Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I received my brand new CCP M2 two days ago.

I field stripped it and cleaned and oiled as recommended.

The first thing I noticed was the surface finish of the barrel. You can feel the micro-grooving left by the machining, and that translated into roughness when pulling the slide that rubs against it. Like running your nails crosswise on a Long Play disc.

The trigger also has a rough feeling. I will have to follow the YouTube that teaches how to make the trigger action "Butter Smooth".

One of the reasons I bought it, was for the premise that it has a slide that is very easy to rack. I'm getting old and I hope that ten years from now I can still pull the slide of my pistols. But what I found is that it takes almost as much apparent effort to rack the CCP M2 slide as the one of my PPK. The pull is not smooth at it has distinct higher effort bumps. That is, harder to do than a Taurus G2C or a G2S, which by the way, have the same level of machining finish as the CCP M2. I also have a Springfield XDe. Racking its slide is veritably a two finger easy effort, and smooth.

I have cycled the slide of the CCP M2 about two hundred times to see it that smooths things over but I cannot feel any difference/improvement. Did Walther put the wrong spring? No. After some testing I think it is in spec.

Next week I will be taking it to the range and do some shooting and see how well it performs.

During my lifetime I have owned Walthers. One 1960's PP, a WWII P-38, a 1950-60's P-38 with aluminum frame, a PK380 and and Interams PPK. All of them were well machined, smooth and reliable. I have always had a great regard for Walther's quality, but now I can very well say that if the CCP M2 I got is representative of what Walther is now, it is on par with lesser brands. The only difference is that Walther's pricing represents what it was and not what it is now.

·
Premium Member
1,831 Posts
I received my brand new CCP M2 two days ago.

I field stripped it and cleaned and oiled as recommended.

The first thing I noticed was the surface finish of the barrel. You can feel the micro-grooving left by the machining, and that translated into roughness when pulling the slide that rubs against it. Like running your nails crosswise on a Long Play disc.

The trigger also has a rough feeling. I will have to follow the YouTube that teaches how to make the trigger action "Butter Smooth".

One of the reasons I bought it, was for the premise that it has a slide that is very easy to rack. I'm getting old and I hope that ten years from now I can still pull the slide of my pistols. But what I found is that it takes almost as much apparent effort to rack the CCP M2 slide as the one of my PPK. The pull is not smooth at it has distinct higher effort bumps. That is, harder to do than a Taurus G2C or a G2S, which by the way, have the same level of machining finish as the CCP M2. I also have a Springfield XDe. Racking its slide is veritably a two finger easy effort, and smooth.

I have cycled the slide of the CCP M2 about two hundred times to see it that smooths things over but I cannot feel any difference/improvement. Did Walther put the wrong spring? No. After some testing I think it is in spec.

Next week I will be taking it to the range and do some shooting and see how well it performs.

During my lifetime I have owned Walthers. One 1960's PP, a WWII P-38, a 1950-60's P-38 with aluminum frame, a PK380 and and Interams PPK. All of them were well machined, smooth and reliable. I have always had a great regard for Walther's quality, but now I can very well say that if the CCP M2 I got is representative of what Walther is now, it is on par with lesser brands. The only difference is that Walther's pricing represents what it was and not what it is now.

Note: Found references in this board on slide effort measurements and following their ideas, using a PVC pipe and a bathroom scale I found the following:
My PPK with the hammer back: 18 lbs.
And my CCP M2 with striker released: 12.4 lbs just before engaging the sear, 16.5 lbs. while going over the sear. With the striker engaged, it took 13 pounds initially to go over the sear disconnect, dropped immediately down to 10 lbs and reached 12.8 lbs at the end of the slide run.
The Springfield XDe, with the hammer back was only 9 lbs at its max.
You do know there are two Walthers right? There is the Walther that you've always known. Then there is their parent company Umarex. Umarex to my knowledge primarily makes air guns and .22s that look like other, better known centerfires.

Since acquiring Walther, Umarex has produced several guns including the PK380 and CCP which they sell under the Walther name. These guns tend to be oriented to the more budget conscious consumer.

I'd say most on this board would say the Umarex designed and produced guns are a notch below the guns that Walther proper produces.

