Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am writing this to discuss the negative experience with Walther’s Customer Service that I had. This experience and the way Walther handled the situation left a bad taste in my mouth and I felt obligated to inform the public. I purchased an Hk (Licensed by Walther) MP5 SD 22lr in 2014. I am the original purchaser and still have the Bill of Sale from Gander Mountain. Upon receiving the product, I had noticed the Front Sight appeared to be deformed (I will include a picture of this). The front sight was slightly irregular but unfortunately I did not think much of it at that time. I assumed perhaps that was the way it was designed as I am not 100% familiar with European style firearms. I do take responsibility that I did not look further into it at that time. As a 22lr, this was not a defensive firearm so the issue was not addressed right away.
After recently determining the front sight post was indeed deformed and not an in spec part, I emailed customer service my information and a picture of the part in question. A few days later, I got a response back from the gunsmith claiming the firearm appears to have been dropped on the front sight. After insisting that the firearm has never been dropped and the part came that way out of the box, the gunsmith made the decision the firearm would need to be sent in for further evaluation. I received a prepaid FedEx label through email and the firearm was sent out.
I received a call a few weeks later that it would cost ~$130 (about 1/3 the cost of the entire gun) to replace the part. They said it would not be covered under warranty because of their assumption it had been dropped. The part in question does not have any scuff marks/scratches or any other signs of being dropped. The sight is just deformed. This sight was assembled onto the gun and was not caught by quality control. This makes you wonder what else slips by with their lax quality control standards. Let me just get this out there right now. I have NEVER dropped a firearm in my entire life and it is insulting that Walther accused me of lying. After realizing that Mark (CS person I was talking with) was unwilling to help in the matter I told him that I would like the firearm sent back to me. At first he tried to get me to pay $25 to send the firearm back but then quickly retracted that statement and waived the shipping cost after I informed him how ridiculous this is as they are choosing to not honor their warranty. Have a good day sir. Goodbye. Click.
I have heard negative experience of Walther customer service in the past and I can now see why. It was insulting the way that they treated me and assumed I was lying. It is frustrating as it truly was their word against mine. Walther has lost me as a future customer and I truly hope they can get things together to remain competitive in this saturated firearms market.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
ALWAYS verify the condition of a firearm BEFORE you sign the transfer docs.

FWIW, Walther is not calling you liar, the damage could have happened prior to you taking possession. Accepting this firearm made it your problem.

I had to reject two NIB Wilson Combat Beretta 92G Brigadier Tactical handguns last year, due to damage that was discovered BEFORE signing the docs.

·
Registered
121 Posts
You bring up a good point, Uber. I'll add that sometimes things you do see might be a bigger issue than you think. I once purchased a new PC carbine where I saw just a bit of imperfection one of the slotted screws that held the top rail on. No big deal I thought, and if it really bothered me I would replace the screw. First time shooting the rifle the screw comes loose, except it wouldn't tighten (or back out). I suspect it was over-torqued at the factory. Long story short, had to get sent back for warranty repair. They didn't give me any hassle, but even despite the conversations with the CS agent, and the form I included with the firearm explaining the issue, the gunsmith left a snarky note warning me "not to overtighten the screws". I dismissed that, figuring they probably spend a lot of time fixing dumb stuff that people mess up on their guns all the time.

All that being said, it's always possible something is missed during your inspection of a firearm when purchasing, and in the end, Walther could have probably handled this a little better. I'm not familiar enough with the product but $130 seems high to replace a front sight on a .22 replica!

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
FWIW, this is an MP5 based firearm, (HK licensed, Walther/Umarex built, Umarex imported, for more detail), This firearm does NOT have a simple handgun front sight.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FWIW, this is an MP5 based firearm, (HK licensed, Walther/Umarex built, Umarex imported, for more detail), This firearm does NOT have a simple handgun front sight.
Definitely lesson learned on doing more inspection before accepting a firearm. It’s just quite easy to overlook something. I still wish they weren’t as rude about it and handled the situation differently. Does anyone happen to know if a regular Hk MP5 front sight tower could work to replace this part? I saw one for $35 on Hkparts.net

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Not sure how familiar you are with firearms, but this one is on you...sorry.

Put yourself in Walthers shoes. You bought the gun 6 years ago and it’s obvious to them at least that the gun was dropped. I would have probably been short with you too on the phone.

Imagine buying a car, and 6 years later complaining about a scratch.

Things like sights, magazines and triggers are expensive. You could replace the front sights and upgrade the trigger and have more in the gun then what you paid for it.

Use this as an opportunity to upgrade the sights and go out and shoot the darn thing.

BTW, I do know of two companies though that would have repaired it. Ruger and Vortex. They will fix generally anything under warranty but that is pretty rare.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My experience with Walther(/Umarex) .22 caliber firearms has been less than exceptional. They certainly aren't anywhere the same caliber as the centerfire stuff.

My p22CA has never been great and hardly even good. I was so frustrated with it I bought the Walther/Colt 1911 .22 cal replica to replace it as my plinker. Well the thing shoots with much better reliability but if you move the slide even a little bit with the safety on it locks up the whole gun until you take a fingernail to unstick the detent on the safety. Sure is safe... can't even shoot the darn thing unless you're on the range babying it!

Of course in my case Walther offered to fix it. I'll get around to sending it back to them in a bit.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Put yourself in Walthers shoes. You bought the gun 6 years ago and it’s obvious to them at least that the gun was dropped. I would have probably been short with you too on the phone.

Things like sights, magazines and triggers are expensive. You could replace the front sights and upgrade the trigger and have more in the gun then what you paid for it.

Use this as an opportunity to upgrade the sights and go out and shoot the darn thing.

BTW, I do know of two companies though that would have repaired it. Ruger and Vortex. They will fix generally anything under warranty but that is pretty rare.
They would have handled the situation the same one month or six years later. It has a LIFETIME warranty against defects and any company worth a damn would fix a canted/deformed front sight that came on their gun. If the gun was truly dropped so hard to bend the front sight there would be some kind of scratch to the finish of the firearm, which there isn’t. They make these claims because the gunsmith is too lazy to fix the problem.

I’m sure Walther is fed up with receiving warranty claims on these 22lr copies such as the Colt 22, MP5 22, ect. They were willing to put their licensing name and profit off them so they should be responsible for the lack of quality control.

Anyone know if a regular Hk MP5 front sight tower will fit this model?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

They would have handled the situation the same one month or six years later. It has a LIFETIME warranty against defects and any company worth a damn would fix a canted/deformed front sight that came on their gun. If the gun was truly dropped so hard to bend the front sight there would be some kind of scratch to the finish of the firearm, which there isn’t. They make these claims because the gunsmith is too lazy to fix the problem.

I’m sure Walther is fed up with receiving warranty claims on these 22lr copies such as the Colt 22, MP5 22, ect. They were willing to put their licensing name and profit off them so they should be responsible for the lack of quality control.

Anyone know if a regular Hk MP5 front sight tower will fit this model?
Straight from their website. LEGENDARY just like glocks recent 22lr pistol haha

The Walther Legendary Lifetime Limited Warranty gives you absolute confidence in your decision when you purchase a Walther. With Walther, you can rely on the precision of German engineering and the dependability of an American guarantee. Our warranty provides unwavering support for your new firearm and continues for the life cycle of the product as long as the company manufactures and supports it. If you purchase a Walther firearm, it carries its Legendary Warranty regardless of whether or not you are the original purchaser. This warranty covers Walther centerfire and rimfire firearms, produced after 1993 only and does not apply to antique, limited edition, or custom firearms.
If your Walther firearm has a defect in materials or workmanship, please contact Walther or return the firearm, postage paid, with a brief description of the problem to us at the address noted below for a repair or replacement at no cost to you.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts

