the Meister Series of PPQ's on a regular basis, so I think they have the inside scoop on a lot of what Walther is doing. They didn't know much about the new Walther. Not sure if they didn't want to tell me or if they really didn't know.

My WAG on the new Walther. It may be something similar to an STI, where the grip is polymer, but the "frame" is steel. This would solve the weight problem and provide some excellent accuracy akin to the metal to metal slide/frame fit. I think STI's patent must have run out, because I'm seeing a lot of different manufacturers making these type of pistols lately.
If they do know anything they are under an NDA which means that if they were to tell you and Walther found out that could jeopardize their special status as a dealer. Guess we'll just have to wait until February......

·
Registered
174 Posts
The only way I can see them discontinuing the PPQ is if they were replacing it with a modular system like the P320. The PPQ seems to be popular and is a great platform that now has a lot of aftermarket support. A modular gun would likely be unable to share any, or very few, internal parts with the PPQ, as it would use a serialized chassis. This type of a change would probably warrant a name change other than just "PPQ M3/M4" but hopefully could still use the same magazines, magwells, optic plates, sights, etc.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hmm. Maybe they’ve designed a completely new service pistol platform? I guess modularity would make sense, in that case.

Still, I think it could be a 365/Hellcat kinda thing. Then They’ll just phase out the PPQ gradually. Kinda like they did with the P99. Though the PPQ is basically still considered a P99 in other parts of the world... I think?

But who knows.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Here it is! What you can see of it anyway...
Upon close inspection I can't find a single difference between this and the standard PPQ trigger guard area. Takedown looks the same as the polymer PPQ. Appears to be just as wide as the standard PPQ from what I can tell so now I have doubts about a P365 competitor... Gotta say I'm more puzzled now than I was before I saw the picture! Not sure what else they would do with the polymer PPQ since we already have all sorts of configurations. Unless it's simply a new caliber? 5.7mm? 10mm?

·
Premium Member
1,926 Posts
Thanks for posting this. It's polymer and striker-fired. I can't tell thickness from the photo. It's PPQ-esque, thats for sure.

If it is essentially a PPQ 2.0 I'll guess the grip stipple is different as it the optics-mounting solution.

That's just a wag. Like you bandit, the photo leads me away from the theory its a P365/Hellcat competitor.

I think we can rule out the return of the PP Super, P5 or P88 though.

·
Registered
139 Posts
You cant tell anything anout width size from the photo! Trigger guard is ala the original PP 99 or PPS M1.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
It has a trigger dingus, so it isn't a P99 trigger type. Sadly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
[QUOTE="Mattyd380, post: 1261198, member: 87250"

Of course I hope this is all wrong and they give us a DA/SA Q4 or 7.65 PPK... but... if I had to bet money..,
[/QUOTE]

My gf Loves shooting my PP ...so Yes a new 7.65 would be a dream come true. ( A .380 is still a bit much for her - she wasn't that comfortable with it ) I gots Loads of 7.65 ammo, but only shoot the PP a couple times a a year. Crazy how scarce the .32s \ 7.65s pistols are...

21 - 40 of 43 Posts