That is not to say that the Umarex guns do not have their fans. You will find people on this forum that have had good luck with and are perfectly happy with theirs.

I will say the CCP feels as good in my hand as any gun out there. Umarex definitely got the ergonomics right and the gun seems plenty accurate with that fixed barrel.

Someone might be able to

·
Registered
673 Posts
Not trying to be funny, but I found the solution for me in regards to effort to rack the slide was to increase hand strength. My PPK in 380 takes quite an effort, but not as much as my LCP Gen2. So I started using a squeeze grip hand exerciser and I can manage them better. I’ve been considering the CCP in 380.

·
Super Moderator
7,356 Posts
I've an H&K gas gun, so I have a passing interest in the CCP. I thot' one of its claims to fame was light racking effort? Hmmm.
In a wholly different vein, the P365 is amazingly easy to rack. The Smith EZs are even better. It is an issue for us codgers.

Moon

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Added note on 4/20/2020:
Bought a Kydex holster from Forged Tec Holsters. Perfect fit. Paul Bruen, the owner, molds it directly from a real CCP, not form a plastic mold. And if you want something done differently or modified, he is open to do it. A real customer focused service. The cost was $26 for the holster and $6 for the Raven Claw. Shipping is included.

Another thing. I bought some phosphorescent powder from TechnoGlow (Fluorescent Yellow Green Glow in the Dark & UV Powder, $6.00) and filled in the holes of the sights. Capped them with thin Cyanoacrilate glue. Now the sights are very visible during the day (they reflect UV) and at night (phosphorescent).

I haven't gone to the range yet :(

I forgot: Blotted out all the oil I had applied to the mechanism after cleaning, and applied Elmer's Slide-All spray back. Heavily.
It made a substantial improvement on the smoothness of the slide and also improved on the action of the trigger.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally, today I was able to go to the range.
The CCP M2 feels good in the hand and has a comfortable level of kick.
The first three magazines, it worked pretty good, except one stove pipe. After that, it didn't work right.
A few more stovepipes, but mostly failures to eject (FTE), as if the rounds didn't develop enough power to cycle the slide. I counted 27 of these FTEs out of 100 shots fired.
It did the FTEs with the rest of the box of IMI 115gr rounds, and then with a full box of Federal Hi-Shok JHP.
Maybe it was the Elmer's Slide-All lubricant that wasn't up to the task.
Here, back home, I cleaned it with CLP. Left a light film of oil as recommended in the manual.

Any opinions if I should send it back to Walther right away or to give it another try?

·
Registered
22 Posts
The first three magazines, it worked pretty good, except one stove pipe. After that, it didn't work right.
A few more stovepipes, but mostly failures to eject (FTE), as if the rounds didn't develop enough power to cycle the slide. I counted 27 of these FTEs out of 100 shots fired.
It did the FTEs with the rest of the box of IMI 115gr rounds, and then with a full box of Federal Hi-Shok JHP.
Here, back home, I cleaned it with CLP. Left a light film of oil as recommended in the manual.

Any opinions if I should send it back to Walther right away or to give it another try?
Just for the sake of science, I'd say try it again. If you can repeat the failures 2 times then yeah, something is wrong. No sense in having trouble and jumping to conclusions.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Too impatient, with close by ranges closed, I didn’t wait and wrote an e-mail to WA. Next day I had an answer and a FedEx ticket to send it back.
Sent it out this morning.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Received my CCP M2 back from the WA repair shop yesterday.
In their note about what was done, it said: Honed barrel, Checked for op. That's it.

Today I went to the range to test it.
Ran 50 shots of range ammo, Magtech 115 gr. FMJ without any problems. After that I ran one magazine full of each of the following: Remington UMC 147 gr. FMJ, Magtech 124 gr. JHP, Blazer 115 gr. FMJ, and then the problems started with the next magazine which had IMI 115 gr. Di-Cut NATO: FDEs, and Stovepipes. I stopped and field disassembled it. The piston was covered with carbon. I wipped it and tried to clean the cylinder and applied new oil (3 in 1) to the piston and ran a magazine full of Magtech 115 gr FMJ without further problems. I went back to the IMI115 gr. Die-Cut NATO and it failed again. Switched to Magtech 115 gr. FMJ and then to Federal 115 gr. Hi-Shok, Finished with a magazine of range ammo with no further problems. My CCP M2 doesn't like IMIs!!!
Conclusion: It is working reliably now but it needs to be cleaned after 50-100 shots and oiled lightly. And stay away form IMIs.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Received my CCP M2 back from the WA repair shop yesterday.
In their note about what was done, it said: Honed barrel, Checked for op. That's it.

