Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
Walther's look great with wood but they feel a little too thick for my hands.

Who makes wood grips for the Q5 SF ?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Walther's look great with wood but they feel a little too thick for my hands.

Who makes wood grips for the Q5 SF ?
Walther sells the wood grips from the “Vintage” model. You can order the wood grips via Earls Repair Service. It has the same profile as the factory grips, thickness and all.

As far as adding extra thickness, with the already thick P88, it is a bit awkward to hold. The P5C however, I feel the extra volume is necessary.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I like the additional thickness of the Nill grips, but I wear XXL gloves. Size 13 shoes too.
I can "one hand" the safety on my Mk XIX DEagle. 😆

Reactions: romeo_alpha01

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
The wood is what finally pushed me to buy my first P88C........

That's where the seller posted it here.
Over 2 years in my safe, still haven't fired it.

I'll find my P88C shooter one day.🤔

Reactions: romeo_alpha01

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
It's only carry it on gym day when I intend to skip the gym.
I have drop leg holstered it into Home Depot a time or two.😄

Reactions: Jimmo952

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
romeo-alpha,

Beautiful collection!

Did you get the trigger on the Q5 from Earl's also?

Thanks!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
romeo-alpha,

Beautiful collection!

Did you get the trigger on the Q5 from Earl's also?

Thanks!
Thanks P88!

The trigger was sent to me last Christmas from my friend in the EU, along with aluminum grips. Was not expecting it, and am very thankful for the trigger. It’s great!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
No Thanks! Some of the Best Plastic Grips were on the first Generation Sig-Sauer p.220/225/226 and the War Time P.38 Grips were some of the best I have seen. My Plastic Grips on my P.88 are fantastic. Wood is for WW1 We are not shooting P.08 Lugers. Paul

Reactions: Redcat94

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
No Thanks! Some of the Best Plastic Grips were on the first Generation Sig-Sauer p.220/225/226 and the War Time P.38 Grips were some of the best I have seen. My Plastic Grips on my P.88 are fantastic.
I agree. The Sig P-series and Walther P38, P5, and P88 just feel slimmer and more comfortable with the plastic grips. For the P38 I prefer the feel of checkered plastic over ribbed but the ribbed grips do look better.

I've got some Nills grips with a thumb rest for my P88C which is great for one handed shooting. However, plastic feels more comfortable when using a two handed grip.

Wood is for WW1
I don't think I can agree with that. There are some pistols that do feel better with wood grips like the 1911.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I agree. The Sig P-series and Walther P38, P5, and P88 just feel slimmer and more comfortable with the plastic grips. For the P38 I prefer the feel of checkered plastic over ribbed but the ribbed grips do look better.

I've got some Nills grips with a thumb rest for my P88C which is great for one handed shooting. However, plastic feels more comfortable when using a two handed grip.
The Walther P5 compact is one of the Walther pistols that can be fired much better with thicker wooden grips that are more adapted to the anatomy of the hand than with the standard grips.
As I wrote in another thread (look here, post # 1126,) I fitted my P5 compact with new, a little more anatomical grips last Monday.
Since the Covid incidence of my city has allowed it for a few days, the local shooting range has been open again since Tuesday, so I was able to try out my P5 compact with the new wooden grips yesterday, on Wednesday.
Result: With the new grips, the P5 compact can be shot better than with the standard wooden grips. Since the pistol is still fuller in the hand, the recoil is even more pleasant to bear than it was already before.
Even with Remington + P cartridges, the P5 compact lies securely and firmly in the hand after every shot, you hardly notice that you are shooting with more strongly charged cartridges.
I cannot shoot my P5 compact with standard plastic grips because mine was equipped with standard wooden grips. But I think that the positive difference between the new, thicker, anatomical wooden grips and the standard plastic grips, as described above, also exists, as these have probably the same thickness as the standard wooden grips.
Summary: At least for my P5 compact, the slightly thicker, slightly anatomical wooden grips are a major advantage when shooting.

·
Super Moderator
2,205 Posts
Everyone's hands are the same but different. A grip that might be optimal for one might not be for another.

It's a plus for pistols like this that different grips are available that allow the gun to better work for different people.

From a pure looks and class standpoint though, it's really not a contest. Wood grips just exude class.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts