Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering how old my GX-1 was and I sent an e-mail to Walther and this was the response.

When and where was my Walther weapon produced?

As this kind of investigation is very time-consuming and for that reason very expensive, we are unfortunately only able to provide these information to law enforcement agencies free of charge. For answering to inquiries of private individuals we have unfortunately to charge a service fee.

Please find hereafter some general information which will help you to identify your weapon in an easy way.

For all weapons produced prior to the end of WW II in ZELLA-MEHLIS, we do not have any records as the factory there was totally destroyed and all documents got lost in the chaos of war. In the case you own a PP or PPK with letters “P” or “K” at the end of serial number it is a pistol produced prior to 1945. Weapons produced after WW II were manufactured in ULM-DONAU.

Concerning pistols produced by MANURHIN in France and sold under the name MANURHIN we do not have any records, too, and cannot help you with the identification. The same situation we have with the US-made stainless pistols model PP, PPK or PPK/S.

Since 1958 all German weapons had been marked with the German proof marks and in addition with the last two numbers of the year of proof i.e. 67 = 1967. Since 1968 the year of proof is coded by two letters. This code can be translated in the following manner:

A=0, B=1, C=2, D=3, E=4, F=5, G=6, H=7, I=8, K=9. In order to avoid any confusion, there is only an “I” and not a “J”. Hence, a weapon marked with the code “HK” was proofed by a German proof house in 1979.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
First we've seen that they've started charging for this information. It also may depend on who is actually answering the email and what mood that person is in on any given day ... who knows? But thanks for sharing this just the same.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
You also have to remember that after the last war, because of the Nuremberg trials, the German no longer keep records like they use to do.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Really? You'r kidding.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
No; that's the last two digits of the serial number. See the last paragraph in the opening post in this thread. That's the key to unlocking when your rifle was made.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Those are the only numbers/letters that I could find. Where should I be looking to find either the proof mark numbers or letters? Thanks again

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have another KKJ .22 for your list, date was given to me by Walther as the barrel had no date stamp. Rifle was originally sold in Germany.

416** - 1960

·
Registered
5 Posts
Walther SN question--

I "think" the Walther I have is a KKM, but am not sure. Serial number is 01xx37. It has no letters or what would appear to be a date associated with that set of number. Anyone have any idea what the manufacture date might be?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just acquired a KKJ today at a local pawn shop.

Going off the serial number data provided here I believe it was manufactured in 1958. The SN is 376xx with no letter prefix.

It came with one magazine, has a leather sling and a leather trimmed canvas scabbard. The scabbard and sling look to be of the same period as the rifle. This rifle is in near mint condition. The only mark is a little bluing wear on the rear of the bolt. Looking at the magazine, bolt face, and chamber it doesn't look like it has ever been fired.

Thanks to all the great info posted here I think I've got a real gem.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
You are off to a great start: First post and a very nice gun. It shows that some real finds are out there for those who are patient and alert.

It would be interesting to know what part of the country you're in, and the approximate price paid.

M

·
Registered
94 Posts
Nice catch. If you're interested in getting the front sight hood for it, try Earl's Repair Service in VA. My KKJ came through with it intact but it was bent into an oblong shape. Earl was able to supply a reasonably priced new one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You are off to a great start: First post and a very nice gun. It shows that some real finds are out there for those who are patient and alert.

It would be interesting to know what part of the country you're in, and the approximate price paid.

M
M

I'm in Washington State. Found the rifle in a pawn shop in Wenatchee. I got the Walter as part of a bundle along with a CZ 452-2e Ultra lux with the 28" barrel. I got them both for $1,000. I think any way you slice it I got a good deal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here's another story.

I inherited some of those Walther smallbore rifles, the oldest one is a KKM International Match. I think it will be complete once I have sorted out all the spare parts from a box. According to the SN 008508, I must be one of the early models, and mid 1950's is a good match.

But, and that's the sad part of the story, the bolt was once repaired in a very unprofessional way. The firing pin was replaced by a later modell, and also a spring pin is missing.

Maybe I'm able to get it replaced sometimes in future. Following the threads in this forum is really interesting and helpfull, 3 different models of triggers and firing pins...

https://imgur.com/djUOoyc
https://imgur.com/GhAVRJl

1 - 20 of 22 Posts