Walther Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my Walther Model 1 to my dad's farm a few weeks ago and filmed him shooting it. I thought members here might be interested to see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNQsb1509CY

The scope is a Carl Zeiss Zielklein from the 1920s. The mount isn't optimal, since neither the mount nor the scope has a windage adjustment, but it's only about an inch to the right at 50 yards. A vintage adjustable Akah mount sold on eBay recently for $500, which was more than I was willing to spend!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Cool gun, thanks for posting. Why did they make it so it can operate both in semi auto and bolt? Was it done like that for military training of some sort?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To be honest, I'm not sure if there's really a practical point to it. I guess just to give people options? Walther's motto is "innovation," so maybe they just did it to innovate in a way.

I've read some vintage sales literature for the gun, and while they brag about how it can shoot in 3 modes, they must think the value is self-evident because they don't really sell you on WHY you need it!

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've never seen one except a few photos. Where did you find it? Excellent post, thank you.
They really are excruciatingly hard to turn up. I had been looking for one in good shape for a couple years and finally came across this one at a Little John's auction earlier this year.

I did find a Model 2 (which is similar) at a gun show several months ago but, like most I've seen, it wasn't original - it had a new stock and I think it was parkerized.

Speaking of non-original, there's actually one on Gunbroker right now:
Scarce Walther Model 1 rifle in 22LR : Curios & Relics at GunBroker.com

It has a strange lever on the back that to my knowledge isn't correct and I can't figure out how it got there. If you can figure out a sighting system for it it might be a steal. It also has the very rare 9-round magazine, which is probably worth at least $150.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Potato,

unfortunately the accessories for vintage Walther guns are very expensive. Akah mounts have always been the German standard for quality and new rings are starting well above $200.

That is a nice rifle that you have there and those old Zeiss scopes are surprisingly clear.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I know that I may end up having to cough up some bucks for a vintage mount for this gun. In the meantime, I've started rummaging through the tables of scope mounts at gun shows that I used to just ignore, hoping to find an old Akah for $30 or something. :)

·
Registered
1,657 Posts

It has a strange lever on the back that to my knowledge isn't correct and I can't figure out how it got there.
The one on GB is incorrectly identified as a Model 1, when in actuality, it is a Model 2. What gives it away as a Model 2 is the "strange lever" you commented about, which is the 180° safety lever that the Model 2's had, as opposed to the sliding tang safety on the Model 1's.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The one on GB is incorrectly identified as a Model 1, when in actuality, it is a Model 2. What gives it away as a Model 2 is the "strange lever" you commented about, which is the 180° safety lever that the Model 2's had, as opposed to the sliding tang safety on the Model 1's.
Oh, duh, you're right. I usually recognize those by the rear sight (which has been removed) and the stock fore end profile, which isn't photographed. It looks like that lever is also bigger than I thought it was.

So, it might be a good deal on a Model 2 without the rear sight.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Not all that surprising, as Carl Zeiss was then, and still is, the premier manufacturer of optics on the planet.
Well, Zeiss has to share that position with Svarowski. I have a S&B 3-12x56 that ain't shabby and a 6x42 Svarowski that I like at least as much my my Hensoldt and Zeiss scopes.

Coming to think of it, for sentimental reasons, I prefer Hensoldt. Even though they are in the same building since such a long time.

·
Registered
69 Posts
They really are excruciatingly hard to turn up. I had been looking for one in good shape for a couple years and finally came across this one at a Little John's auction earlier this year.

I did find a Model 2 (which is similar) at a gun show several months ago but, like most I've seen, it wasn't original - it had a new stock and I think it was parkerized.

It has a strange lever on the back that to my knowledge isn't correct and I can't figure out how it got there. If you can figure out a sighting system for it it might be a steal. It also has the very rare 9-round magazine, which is probably worth at least $150.
As others have noted the gun on Gunbroker has the Model 2 safety, and appears to also be cut for the Model 2 rear sight. However the pictures of the gun don't even show the entire barrel or stock. So it may be a parts gun, or it may be all Model 2. Hard to say if the stock is complete, the front sling swivel is present or if the barrel is complete, or if the front sight is present. I have a Model 2 rear sight I could put on this gun, if the rest of it is there (and is for a Model 2), but the pictures don't even show that. I thought the price others have already bid ($330 right now) was too high to take a chance. Every time I have decided to "take a chance" or "just go for it" on a gun I couldn't see in person I was disappointed. My experience is that there is a reason parts of the rifle aren't being shown in the pictures, and it isn't a good reason.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the video.I own a model 1just like that but with an improvised scope mount,no problem taking rabbits in the head at 80 yrds,what a rifle!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Cool gun, thanks for posting. Why did they make it so it can operate both in semi auto and bolt? Was it done like that for military training of some sort?
I believe bolt action is considered more accurate for long range shooting,semi auto for closer range shooting but with a higher rate of fire.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts