Walther Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son experienced several malfunctions today with his CCP with the weapon having less than 200 rounds fired through it. A shell casing partially ejected and the magazine dropped out of the weapon. I took the weapon and cleared the partially ejected casing. I then observed the lever for the safety was missing and was apparently forced out of the weapon frame by gas pressure. My son had minor burn marks on the palm of his hand which appeared to come from the bottom of the grip where the magazine had been forced out. There does not appear to be any damage to the frame or slide, only the missing part. The force was such I was unable to find the safety lever. Has anyone experienced a similar malfunction?

·
Registered
844 Posts
Fairly certain that there is no way the Safety lever can be forced out by gas pressure. The Safety lever is not even in the gas train. So you are telling me that your son suffered burns from the MAGAZINE being ejected from the handgun? NOTHING about this malfunction sounds typical (nor possible). Call Walther, talk to a customer service agent and send the firearm in. Something sounds off.

·
Premium Member
6,722 Posts
I'd arrange to send the CCP to Walther for repair and include a detailed written account of the incident.

What type of ammo were you firing?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
CCP-Safety Selector Lever

Thanks for your input, I will contact Walther Arms on Monday. To clarify my son was not injured in the incident. The powder "burns" or probably a better description wold be "deposits" washed off after vigorous scrubbing with a washcloth. He was shooting 115 grain 9mm ball ammo. The ammo was purchased from North Georgia Reloading and Accessories in bulk (500 rounds). My friend has been associated with this company for 6 years and fired thousands of these rounds without incident. I inspected the partially ejected casing and there was nothing out of the ordinary in the appearance. There was also no difference observed between the previous rounds fired in regards to recoil or noise level. This is my first experience with Walther Arms, with my previous ownership being S&W, Sig Sauer, Colt & Glock. This forum look like a good way to get information related specifically to Walther's. Thanks again for your experienced input.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I think another CCP owner reported having lost a safety-selector when firing. A search should turn up that thread. I don't recall the cause or the outcome, vis-a-vis warranty.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Catfish I will look for the thread. The lost selector and the magazine drop may be unrelated to the powder deposits. My son could have pushed the magazine release by accident. Thanks again

·
Registered
351 Posts
How old/new is your CCP? What are the first two numbers of the serial number, 34XXX?

Wondering if this was one of the early pistols, or one of the latter?

·
Registered
10,537 Posts
I don't remember when but this happened to someone else. Heed Milspec's advice and give Walther a call before doing any more shooting. Sorry to hear you had problems with it. Glad your son wasn't seriously injured.

Sounds like this could be another bad reloaded ammo problem. I think I'd stick to factory ammo unless I did my own re loading. On the other hand I purchased a new , full size Springfield .45 back in about 1995 and on the third shot, factory ammo, the pistol flew apart. I picked up the pieces reassembled, checked everything, fired it again and it flew apart again. Took it back and told the seller I wanted my money back. Handed it to him, he cycled it once and it flew apart. We could not see anything wrong with it....He said pick out what you want...this one is going back. I picked out a Colt and never had any issues out of it. Sometimes...stuff happens. The last report, now that I read the thread involved bad reloaded ammo. M1911

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
M1911 thanks for the information, I will be calling Walther on Monday. I have been a LEO for 32 years and this is the 1st time I have experienced a malfunction of this magnitude. I really like the ergonomics of the CCP and am pleased with the accuracy of the weapon. Hopefully Walther can satisfactorily diagnose the issue and repair the weapon. My son wants to keep the weapon in spite of this incident.

·
Registered
10,537 Posts
Phorton, as I'm sure you are aware the CCP is a bit different from most other pistols in that it has a small hole just in front of the chamber, a gas port and piston which delays movement of the slide. Hot gas passes into this port and presses against a piston which holds the slide closed until the round leaves the barrel and pressure is relieved. This means a couple of things.....spent gas is blown back into the action of the pistol which fouls the pistol a bit earlier than other set ups. Walther also warns agains the use of bare lead rounds due to the possibility of lead plugging the port hole.

With regard to the manual safety I believe it is only held in the pistol by a small spring loaded plunger that fits into small detents at the fire and safe position so perhaps it is possible an over charged round could send enough blow back gasses into the inner pistol to blow this part out. There may be nothing wrong with your your pistol....but, better safe than sorry. An over charged round would have likely slammed the slide back hard and this might have been detrimental to the striker, rear system housing, striker spring, rear slide retaining components. It would take an experienced eye to check it over to see that all parts fit correctly. Good luck with it and safe shooting. M1911

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The dealer I purchased the weapon from agreed to take the CCP and deal with Walther on my behalf. I should know something within 1 week.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I received my son's CCP back from Walther after being repaired and put 150 rounds through the weapon. There were no misfires or failures to eject casings, but my son had several instances where the magazine dropped out of the weapon while firing. This happened on a few occasions during the time period of my previous comments and I thought perhaps it was operator error. I also shot the weapon today and had the magazine disengage on several occasions. Has anyone else encountered this problem and if so is there a fix?

·
Registered
10,537 Posts
Yes it has happened before, I believe it is listed in the problems thread and I have not heard of a fix from Ft Smith. M1911

1 - 18 of 18 Posts