Walther Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
The manual shown above was an Interarms publication for the German pistols they were importing as early as the ‘70s. Note the “Made in Germany” on the cover guns. There is no date on these Interarms published manuals as found on the manuals published in Germany. I have some Interarms manuals published for the Ranger made guns. The cover gun has “Made in U.SA.” on it. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Weird. I have two blued Interarms.380 PPK/S that were made in Germany. One was made in 1974 and the other was either late 1976 or early 1977. Both have the black/white cover with a PP in the upper right corner of the cover. Both are in German and English. I was guessing the one pictured above was a late 1990s manual only because the pictures of later U.S. made Interarms .380s being sold or sold on Gunbroker that include pictures of the case, manual, etc. show the above colored manual with the three "Made in Germany" models.

THUR, I sent you a PM

·
Registered
44 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Despite the cover's showing German made guns, these manuals were packaged with early American made guns at least.
I would tend to agree with you. I think the manuals that have "Made in USA" imposed on the front cover guns were for guns manufactured at the Fort Smith, AR plant. Maybe even in the early 2000's when Smith & Wesson made them. Interarms manuals always had the "Made in W. Germany" on the front cover, and the colored manual with 3 models on the front was the last of the series for Interarms.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ivywentytwo,

Absolutely, many Interarms imported German made Walthers have the dated multi-language black & white manuals. My contention is that the blued manual was first used by Interarms in “some”, by no means all, imported PP series pistols. Why some and not all, I have no idea. As you implied, manual swapping (& undated manuals!) make it tough to be certain of timelines. Here is an interesting manual conundrum:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ivywentytwo,

Absolutely, many Interarms imported German made Walthers have the dated multi-language black & white manuals. My contention is that the blued manual was first used by Interarms in “some”, by no means all, imported PP series pistols. Why some and not all, I have no idea. As you implied, manual swapping (& undated manuals!) make it tough to be certain of timelines. Here is an interesting manual conundrum:

There are 2 blue manuals from the Interarms era. One has the 3 models on it, the other just has the PP model on it. I think they're both in English only but don't quote me. I know of 2 black and white manuals. One just has PP on it and it's in English and German. I have 2 of these with my German made PPK/S. The other has the 3 models on it. Not sure if this one is in English and German. I don't think so though. Interarms used it for a while with the U.S. made guns and German imports. I have one of these but it's locked up in the safe with an Interarms U.S. made PPK. If I get to it today I'll look and see.

I also reached out to Mike McClellan at M&M Gunsmithing in Alabama and asked him about the colored 3 model manual, and if that's the last one that Interarms used in the late 90's. He use to work at the Ranger plant during that time frame. When I hear from him I'll let everyone know what he says.

·
Registered
44 Posts
36Olympia,

That's an early model Manurhin PPK in 22lr which is a whole different ball game versus the Interarms PPKs and PPK/Ss. Again, don't quote me but I think all Interarms PPKs in 22lr (whether built solely in France or assembled in W. Germany) came with the blue 3 model manuals.

I think the Interarms manual series for PPK and PPK/S in .380 goes like this. First blued PP only, then black and white PP only, next black and white PP/PPK/PPKs, and lastly colored PP/PPK/PPKs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
36Olympia,

That's an early model Manurhin PPK in 22lr which is a whole different ball game versus the Interarms PPKs and PPK/Ss. Again, don't quote me but I think all Interarms PPKs in 22lr (whether built solely in France or assembled in W. Germany) came with the blue 3 model manuals.

I think the Interarms manual series for PPK and PPK/S in .380 goes like this. First blued PP only, then black and white PP only, next black and white PP/PPK/PPKs, and lastly colored PP/PPK/PPKs.
36Olympia,

36Olympia,

36Olympia,

36Olympia,

36Olympia,

36Olympia,

36Olympia,

Despite the cover's showing German made guns, these manuals were packaged with early American made guns at least.
Manual order series seems right. I have Interarms manual B&W dated 1987, all 3 Pistols on the cover say W Germany, a friend has a 1995 the same.

·
Premium Member
2,149 Posts
We have to differ between the German made guns distributed by Interarms and the American made guns made for Interarms. My 1985 and 1986 Ranger made PPK models came both with the blue coloured manual pictured above.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yes 1987 & 1995. I didn’t IA was importing German made in the 1980s.
Oh yeah Rick, way back before the 1968 gun law. After that the PPK couldn't be imported anymore because it was too short. That's when Interarms came up with the idea of a PPK/S and imported those from Germany. Sometime in the late 70's, maybe early 80's they began making them themselves here in the U.S. until Interarms went out of business in the late 90's. Smith and Wesson took over making them in the very early 2000's for a while. Pre-Interarms PPK/S (the 70s ones) are considered better made than the Interarms U.S. ones by collectors. That's why a W. German made PPK/S is valued higher than it's U.S. made counterpart.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts