Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone noticed the Walther knife with the outline of the P99 cutout in the blade?
It looks nice. Anybody have one or know of it's quality?
Thanks

·
Registered
263 Posts
Tha's no knife...now this is a knife;

Lol, just MHO.  I have seen the knife you pictured with the cutout at a gunshow.  I didn't handle it though.  I thought it looked kinda cheesy with the cutout and everything.  If you're going to buy a folder like that, I'd look at other manufacturers.  My guess is you'd probably be paying more for the name and the unique cutout than for a quality blade.

I personally prefer Kershaws' Ken Onion series.  Functional and easy to use assisted opening, quality craftsmanship, and reasonable price.  They won't hold out to rugged use, but for everyday carrying around and light use I love them.  I would look at the Scallion and Leek versions.  You can get the Scallion (2 1/2" blade) at Wal-Mart for $30.  Only Wal-Mart carries the titanium grey color.  The Leek is slightly larger with a 3" blade and is a more recent design with the lock being part of the handle which is very convenient and makes for a much slimmer overall package.  I own a Scallion, my dad owns a Leek.  Both come in serrated and non-serrated blades.  You can even get them rainbow colored if you want.    

·
Registered
263 Posts
Oh one more thing. If you do go with a Kershaw Ken Onion blade, stay away from the ones with the plastic handles (Whirlwind, etc). These blades have a single bolt that performs two jobs - one is to keep the two halves of the handle together. The other is to allow the blade to open. This is a problem because you want the handles to be fixed together tightly...but if you do that then the blade will not open. So if you adjust this bolt just right so that the frame is held together and the blade can still freely move, the bolt will wiggle itself out over a short period of time, leaving you with a jiggly blade. Same problem with the bolt on the rear of the handle that holds that half of the frame together, although it doesn't have as much impact on the movement of the blade.

The more recent Chive, Scallion,and Leek do away with this. The frames are attached together at several separate points and are very well secured. There is a bolt for the blade itself, but it doesn't come out. In 2 years mine has needed no adjustment. And no sharpening either. It keeps an edge real good

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I have that knife. It's not the best in the world, more of a display item than any thing. The handle is plastic. I carry the Walther Tactical II knife and it has been a very handy knife. If you want a Walther folder I would suggest it over the P99 cut-out knife.

·
Registered
76 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (JennYe @ Feb. 27 2004,1:49)]Has anyone noticed the Walther knife with the outline of the P99 cutout in the blade?
It looks nice. Anybody have one or know of it's quality?
Thanks
I would be reluctant to go with that knife for any reason aside display piece. Any metal removed from the blade weakens it structurally.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I purchased the last two of those laser cut knives that I saw advertised on ebay, thought I would use one and keep one as a collector item with my P99. While I have several other knives such as a Cold Steel Tanto that I carry if I ever have the need to cut through a car door or something serious, the laser cut image knife of the P99 still makes for a very nice pocket knife and the quality is excellent and it is authorized as a Walther item as it comes in a Walther box. Certainly any metal removed from the blade would theoretically weaken it, but I do not use it to chop down trees or cut through doors, only as a regular pocket knife for which it works fine. The locking mechanism is also better than most pocket knives I have had.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts