Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am an avid Walther collector i enjoy my range time and my security for my home. But recently i bought some Hornady 147GR XTP i believe and they would not cycle through the P99 or PPQ. Which i found annoying as Hornady seems to be a premium brand, They cycled through my old Glock 17 fine for some reason. But when i close the slide on the P99 or PPQ it doesn't close all the way. Thank god i released the slide with my-hand instead of the release or a miss-fire could of happened. Has Anybody ever had this problem with a Walther firing 147gr ammo? I would Appreciate any help

·
Premium Member
13,871 Posts
Hello LFOD. I'm thinking the bullet shape or the OAL of the round may be a possible culprit. Remove the barrel, hold it in your hand and drop a round into the chamber....does it go all the way in....does it seat....?

As for a misfire, the FPB will block the path of the firing pin as long as the trigger is in the forward position. You're not going to get a 'slam fire'. It can be kinda skeery though.:eek:

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
I'm thinking the bullet shape or the OAL of the round may be a possible culprit.
This may be it.

I'd suggest taking a "stuck" cartridge out of the chamber and inspecting it to see where it is getting stuck. If it is getting stuck on the rifling, there should be marks on the bullet indicating as much. You can also try taking the barrel out of the slide and dropping a cartridge into the chamber.

·
Registered
160 Posts
i am an avid Walther collector i enjoy my range time and my security for my home. But recently i bought some Hornady 147GR XTP i believe and they would not cycle through the P99 or PPQ. Which i found annoying as Hornady seems to be a premium brand, They cycled through my old Glock 17 fine for some reason. But when i close the slide on the P99 or PPQ it doesn't close all the way. Thank god i released the slide with my-hand instead of the release or a miss-fire could of happened. Has Anybody ever had this problem with a Walther firing 147gr ammo? I would Appreciate any help
As all the experts here have already mentioned, try a few of them on an empty barrel. They should just slide in, and you should be able to turn them by hand.
Now, also as some of the experts have told me in the past, there's some reasons why these two pistols don't like to fully go to battery on a loaded barrel if you are working the slide by hand. I've had to "glock slap" my p99c a few times when I've hand released the slide, or tried to slingshot it on a loaded chamber. It may be that the weapons just need to be cleaned, or more rounds fired through them to help smooth out the parts. Mine always seems to catch about 1/8 inch from full battery, when it happens.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
. I've had to "glock slap" my p99c a few times when I've hand released the slide, or tried to slingshot it on a loaded chamber. It may be that the weapons just need to be cleaned, or more rounds fired through them to help smooth out the parts. Mine always seems to catch about 1/8 inch from full battery, when it happens.

The last time i "Glock Slapped" my g17 it slamfired and missed an antique 140 year old family heirloom near my work bench. Granted it was my fault for not using my bullet trap....paid 300 for the thing and my brain still didn't think to use it.

Anyway i took the barrel out, inserted a round and it came nowhere near close to seating properly, these were Hornady rounds which i love. never had a problem till now. Im not too knowledgeable of firearm ballistics and most firearms other than Walther and Glock. Just thought id send out a friendly warning to persons considering purchasing this round for self defense reasons. These are the rounds in question if anybody is wondering or has any! Thank you all for you kind reply's!

I posted a link to the proper ammo below, sorry for the mix up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh and im sorry for the title, had a little to much turkey 101 that nght :)
It was supposed to be the PPQ and P99. Kinda makes me wonder if the P99C has the same problems. Anyways, thanks again!

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
These are the rounds in question if anybody is wondering or has any!
I can't tell by the box. Are those the 147gr XTP rounds mentioned in the first post? I thought the XTP rounds came in a shiny mirror-like box with colors.

I'm wondering if anyone else on the forum is having issues with the same ammunition.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had problems with a Kahr 380 working with hornady customs. I couldn’t eject a cartridge from the chamber when retracting the slide. The bullet tip would hang up on the barrel hood. The overall length was longer than most other rounds I used. About .015 longer than Federal hydroshoks which ejected with no hang ups. Had feeding issues from time to time with hornady in the Kahr also which is why it is no longer with me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just seated an Aquila 9mm 110gr round in barrel outside the firearm and it set perfect. The Hornady did not, it set a ways out, but not enough to measure without some calipers. I'm just frustrated cause i now own 50 rounds of premium 9mm self defense ammo i cannot use in my Walther.

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
Whoaaa....whoa hoss.

Were you drinking and messing with your gun, or merely drinking and typing ABOUT it? ;)

As far as the Hornady ammo pictured most recently, I use those in my PPQ Classic with nary an issue. As in, several hundred of them fired through and carried and shot for the past 3 years at least.

Yeah, I drop the slide on em too, as intended.

Sorry you have problems, but I don't. Doesn't mean they're junk. ;)

And, I'd use nearly any ammo over Federal Hydrashok.

The HST is really good stuff, but to reiterate, the hydra shok is NOT. I've had multiple instances of it failing to expand on a variety of targets.

Reactions: vizslas

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
What part of the cartridge is getting stuck? Is the bullet getting pressed into the rifling, or is the casing getting stuck somewhere in the chamber?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Drinking and typing about it of course! A little turkey 101 in the evening calms the back. And i believe its the round itself, i thought at first maybe i had a odd shaped Hollow Point, but 25 in a box all being off would be a little wonky. Planning on shooting tomorrow will update with results if any are interesterd. Hope everybody has a wonderful evening!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I have hand loaded Hornady XTP bullets for a Walther P99 before, albeit only the 115-grain variety. What I found was that the XTPs would only consistently pass the "plunk test" that imaoldfart suggested when loaded to a fairly short overall length. (1.075") I'd be interested to know what the overall length of the rounds that are refusing to drop all the way into your barrel is.

Further, I suggest repeating that test, but coloring all over the bullet (and the case) with a sharpie or similar permanent marker first. After you drop the cartridge into the barrel, rotate it; the place where the cartridge is getting stuck will have the marker rubbed/scraped off, and then you'll know for sure what's going on.

Finally, I would not fire any round that won't drop in and out of the chamber freely - that means it's either out of spec or something about it is incompatible with your barrel. Ideally, they should also spin easily when fully inserted in the chamber.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I wouldn’t use hydroshoks in a 9mm. I have used them in a 380 before, but now I use something else over them. (Fiocchi Extrema). In my 9mm’s I use Federal HST either 147 or 124 gr. Much better round for your 9!

·
Registered
160 Posts
The last time i "Glock Slapped" my g17 it slamfired and missed an antique 140 year old family heirloom near my work bench. Granted it was my fault for not using my bullet trap....paid 300 for the thing and my brain still didn't think to use it.

Anyway i took the barrel out, inserted a round and it came nowhere near close to seating properly, these were Hornady rounds which i love. never had a problem till now. Im not too knowledgeable of firearm ballistics and most firearms other than Walther and Glock. Just thought id send out a friendly warning to persons considering purchasing this round for self defense reasons. These are the rounds in question if anybody is wondering or has any! Thank you all for you kind reply's!

I posted a link to the proper ammo below, sorry for the mix up.
Ok, sorry, didn't mean to upset you there. And definitely don't mean to with my response. But..."always point a gun in a safe direction" ;)
Don't feel bad I had a mishap once too.
Tho, for the record, I've had to slap mine into battery on a live round, about ten times so far. And I lost count of how many times I did it on snap caps, before I just stopped using them. The striker never released. NOT that I'm trying to talk you into doing it, I'm just saying.
That really does suck tho, paying for expensive defense rounds that aren't working for this pistol.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts