Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a used PPQ SC to keep the PPS M2 company. Does not appear to have been fired much. It included an extra 10 round mag with pinky rest but not the left handed magazine release. A little cleaning and hopefully I'll get it to the range tomorrow.

I've been thinking of a higher capacity EDC gun. The PPQ's standard 10 round mags give me three more than what I carry the PPS with (7 rounds).

·
Registered
121 Posts
This is why I picked up a SC as well. Small package with a little more capacity plus the ability to have a 15 round reload.
My thoughts exactly! Short and very concealable handle with the 10-round mag plus a 15-round mag for reload. Using a larger mag or pinky extension defeats the purpose of concealment, I think. For EDC, I think barrel length doesn't matter very much but the handle length matters a lot.

I think the PPQ SC shoots really comfortably with the 10-round mag. I just curl my pinky under the mag base plate and it feels nice and comfy.

My only issue with the 10-round mags is that they're tricky to insert. First of all they get stuck on the mag release catch inside the handle. That got helped a bit by wearing the bottom of that mag release catch down A LOT. Secondly my hands are in the way of each other when trying to swap tiny 10-round mags fast.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
My thoughts exactly! Short and very concealable handle with the 10-round mag plus a 15-round mag for reload. Using a larger mag or pinky extension defeats the purpose of concealment, I think. For EDC, I think barrel length doesn't matter very much but the handle length matters a lot.
Besides wanting a PPQ, a recent CCW class really brought home things I was at least aware of. The old 3 yards, 3 shots, 3 seconds is falling out as we are faced with mass shooters. A few more available rounds than my PPS (carry 7-rd there) in basically the same concealment footprint plus ability to go 15-rd as backup.

I agree that too big a handle can more easily print but the difference between the flat bottom and pinky extension 10-rounders is minimal I see every reason to go for the comfort and - at least for me - surer grip and use the extension.

I took mine to the range tonight. It's insanely accurate. That trigger is a dream. I tried the flat bottom 10-rd, ergonomic 10-rd & 15-rd. My group was biggest with the flat bottom and muzzle flip more pronounced. With the full grips, OMG! Almost one ragged hole.

I have my targets but don't have time to take pix right now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think the PPQ SC shoots really comfortably with the 10-round mag. I just curl my pinky under the mag base plate and it feels nice and comfy.
Exactly

My only issue with the 10-round mags is that they're tricky to insert. First of all they get stuck on the mag release catch inside the handle. That got helped a bit by wearing the bottom of that mag release catch down A LOT.
I've not experienced this and practice doing reloads from the hip rather than in hand. I'll dig out another 10 rounder or two and see if they hang. The two I have tried (flush and pinky) that I bought used do not hang. Wonder if the factory fresh ones will...

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've not experienced this and practice doing reloads from the hip rather than in hand. I'll dig out another 10 rounder or two and see if they hang. The two I have tried (flush and pinky) that I bought used do not hang. Wonder if the factory fresh ones will...
See this thread:
https://www.waltherforums.com/forum/ppq/118622-ppq-sc-10-round-magazine-catches-when-inserting.html

It only happens with the 10-round mag and not the 15-round mag. Compare the top right corner of the two.

On the 15-round mag there is softly angled metal at that corner that first connects with the mag release catch. This metal blade will connect first and start to depress the mag release catch a little bit and let the mag slip past nicely when being inserted.

On the 10-round mag it's instead a sharp 90-degree metal corner that can connect with the mag release catch. The mag release catch on the PPQ SC has a diagonal chamfer on the bottom, but it doesn't cover the entire bottom. There's still a horizontal ledge where the sharp 10-round mag corner can get stuck.

Imho, the 10-mags are manufactured badly. Their top right corner should have had a diagonal blade like the 15-round mags do. There are pictures comparing the two mags in the thread.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts