Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can anyone give me date the age of our Walther model 9. This all of the information I have. Walther Model 9 “Vest Pocket” Pistol, Sn: 852567, Manufacturer : Waffen Fabrik Walther Zells Mehlls, 25 Cal. it belongs to my wife and use to belong to her father. She is thinking of selling, but wants to know its age so we can get an estimate of its market value.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Lackey76,

I would love to tell you about your Walther Model 9. However you have provided a serial number that does not correspond to any Model 9 produced. Serial numbers for Model 9's begin with 410000 and go to about 655000. And then they go from 190000 N to about 198000N. Please check the serial number and re-post it. If the serial number is on the right side of the frame behind the grip then it is probably 425567 or 525567. If it is on the left side on the frame behind the trigger then it is probably 625567.

If you post some pictures then I will be able to tell you a great deal more about your pistol and its potential value. Plus you can share your little Walther 9 with the rest of us on this Forum.

Here is a link to an article that will give you more information about what to look for: Walther Model 9

I look forward to hearing back from you regarding your Wife's pistol.

Earl

·
Registered
273 Posts
Amazing info from Earl. Thank you! A couple of questions: My sn # 552994 apparently dates to about 1930. It has the 6.35 right grip on a disc, and a CW disc on the left. The grips are a little loose, especially on the left. Do you remove both grips to access the screw on the left? Is there a spanner that fits both the #8 and #9 grips? On this gun, 'the last three digits of the sn are (NOT) stamped on the front slide atop the cross bar.' What is to be made of that? The entire sn is stamped on the right rear of the frame. Other than that, Earl's description is perfect. Thx again

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Walther Model 9 Pics

emount,
Thanks for the response. I rechecked the serial number and here is a picture of it.

IMG_0751_zpsb83b0fdd.jpg Photo by lackey76 | Photobucket

I had it checked out by gunsmith John F. of Corrales and he mentioned you as a local expert in WWII weapons.

Our immediate goal is to learn its age, if possible, given that Walther records were destroyed during the war.

·
Registered
203 Posts
emount,
Thanks for the response. I rechecked the serial number and here is a picture of it.

IMG_0751_zpsb83b0fdd.jpg Photo by lackey76 | Photobucket

I had it checked out by gunsmith John F. of Corrales and he mentioned you as a local expert in WWII weapons.

Our immediate goal is to learn its age, if possible, given that Walther records were destroyed during the war.

Lackey76,

Thank you for the pictures. They are a great help.
Walther Model 9 serial number 582567 was manufactured around 1927 +/-. It is a typical Type II. The original magazine will probably have the WALTHER banner logo on the bottom and a flat steel follower. (There was no magazine visible in the pictures).

Currently there are a trio of similar condition Model 9 Walther pistols that have been listed on Gunbroker for between $475.00 and $550.00 and NOT selling. Regretably Model 9 Walther prices are fairly depressed these days.

John F. in Corrales is a great gunsmith. I do not know if I am an "expert" in WWII weapons, but I do know my way around a Walther Model 9 pretty well.

I will be at the Albuquerque Gunshow on May 4th and 5th. Perhaps I will see you there!

Earl

·
Registered
203 Posts
Amazing info from Earl. Thank you! A couple of questions: My sn # 552994 apparently dates to about 1930. It has the 6.35 right grip on a disc, and a CW disc on the left. The grips are a little loose, especially on the left. Do you remove both grips to access the screw on the left? Is there a spanner that fits both the #8 and #9 grips? On this gun, 'the last three digits of the sn are (NOT) stamped on the front slide atop the cross bar.' What is to be made of that? The entire sn is stamped on the right rear of the frame. Other than that, Earl's description is perfect. Thx again
bakerfieldkelley,

I appreciate the kind words. With regards to your Walther Model 9 serial number 552994, I believe that it was manufctured earlier than 1930. Perhaps closer to 1928 or 1929. You have a very intreguing Model 9. The grip retention disks on your pistol are more consistent with an earlier production (pre 1925) Model 9. I have another 552XXX range Model 9 in my data base which also has the early grip disks, so yours is proably all original. It is one of the non-typical pistols that make collectors crazy. I would really love to see some pictures of your Model 9. Walther used the early grip medallions on the Model 9b pistols. Typical 9b's have acid etched engraving on the slide, but I have Serial number 568XXX in my collection which has early grip medallions and NO etching on the slide and it is in a matching box marked "9b". This one is the earliest 9b that I have recorded. Perhaps your pistol is an example of an even earlier Model 9b. That would be very cool.

The missing serial number on the slide is uncommon, but it is seen from time to time. If all the other features of the slide are consisgtent with an early Type II and the finish on the slide and the frame appears consistent then it is probably the original slide.

As for your loose grips: In order to properly tighten the left grip screw from the inside the right grip does need to be removed. I make special tool sets which allow pretty easy removal and installation of Model 8 and Model 9 grips. Here is a link to a thread about these tools that I posted awhile back on another site: Early Walther Model 9 Grip Removal Tools

I need to make up some more sets as I am currently out of them.

You have an interesting little pistol. I would really appreciate some pictures to study.

Earl

·
Registered
273 Posts
Model 9

I still have not mastered the art of posting pictures, so I will send Earl a few by regular mail. And yes, the magazine has 'Walther' stamped on the bottom. Thanks for your expertise and help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts