Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 384 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll begin by saying that at this point I have no direct experience with Walther CS other than an email I sent them that was never answered. I have how ever been seeing many complaints in several forums about several problems people have been having with them and I find it troubling. At this point I'm hoping that this is all being caused by startup issues even though I think that is a pretty poor excuse and could have been avoided with a bit of panning.

I've even seen some people complaining that they are still seeing some PPS's with S&W name on them simply because they don't like S&W. I personally have no problem with S&W. I'm having a problem with an M&P 9c at the moment and after about 2 minutes on the phone with them the part is in the mail to me. They would have had me ship the, the gun but it was my reference to just get the part.

With the current state of Walther CS I doubt anything would have been that easy if the problem had been with my PPS.

Anyway that's my rant for the day and I hope Walther is able to resolve their issues.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I think someone here who went to the most recent of SHOT shows and talked to a Walther rep, said that they have less than a hundred people (about 70) working for them in the US. That was when the PPX was introduced, so semi-recently. I read an article that said they'd be adding up to 120 new employees over the next few years.

S&W had 1,300+ employees as of 2009, according to their investor report from that year.

H&K, which has a situation more similar to Walther in that they're foreign (German) firearm companies importing through their subsidiaries in the US, has a 200-worker plant in GA, that will eventually expand to 500-600. They also have small offices in different states (mostly East coast, it looks like), whereas Walther Arms only has the one.

Just sayin', they're a smaller presence on this side of the pond than most. I'll bet their turnaround is pretty darn quick... if you live in Berlin and communicate with the more established Carl Walther, GmbH instead of the smaller (but growing) Walther Arms, Inc over in these parts.

This is what I think of whenever I read a problem with their CS, hope that puts a little spin on the perspective for you. :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually you make my case for me. They should have been set up and ready to handle their customer base prior to canceling their relationship with S&W. As it is all they are doing is getting a lot of unhappy customers and I suspect a lot like me who in spite of the fact that I love my pps I will not buy another walther until they get their act together. All Guns have issues and if I can't get parts what good is it. At the moment I can't get through to them on the phone and they don't respond to emails. I Don't have a problem just a question that I can't answered.

I have a minor problem with an M&P and all it took was 2 minutes on the phone and the part I need is on it's way.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Having been away from this forum for a good 6 months I was surprised at the number of posts/threads regarding poor customer service (but more importantly a seeming increase in broken guns, failed parts). Overall, not the stuff I was hoping to see.

My confidence is still reasonable in my firearms, but they're "young". If a company's service/warranty/product support sucks I'll drop them like a hot coal. Hope that doesn't become the case here. They have a good enough product that if they did the transition well, and established good philosophies on customer care/product support they could do really well.

Guess we'll see.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well the word "renewal" comes to mind. Also if they knew it was coming to an end, a bit of "planning" would have been a good idea. All in all they made a mess of the whole thing.

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
We've been receiving scattershot reports on the customer service coming out of Fort Smith for more than a year now. Some folks are wildly happy about their experience and are happy to share their good fortune here; others are not, and they are equally happy to share. The only conclusion we can draw thus far, looking at the evidence as it's offered in threads and posts here, is that consistency is not an automatic.

But it's also true that the folks in Fort Smith have to sift through many dozens of posts each week to get a handle on what is going right and what is going sideways.

With that in mind, I'd suggest that folks start using this spot as a place to post what happened when they went to Fort Smith for help, either by phone or email or personal visit. Please tell us, and the folks at Walther CS, what worked, what didn't, what went well, what did not, what message was answered quickly and what message was left unchecked (and for how long), etc. The more specifics provided, the better.

The only way that the customer service operation is going to improve is for the good folks at Walther to know what is going on, exactly, and the way that their efforts are being perceived by the folks in the field. If we do this right, Glen and Co. can monitor this section weekly (or daily) and get a decent handle on what's happening ... and the way the efforts of his people are being received. We might even experience better customer service down the road ... a hell of a deal.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Great idea searcher!

I'll post the results of my follow up with Dallas about trigger return springs tomorrow!

·
Registered
176 Posts
About a month ago I called Fort Smith after I had an issue with my ejector/slide stop that was failing to engage. I called and Dallas Polk was more than happy to help out. Based on the description of the issue, he confirmed it was likely the ejector/slide stop and provided a return authorization number and a FedEx 2-day label.

The gun shipped from NJ on Monday, arrived Wednesday, and was in-transit back to me on Friday. I received it the Tuesday following the day I shipped it out. As promised, the ejector/slide stop was replaced and test fired. The gun was cleaned before the test-firing because there was still some residue in the barrel, but a quick run-through with a bore snake had it as good as new.

Overall, very happy with the service.

Reactions: mpgus

·
Premium Member
26,071 Posts
Thanks, guys; please keep the reports coming. This can only be a service to all of us, as well as to Walther.

If you've had previous instances that were recounted on the forum, how about posting a link to the original thread so that the information can be easily retrieved? That also will save the time of having to go into copious detail again here. This thread ...

http://www.waltherforums.com/forum/pps/36985-pps-last-round-ftf.html

... starting with Post No. 6, along with a PM exchange with Mick, is what got me to thinking about this in the first place.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Can I also add that these reports should be kept civil in tone?

Ranting and bashing the folks at Ft. Smith won't make the issue improve any faster.

As Joe Friday used to say, "Just the facts ma'am.." Or, uh, sir, depending...

:D

Reactions: searcher451

·
Registered
128 Posts
In the link posted by searcher451, I recently made mention of my experience with Walther Customer Service. I and another member were/are having feeding issues with our 40 S&W PPS - in particular with the 6-round magazines. After contacting C.S. I sent mine in. While they had it, I never heard from them; if they got it, if they needed clarification of my issue, or that they had sent it back with no fault found. Afterwards I made the following post - this is the one that got searcher451's attention:

I got my magazine back from Walther... in a box with only the magazine and a simple note on the statement that said "Tested magazine 2 full mags and no issues found". My first thought was - Wow, what an extensive test (sarcasm)!!! So, I took it outside with a new box of Monarch Brass (Privi) 180gr JHP. The last time I had this issue I was shooting Federal Champion 180gr FMJ, so at least I tried different ammo this time. The first full magazine ran fine. On the last shot of the second magazine - guess what - the case rim buried in the magazine with the bullet jammed into the roof of barrel hood, almost straight up and down, just like before!

My second thought was - Walther Customer Service (edit: could be better), I'll fix this myself!!!!!! So I got out my trusty Leatherman and carefully bent the lips of the magazine in and down, almost imperceptibly so. I spent the rest of the box firing them out of the 6-round magazine 2 or 3 rounds at a time and did not have another issue. Can I say this minor tweak is the answer - probably not yet, but so far so good.

You might give tweaking the feed lips of your 6-round magazine a try and see if it helps??? This simple job fixed a feeding issue with a $180 Taurus, so I hope it will work for my $520 Walther too. Good luck with yours!
At searcher451's urging, I sent my concern to C.S. via email yesterday. BTW, since tweaking the magazine lips myself, I've put another 50 rounds of the subject Federal Champion 180gr FMJ through the 6-round magazine 2 or 3 at a time, both slow fire and quick fire and didn't have any issues...

Thanks searcher451 for your suggestions and this thread for the benefit of us all.

·
Registered
82 Posts
WALTHER CUSTOMER SERVICE GRADE: F

I purchased my PPQ M2 on 12/16/2013. The first time I took it to the range (12/20) I had numerous double taps. I am not new to firearms, especially pistols. I have been shooting since 1966, and I know what limp wristing is. I always hold the trigger back until the gun has cycled (I don't shoot rapid fire) then I always allow the trigger to return to the fully forward position. I sent the gun to Walther and they replaced the fire control assembly ("FCA"). This was the first trip to Walther.

On 4/4/2014 I sent the gun back to Walther a second time. At the range, I experienced a double tap and seven failures of the trigger to reset; it simply stayed jammed back at the end of its travel. Thinking the slide might possibly not have gone into battery I gently nudged it forward at each malfunction, but that showed the slide was indeed in battery. Also, when it double tapped, it failed to eject the second fired round and therefore jammed trying to feed the next round in the magazine. IIRC, Walther was unable to replicate these problems.

On 5/13 I sent in the gun for the third time, this time beacause the famous "smooth, very smooth" trigger was no longer smooth. After the FCA was replaced there appeared to be quite a bit of grittiness and friction in the trigger. My examination disclosed that the tab on the trigger bar was rubbing against the safety plunger when the trigger was squeezed. The gun was returned to me very quickly, in the same condition as I sent it in.

On 5/23 I sent the gun in a fourth time after speaking with Glen Seiter (CS manager, I believe) about the rough trigger. This time the trigger bar was polished and the gun was returned to me. The polishing has resulted in a noticeable improvement, but it is still nowhere near as smooth as when I purchased the gun.

On 6/4 I again spoke with Mr. Seiter. He was very cordial and professional. He discussed this matter with the gunsmith who worked on my gun and advised me the gunsmith said that's all that can be done and the trigger was now better than when a new PPQ leaves the factory. Needless to say, this is not true.

On 6/8 I sent a letter to Adam Blalock, CEO of Walther (USA) about my problems. I am still waiting for a response and I will update this post if and when I do receive one. :( Bp

·
Registered
637 Posts
Approximately 6 months ago, I was having trouble with my P99 AS. I called and spoke with Dallas Polk. He listened patiently, as this was a complex problem to describe.

After I described the problem, Dallas said that they had experienced a similar situation in the past. I sent the gun in, and to my great pleasure, a new replacement gun was sent back to me. I had purchased the pistol about 18 months prior to me sending it in. The pistol I sent in was a 2012 production, as was the one I received from them.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Generally Walther CS has been helpful in the extreme until the latest problem.

I ordered 2 trigger return springs for a Navy Q from Walther Arms in early April. They charged my account and I was told they were in stock and would mail them right away, after waiting 10 days I contacted Kyle and asked for info about the order...he searched and said "maybe they were lost in the mail".
I called on the 25 of April and talked to Dallas, he said they would credit my charge account the price (it would take 90 days) and he'd see if maybe a smith had a couple hidden away.

On the 28th of April I was told by Dallas they would have to get some from Germany and no I'd need to keep calling as they would not do a back order and just send them.

I called in May..."no shipments of parts for PPQs have arrived".

Finally today I was told by Dallas they expect a shipment in the next couple of weeks (the same thing he told me at the end of April). And I was told he had no idea if they would be shipping PPQ parts....

After having very good CS experiences with WA, I'm saddened by this experience.

I don't really understand this problem especially as Earl has no trouble in getting parts shipped to him from Germany. It also saddens me that Dallas seems like it isn't a big deal, not having access to replacement parts is a big deal.

I have to rate this experience as a fail....

Reactions: MAJORSDAD

·
Registered
611 Posts
Availability of 380 PPK and PPK/S

I just spoke with Dallas @ Walther and inquired about 2015 production.S&W stopped in April 2014 with production and Ft.Smith will not ship until probably end of first quarter or mid year(2015).This means if I want a PPK/S or PPK in 380 this year,I had better buy now.The guns will be the same except for the stamping on the slide.I forgot to ask about blue guns and am not calling back.I did ask to confirm if they repair the Interarms guns and was told yes.There was no new pricing for 2015 available.The 2013 and 2014 retail price is the same for blue and s.s.in both PPK and PPK/S,which is $699.00.Dallas knew of no special S&W final run on special editions.Dallas was very helpful and polite.I hope this answers some speculation I have been hearing.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I posted last year about my S&W PPK that was double taping. Short version is that Fort Smith repaired it and it was fine when I sold it sometime later. I caught them right after the transition so it took a while but they were responsive to phone and email and made the situation right.

1 - 20 of 384 Posts