The Walther Legendary Lifetime Limited Warranty gives you absolute confidence in your decision when you purchase a Walther. With Walther, you can rely on the precision of German engineering and the dependability of an American guarantee. Our warranty provides unwavering support for your new firearm and continues for the life cycle of the product as long as the company manufactures and supports it. If you purchase a Walther firearm, it carries its Legendary Warranty regardless of whether or not you are the original purchaser. This warranty covers Walther centerfire and rimfire firearms, produced after 1993 only and does not apply to antique, limited edition, or custom firearms.
If your Walther firearm has a defect in materials or workmanship, please contact Walther or return the firearm, postage paid, with a brief description of the problem to us at the address noted below for a repair or replacement at no cost to you.

Sorry, stop grousing about your panties being in a wad. You didn't inspect at purchase. You waited to contact them. They looked at it and it looks dropped and its not a new weapon. Learn from this and inspect before acceptance and if there is a problem contact CS immediately. Next.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Sorry, stop grousing about your panties being in a wad. You didn't inspect at purchase. You waited to contact them. They looked at it and it looks dropped and its not a new weapon. Learn from this and inspect before acceptance and if there is a problem contact CS immediately. Next.
Lol we got a fanboy over here. Walther absolutely can’t do anything wrong

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
"It has a LIFETIME warranty against defects and any company worth a damn would fix a canted/deformed front sight that came on their gun. If the gun was truly dropped so hard to bend the front sight there would be some kind of scratch to the finish of the firearm, which there isn’t."

Some inaccuracies here to clear up....

"It has a LIFETIME warranty against defects"
The Walther warranty ONLY applies to currently produced firearms. This Walther/Umarex MP5 is no longer in production.

"If the gun was truly dropped so hard to bend the front sight there would be some kind of scratch to the finish of the firearm, which there isn’t."
Damage/deformation of small protruding parts can occur while the firearm is in shipping materials/soft cases, this is usually the case when heavy items are placed (or fall) on the packaged/soft cased firearm.
In these instances, the lack of finish damage is the norm.

Walther could have handled it better, but it's an out of production firearm that was sold in '14, coming back for a workmanship issue years later.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts

With a whooping six posts, you might want to pause and read thru the forum. This will give you some perspective toward "fanboy" identification.

I've been involved in numerous threads addressing Walther/Umarex shortcomings, with PPS1980 in the group.

Walther/Umarex does PLENTY wrong, as does ANY manufacturer. But almost NO manufacturer would go against the verbiage of their warranty to address the issue gratis.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

With a whooping six posts, you might want to pause and read thru the forum. This will give you some perspective toward "fanboy" identification.

I've been involved in numerous threads addressing Walther/Umarex shortcomings, with PPS1980 in the group.

Walther/Umarex does PLENTY wrong, as does ANY manufacturer. But almost NO manufacturer would go against the verbiage of their warranty to address the issue gratis.[/

I’m glad we can both agree Walther does plenty wrong. Walther has agreed to continue supporting the MP5 22s even though they are no longer imported. They clearly still have the parts for them as they offered to fix it for a fee. All I wanted to do was post my negative experience on here. Some companies go out of their way to help their customers others do not. The firearms industry is highly competitive so it’s easy to take business elsewhere.
PPS1980: calling someone out and saying my “panties are in a wad” gets no where. Clearly you didn’t add anything productive to the conversation as someone already discussed the importance of inspecting the firearms and I said it’s a lesson learned

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
"I’m glad we can both agree Walther does plenty wrong. Walther has agreed to continue supporting the MP5 22s even though they are no longer imported. They clearly still have the parts for them as they offered to fix it for a fee. All I wanted to do was post my negative experience on here. Some companies go out of their way to help their customers others do not. The firearms industry is highly competitive so it’s easy to take business elsewhere.
PPS1980: calling someone out and saying my “panties are in a wad” gets no where. Clearly you didn’t add anything productive to the conversation as someone already discussed the importance of inspecting the firearms and I said it’s a lesson learned"

"Walther has agreed to continue supporting the MP5 22s even though they are no longer imported. They clearly still have the parts for them as they offered to fix it for a fee."

This is "clearly" an assumption. The parts might NOT be in stock at Walther Ft Smith/Ulm, but accessible from an outside source (or a production run). This may include a Walther/Umarex USA minimum quantity purchase due to a 3rd party production run of the item. The reality here is YOU DON"T KNOW. You also made the assumption that Walther concluded YOU did the damage, and that the cause was a drop.

"All I wanted to do was post my negative experience on here."

With the details of the situation, expect pushback. No need to name call.

"Some companies go out of their way to help their customers others do not. The firearms industry is highly competitive so it’s easy to take business elsewhere."

If this was a current production item, the Warranty would apply.
Most EVERY manufacturers would follow their warranty contract with the consumer.
If you think another firearm manufacturer does better, then as a consumer, that's your dice to roll.

Reactions: PPS1980

·
Registered
93 Posts
My experience with Walther customer service was excellent.

I purchased a used Walther CCP and found it had not been back to Walther for a recall.

I contacted them through email. I stated I purchased used and included pics of the handgun and serial number.

They were quick to respond . Verified it needed to go back for recall and provided a RMA within a day.

One week later my gun was back to me. That includes shipping time both ways.

I later found there was an improved takedown tool and contacted Walther CS again.
They sent one out immediately at no charge.

I'd call my experience absolutely satisfactory. Above and beyond IMO.

BTW...My CCP M1 functions flawlessly.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
"I’m glad we can both agree Walther does plenty wrong. Walther has agreed to continue supporting the MP5 22s even though they are no longer imported. They clearly still have the parts for them as they offered to fix it for a fee. All I wanted to do was post my negative experience on here. Some companies go out of their way to help their customers others do not. The firearms industry is highly competitive so it’s easy to take business elsewhere.
PPS1980: calling someone out and saying my “panties are in a wad” gets no where. Clearly you didn’t add anything productive to the conversation as someone already discussed the importance of inspecting the firearms and I said it’s a lesson learned"

"Walther has agreed to continue supporting the MP5 22s even though they are no longer imported. They clearly still have the parts for them as they offered to fix it for a fee."

This is "clearly" an assumption. The parts might NOT be in stock at Walther Ft Smith/Ulm, but accessible from an outside source (or a production run). This may include a Walther/Umarex USA minimum quantity purchase due to a 3rd party production run of the item. The reality here is YOU DON"T KNOW. You also made the assumption that Walther concluded YOU did the damage, and that the cause was a drop.

"All I wanted to do was post my negative experience on here."

With the details of the situation, expect pushback. No need to name call.

"Some companies go out of their way to help their customers others do not. The firearms industry is highly competitive so it’s easy to take business elsewhere."

If this was a current production item, the Warranty would apply.
Most EVERY manufacturers would follow their warranty contract with the consumer.
If you think another firearm manufacturer does better, then as a consumer, that's your dice to roll.
Thank you for the information DeutschlandUberAlles. You’re very knowledgeable

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
I posted: "Walther/Umarex does PLENTY wrong, as does ANY manufacturer."

OP responded "I’m glad we can both agree Walther does plenty wrong."

This speaks VOLUMES of a new members intentions.

Those with ANY intent on being a respectable members that has their opinions held in high regard will maintain context in responses.

Trolls with change context to advance their preconceived notion/agenda.

Welcome to the ignore list.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I posted: "Walther/Umarex does PLENTY wrong, as does ANY manufacturer."

OP responded "I’m glad we can both agree Walther does plenty wrong."

This speaks VOLUMES of a new members intentions.

Those with ANY intent on being a respectable members that has their opinions held in high regard will maintain context in responses.

Trolls with change context to advance their preconceived notion/agenda.

Welcome to the ignore list.
I thanked and complimented you for being knowledgeable and now I’m on the ignore list

1 - 20 of 51 Posts