Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to a weak right hand, because of carpal tunnel surgery, I have trigger pull and slide problems. I read about two handguns that are easy to shoot with - Walther's CCP M2 and Smith & Wesson's new M&P EZ Shield......both 9mm.

Anyone have any similar issues and possibly recommendations?
Thanks,
Ron

·
Registered
294 Posts
Due to a weak right hand, because of carpal tunnel surgery, I have trigger pull and slide problems. I read about two handguns that are easy to shoot with - Walther's CCP M2 and Smith & Wesson's new M&P EZ Shield......both 9mm.

Anyone have any similar issues and possibly recommendations?
Thanks,
Ron
I handed both guns a couple days ago.

I was looking at 9mm pistol that my daughter, with limited grip strength, could manipulate easily. She is able to fire and control my M&P45, but not able to chamber a round or cycle the slide. She likes to shoot my Walther PPQ .22, but I would like something better for home defense. Not a big fan of .380. The 9mm PPQ feels very similar, but obviously has a much stronger recoil spring.

Of the two you mentioned, the CCP had the easiest slide the cycle. If you look around in this sub-forum, you will see there is a love/hate relationship with the CCP - usually more hate than love. It does sound like the newer models may have less issues from what I can tell.

I carry a M&P45 2,0 Compact, which is a bit of a lump, but have never been a fan of the M&P Shield models. The EZ is similar to the regular Shield in that it has a similarly thin grip thickness. Thin might be better for CC, but as far as actually shooting goes - not so much. The CCP has a much better grip that is a normal thickness.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Best bet is try to rent one of each, and see which one you like.

The CCP tends to get hot around the trigger due to the "Soft Coil" delayed recoil system.

The EZ9 is rather new and I haven't seen many issues with it yet.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Best bet is try to rent one of each, and see which one you like.

The CCP tends to get hot around the trigger due to the "Soft Coil" delayed recoil system.

The EZ9 is rather new and I haven't seen many issues with it yet.
There have been some issues with it, but it's kinda like the CCP - some guns have had problems, others have run flawlessly.

Most of what I've seen on the EZ is from here - https://mp-pistol.com/mp-shield-pistols/

·
Registered
675 Posts
Good idea to try both and then decide. Keep in mind that both guns being 9mm may give you issues with recoil even if the CCP has the Softcoil design. You may want to take a look at the new CCP in .380 which will still pack a punch.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My wife and I are new to the sport. So we are trying different guns. Have tried both the ones mentioned. I Like the CCP M2 better because of the soft recoil for wife (and me). The S/W had the grip safety. She had trouble remembering to grip the handle tight enough each time. The S/W has a magazine that is easier to load with the finger slide tab. The safety's are different, just what you are use to if you get a model with safety. The 380 has less recoil of course in both makes, with the Walther soft recoil system being what I am looking for. Renting both is the best way to determine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a CCP and I've also shot the .380 Shield EZ. The Shield EZ is definitely easier to manipulate when it comes to racking the slide. With the different number of magazine loaders out there, you have a lot of options when it comes to loading assistance. Although the EZ magazines are easier to load unassisted. Disassembly is probably a wash with the CCP M2's new design. Personally I think the EZ is still a bit easier since the slide comes straight off and you don't have to lift up the back and then slide it off as you do the CCP. As far as recoil, the first time I shot the CCP it felt really nice. Since then it feel about the same as any of my other pistols of the same size. But that's my experience. My dad bought the new 9mm Shield EZ. If I get a chance to try that one out I will and then let you know my thoughts. I would recommend what other's have said, and that is to test each one out yourself and gain your own personal opinion. I would add that you try and disassemble them each if you can.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts