Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NEW PRODUCT COMING IN FEBRUARY!
Hint... It's a handgun. We REALLY want to tell you more but we are exercising restraint. We have a LOT of exciting news coming up about the new member of the Walther Family. Please stay tuned and sorry for the teaser, but we couldn't hold it in any longer.​

[/TD]

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I doubt Walther is pushing a mish-mash of someone elses mod of their weapons. This sounds like a new pistol, and the other photos seem to show a different magazine that is slimmer. I'm hoping its not yet ANOTHER PPQ variant....

·
Registered
667 Posts
I'll go all in and say it's gonna be a beautifully blued PPK chambered in 7.65 with a post-war PPK -style tang, rather than the ugly, long tang on the guns from Ft Smith.

(A fella can dream; right?).

·
Premium Member
1,931 Posts
I doubt Walther is pushing a mish-mash of someone elses mod of their weapons. This sounds like a new pistol, and the other photos seem to show a different magazine that is slimmer. I'm hoping its not yet ANOTHER PPQ variant....
Yeah. I don't think Walther is referring to the DDX.

It's not that I have anything against new PPQ variants. The PPQ is a good platform. I was hoping for some more ambitious though and maybe we will still see that!

·
Registered
80 Posts
A P99ish incarnation of the q4 steel frame? Hell, they could just put a safety on the q4sf as is. The PPQ trigger is great... but it’s just too light for me without a safety.

A 7.65mm PPK would be cool too. I feel like people do ask for that... it’s possible, I guess.

But hi-cap micro pistols and electro red dot thingies are what’s trending in the industry right now. I’d be surprised if it wasn’t a p365/hellcat competitor or some version of something with an optic.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Would a double stack PPS be any smaller than a PPQ SC or P99C?
Yeah, I dunno. Maybe not enough to matter.

I feel like it might kinda be like the XDS and the Hellcat—the Hellcat is sort of a different animal than the XDS platform... I think it’s even smaller.

Of course I hope this is all wrong and they give us a DA/SA Q4 or 7.65 PPK... but... if I had to bet money..,

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
No one at Walther has the skills to make a PP Super, and there is no market for one at the price it would cost to make it if they did. It's the same reasons why the P5 can no longer be made.

If Walther is smart it will be a small CCW pistol along the lines of the Sig P365, except they will be years late to that party, as usual. Whatever it is, I hope Walther can somehow muster the marketing chops to properly promote it, lest it become another good hand gun that is only purchased by an ever smaller group of old Walther guys like us.

·
Premium Member
1,615 Posts
No one at Walther has the skills to make a PP Super, and there is no market for one at the price it would cost to make it if they did. It's the same reasons why the P5 can no longer be made.
I can't agree with this. There are many companies in the US building all metal handguns today. I've got both a PP Super and a P5 and neither looks more complicated to make than any other pistol. The real problem is that Walther has never done a very good job with their marketing in the US. They should be at least as big if not bigger than Sig, HK, and CZ.

·
Premium Member
1,931 Posts

If Walther is smart it will be a small CCW pistol along the lines of the Sig P365, except they will be years late to that party, as usual. Whatever it is, I hope Walther can somehow muster the marketing chops to properly promote it, lest it become another good hand gun that is only purchased by an ever smaller group of old Walther guys like us.
I agree with your points about the PP Super and P5. I will fall out of my chair if Walther brings them back. Manufacturing is different now and the people needed to support the older manufacturing methods would be hard to come by, and expensive if you can find them.

I'm not sure I agree with your contention though that Walther handguns are being sold to a smaller and smaller pool of buyers.

I admit I don't have data to back this up but it is not uncommon to see people shooting PPQs at the range nowadays.

I'd be surprised if the PPQ is not Walther's biggest seller since the PPx series many decades ago.

They seemed to have carved out a decent niche for themselves with that gun in a market crowded with such guns.

Once again, I'll admit I don't have the data to back up my hunch. I'd love to see that kind of data but I don't think it's public info.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lets face it. If it weren't for the PPK placement in Bond films Walther would be a historical footnote in the arms manufacturing histories being written about the 20th century.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Sadly, I must agree with you. But, what then, with the Bersa, the Makarov, the FEG, and numerous others?

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Lets face it. If it weren't for the PPK placement in Bond films Walther would be a historical footnote in the arms manufacturing histories being written about the 20th century.
I came to Walthers because of an interest in German military and police arms, long before I really noticed Bond. As a kid we only got to go to drive-in movies once in a while, stuff like Hatari and Sound of Music <shudder> and the folks wouldn’t pick something like Dr No for an outing. My first exposure was either a WWII movie on a Saturday or the Man from UNCLE on TV in ‘64 . His gun was a modified P.38. I’m guessing it started there for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I was in a local store that claims to be only one of 50 stores in the U.S. that Walther sends the Meister series guns to. (I tend to believe them, because the have them and are a huge Walther dealer). Anyway, they told me that Walther is discontinuing the PPQ polymer series. So I'm speculating that this new Walther will be taking over that line.

Anyone else hear of this?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts