Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for the group... What (besides capacity) are the differences between the 10 round and 12 round .40 magazines?

I have seen pictures of the 12 rounders, and I have 9 of the 10 rounders myself, I can't seem to figure out how they add the extra capacity, if the sizes are the same...

Do they add in coils of the spring to take up the extra space at the bottom of the mag?

Thanks
Adam

·
Registered
232 Posts
Most likely the follower is longer on the low cap magazines. On my 10 round mag for my 9mm the bottom is plastic. There's literally a spacer to allow a shorter mag to fit into a full length mag well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm.... I know how they did it with the 9mm mags. I have seen one of those, and the floor plate was about an inch deep, and the mag body was an inch or so shorter. I have looked online and I just cant seem to find any physical difference. Maybe I'll break down one of my mags, and lay the parts next to a ruler and take a pic. Hopefully one of the guys here can tell me what is different.

Adam

·
Registered
189 Posts
While the overall length of the fullsize 10 and 12 round 40 cal magazines are the same top to bottom, on the 10 rounder the floorplate is a bigger "chunk" of plastic to help make up the difference in the shortened metal portion of the mag body. In the 12 rounder, the metal mag body goes down all the way to the bottom of the floorplate. It's easier to see with pictures of the side and rear of the mag. I'll snap a couple and post them shortly.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Mambro,

Excellent work !!! That is what makes this forum kind of special....member's willing to take some time to make answers clear and easy to understand.

You just answered the question with a "thousand words"

Great work !

JF

1 - 7 of 7 Posts