Walther Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading about the questions concerning Walther PIV/4, I also have a P38 that I need the members thoughts on. It is a 100 year 1886-1986 P38 complete with the wood case, paperwork and cleaning rod. I also have Diether H. Marschall's lastes book. My questions, the frame year stamping is IC, '82 , rather early for 1988 production. Serial number 437200. And I am probably misreading the book, however, the 100 year stamp and Walther Banner is on the left side of the slide.
Thank you for your replys

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Gun Broker auction # 778380792 100 year alloy frame code IC serial # 439834 Since I thought that I may be misunderstanding the book, I did locate three of the alloy frame 100 year P 38 pistols. However, I cannot find the list and this one was the only one I could find today.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I know nothing first-hand about the anniversary models and was also under the impression, from Dieter's book, that they were all steel-framed.

But these alloy-framed Interarms editions in that lower serial range are apparently a thing. I found the attached Julia auction, purporting to also be from the Buxton estate.

The venue of this auction gives it credibility.

Attachments

·
Registered
689 Posts
If Warren Buxton had one of these in his collection, then just like the mysterious P38IV/P4, I suspect the story of these may be somewhere in his notes for the book on the post-war P38 he hadn‘t managed to publish when he passed.

Since these export anniversary guns are some years earlier than the “real ones”, this may well have been a marketing gimmick thought up either by Walther or Interarms which later gave Walther the idea to create the all-steel fancy models.

By the 1980s, the user market for the P38/P1 was dead. You couldn’t sell an obsolete single-stack 9mm on the civilian market, all the police users had moved on, and it continued to be produced for the German army only because during the Cold War the handgun was not considered important enough for the Bundeswehr to bother looking for a replacement. So any marketing idea that might sell some more might have been given a try.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a clipping of a story written by Bob Shimek (Guns & Ammo?) which says a P38 which was identical to the production model in finish and price was offered by Interarms with the 100 Jahre inscription, and was delivered in a wooden case with a key and medallion. The case is bigger than the standard Walther box, and the insert might be for a target pistol.
He writes the frame was aluminum, with the reinforcement. I can't read the serial. Other stories seem the clipping is from 1990. A P5 was also inscribed at a much higher price.

·
Registered
689 Posts
After a close examination of what Dieter's book actually says, it is clear that my (and donp326's) original assumption was simply wrong. Dieter doesn't say the jubilee editions all had steel frames.

I'm referencing pg. 193/194 in the 3rd Edition. Dieter lists three different variants.

For the "100 Jahre Walther" US edition from 1986, which we are talking about here, he states "as standard P38 pistols", but with the slide legend and limited to 900.

Since he specifically states "steel frames" with the German edition and the "50 Jahre P38" edition, that means that the US edition had the standard alloy frame.

There is one error: Dieter describes the inscription as being on the right-hand side of the slide; it's actually on the left. The German edition has it on the right in a different format.

Case closed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.