Today I went to the range to test it.
Ran 50 shots of range ammo, Magtech 115 gr. FMJ without any problems. After that I ran one magazine full of each of the following: Remington UMC 147 gr. FMJ, Magtech 124 gr. JHP, Blazer 115 gr. FMJ, and then the problems started with the next magazine which had IMI 115 gr. Di-Cut NATO: FDEs, and Stovepipes. I stopped and field disassembled it. The piston was covered with carbon. I wipped it and tried to clean the cylinder and applied new oil (3 in 1) to the piston and ran a magazine full of Magtech 115 gr FMJ without further problems. I went back to the IMI115 gr. Die-Cut NATO and it failed again. Switched to Magtech 115 gr. FMJ and then to Federal 115 gr. Hi-Shok, Finished with a magazine of range ammo with no further problems. My CCP M2 doesn't like IMIs!!!
Conclusion: It is working reliably now but it needs to be cleaned after 50-100 shots and oiled lightly. And stay away form IMIs.
Glad to hear it worked out ok for you.

I finally got my CCP M2 .380 and took it to the range this morning. It shot smooth and was very wonderful. It fed the sig ammo I used just fine. However, like you noted, after about 100 rounds it began to have FTF. Namely on the last round of the magazine, which I can forgive. With a little tap, it went in. In total I put about 150 rounds through her today. I will admit, she was filthy when I got home and disassembled it. It doesn't help that I got the silver version so it really shows all the carbon. Still, no major issues to discourage me yet.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The piston shouldn't be lubed with any oil. I would recommend a dry lube or dry after cleaning.
I remember reading that lubricant or oil inside the piston chamber will result in dieseling.
Found it:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I didn't apply any oil to the piston or piston chamber, as I had read that as well. I just wiped it off really good and left it dry.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I should have been clearer: I wipe the sooth off, apply oil and then wipe the oil off.
I well remember when we used to put a little bit of ether inside the chamber of our air rifles to give them more oomph.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I should have been clearer: I wipe the sooth off, apply oil and then wipe the oil off.
I well remember when we used to put a little bit of ether inside the chamber of our air rifles to give them more oomph.
Ah, thanks for the clarification

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After thoughts:
WA's Service Department is top notch.
My experience with them was outstanding, to the extent that I decided to buy another Walther brand pistol (P22QD) knowing now that they will do whatever it takes to fix any problem you might have.
Would I buy another CCP? No, for the following reasons:
a) It cocks only when it has reached the far end of the slide's movement.
b) The striker's block is located in the rearmost part of the slide/striker's cocked position.
c) It doesn't have a decocker function.
d) Doesn't have a loaded cartridge indicator and it is almost impossible to open the slide a little bit to check due to the sear cylinder action.

·
Registered
22 Posts
After thoughts:
WA's Service Department is top notch.
My experience with them was outstanding, to the extent that I decided to buy another Walther brand pistol (P22QD) knowing now that they will do whatever it takes to fix any problem you might have.
Would I buy another CCP? No, for the following reasons:
a) It cocks only when it has reached the far end of the slide's movement.
b) The striker's block is located in the rearmost part of the slide/striker's cocked position.
c) It doesn't have a decocker function.
d) Doesn't have a loaded cartridge indicator and it is almost impossible to open the slide a little bit to check due to the sear cylinder action.
It does feature a loaded chamber peep hole on the top.
I will agree, I think it would have been awesome if it had a decocker or DA/SA feature like the P99/P99C. That would be incredible.
The slide having to go back ALL the way to cock it is quite superfluous. Hell, just today, I was trying to chamber a round, and the round chambered but the striker did not cock!

Glad you had a great experience with Walther's service department!

·
Registered
18 Posts

I had the same issues! Emailed walther got no response.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts