Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear, I just inherited a Walther Manurhin PP, caliber 0.32 (7.65mm) from 1956. It is in perfect condition, clean and oiled, always kept in a dry and warm place. Along with the weapon I found a couple of boxes of Walther ammunition, which must have been from the time.
I am writing to consult first if it is recommended to practice dry fire with this weapon, or it could damage it.
and second, what they think about the state of an ammunition with more than 50 years.

Best regards.

BTC

Attachments

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
I would use a snap cap for practice. We've heard about broken safety drums. I have some older Geco, S&B and Hirthenberger ammo. No problem.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Agree on snap caps. The ammo should be fine to fire, but I wouldn't because it's rare here, at least, and goes well with the rest of the outfit. Don't see Walther brand ammo, don't think it's made anymore, while modern 7.65 is widely available.

·
Registered
10,260 Posts
I take a piece of 1/4" - 3/8" rubber fuel line, cut off 1/4" and slice that down the middle. It can then be squeezed a bit to fit between the rear shoulders of the slide and give the hammer a nice soft landing...DA or SA.

P22 above but works the same on any PP pistol. Cheap, easy to make a dozen or more, very tough stuff. I usually cut just off center when slicing in two to so that one side has a bit more rubber for squeezing between the slot in the slide.

If a self defense pistol...don't forget to remove or your pistol won't fire. 1917

·
Registered
105 Posts
Same idea—I use a foam earplug. The advantage of the earplug is that it requires no cutting, shaping etc and it is bright yellow so easily seen (and thus not easily forgotten).

·
Registered
61 Posts
The solution proposed by the friend "1917-1911M" is very ingenious.

However, my opinion is that the PP Series Pistol is not recommended to be fired dry.

To be honest, no pistol or revolver is, but some weapons are stronger than others for this practice.

The dry shooting practice exercise, also called "calisthenics" is an ancient practice, very effective and economical and adapted to be practiced in the privacy of the home in confined spaces.

It is ideal to practice now in times of quarantine closure due to the pandemic.

You can, however, use specific ammunition for dry practice. You can get it at your local gun store.
Here I publish a photo with some examples of this inert ammunition for dry practice.

If you do not succeed in your region, you can also use an empty detonated cartridge, which is not the best option but is always better than nothing.

Taken the original idea presented by the friend Mr. "1917 - 1911M", which I really like because it protects the entire mechanism from impact, not just the hammer, which is a piece that usually suffers with this practice.

It occurs to me as a variation of this modality,
Take a piece of high-density silicone rubber tape "EVA" type and fasten it between both sides of the sliding carriage. At the end of the exercise, simply remove the piece of tape.

The advantage that I see in this variation is that it does not require manuality, it is very simple to apply, and it has two great advantages, it is impossible to forget, and the other advantage that I see is that as you use it you can run it when you see that it pierces, also does not leave any remains inside the weapon.
Similarly my recommendation is that for the particular case of the Walther PP Series, use both things, the inert ammunition or an empty capsule and the EVA silicone tape.

Just my two cents.
Luck !

L

·
Registered
61 Posts
Same idea—I use a foam earplug. The advantage of the earplug is that it requires no cutting, shaping etc and it is bright yellow so easily seen (and thus not easily forgotten).
Reviewing the thread, I must admit that the idea that Mr. PANTER MIKE proposes is, in my opinion, the best of all the suggested ones, much better than mine, since the silicone ear plug (brand 3M), as the good he mentions is very visible, impossible to forget since it does not need any modification, it is very good.

In addition, although it is always advisable to put an inert ammunition or in the absence of an empty capsule to protect the firing pin. Perhaps with the ear protector you can dispense with the capsule because because the ear protector greatly cushions the blow.

Luck !

·
Registered
10,260 Posts
I find they flatten out in short order affording little protection. I've used them for years for a few hammer drops. Snap caps for center fire. 1917

·
Registered
61 Posts
[QUOTE = "Pantera Mike, publicación: 1246105, miembro: 94132"]
La misma idea: uso un tapón de espuma para los oídos. La ventaja del tapón auditivo es que no requiere corte, forma, etc. y es de color amarillo brillante tan fácil de ver (y por lo tanto no se olvida fácilmente).
[/CITAR]

Rereading the thread, I find that Mr. "Panther Mike's" idea is a better idea, more practical and effective than my suggestion of duct tape.
I am thinking of ear protectors (brand 3M) and perhaps even inert ammunition can be dispensed with, as it greatly cushions the hammer blow.}

The delicate piece that needs to be protected and is prone to break is the Hammer Needle.
However, it is advisable if possible to supplement it with an inert ammunition or in the absence of a used capsule.
Luck !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts