Walther Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
As much flak as I am going to get for this. I had good luck with Winchester White Box, shot it all day long. Round nosed stuff fed right up the feed ramp and into chamber flawlessly. When I used it for carry, Hornady Critical Defense was the diet of choice. Being a filled hollow point it had best of both cakes. No nose to grab on, and still would do damage if called upon.
No one will give you flack for using WWB. It might leave a bigger mess to clean up than some other brands, but it's cheap, accurate enough, and it goes off every time. I lived in Hawaii for a while, and you could only get ammo n the store out there--there was no mail ordering. With that having been the case, I used to buy tons of WWB for my G21 for USPSA matches, and I never had problems with it.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
That's what I carry (y)
Is that ARX stuff the bullets that have the four deep channels on the front half of the pill?? Stuff looks like it'll mess stuff up. I was looking at Federal Guard Dog. Anyone ever consider frangible ammo? I was at the LGS and they had something from (I think) Lehigh Defense, a frangible 9mm in ballistics gel display. I was interested as it would prevent over penetration and still deliver energy on target and minimize post-target damage. Only thing I wonder about is if that pill would disintegrate after aging so long, or in the chamber, etc. I realize that might be a ridiculous concern, but nonetheless. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
No one will give you flack for using WWB. It might leave a bigger mess to clean up than some other brands, but it's cheap, accurate enough, and it goes off every time. I lived in Hawaii for a while, and you could only get ammo n the store out there--there was no mail ordering. With that having been the case, I used to buy tons of WWB for my G21 for USPSA matches, and I never had problems with it.
The mess was never an issue with WWB, I always found taking my pistol apart and cleaning it well to be somewhat therapeutic. Especially my 1911. I know some people look down their nose at that white box sometimes. I always found them to be somewhat snobby. It is just for making holes in paper and noise at the range. You know?

To contribute to the thread, Cheaper than Dirt website sometimes has really really good deals on a company called "American Quality Ammo". It is in a plain cardboard box, in bulk, and has like one or two company logos on it. I usually try to get a box or two when they are available and on sale. Runs cleaner than most ammo brands, not too hot of a load, and shoots REALLY well. Great accuracy in both the pistols I feed it to. I would recommend you all go take a look. With this perpetual nonsense in certain states/counties like mine, ammo is drying up again. So ordering online has become the "new normal" (as much as I HATE using that stupid term), and it feeds all the boom sticks in my collection for a while. I ordered a case of 250 rounds of 45 ACP one time and that lasted me one range trip and the pistol never hiccuped once. Started to get the barrel heat haze towards the end, and it made acquiring the front sight a little "fun".

I do believe they sell 380 ACP, and in like cases of 300 or 500 rounds. When I had my PPk, I bought two cases and it was pure cheap fun. American Quality Ammo.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Is that ARX stuff the bullets that have the four deep channels on the front half of the pill?? Stuff looks like it'll mess stuff up. I was looking at Federal Guard Dog. Anyone ever consider frangible ammo? I was at the LGS and they had something from (I think) Lehigh Defense, a frangible 9mm in ballistics gel display. I was interested as it would prevent over penetration and still deliver energy on target and minimize post-target damage. Only thing I wonder about is if that pill would disintegrate after aging so long, or in the chamber, etc. I realize that might be a ridiculous concern, but nonetheless. Thoughts?
Yes it is, still having a round nose. It feeds well in my PPK-S and Bodyguard 380. The Federal Guard Dog ammo does what it's suppose to do in regards to expansion for those jurisdictions that don't allow hollow point ammunition. I understand Lehigh makes good stuff but, I've never been a fan of frangible ammo. I think you could set your concerns aside and not worry about the bullet being effected in any way from age. I have some collector ammo from WW-II kept in the right environment and it looks like it was made yesterday.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
"...in regards to expansion for those jurisdictions that don't allow hollow point ammunition..." Even though it is a filled hollow point similar to Hornady Critical Defense?? Just with a jacket over it as well? I never could understand looney politicians

Excellent point about ammo being kept in proper environment staying in good order. Spot on.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The mess was never an issue with WWB, I always found taking my pistol apart and cleaning it well to be somewhat therapeutic. Especially my 1911. I know some people look down their nose at that white box sometimes. I always found them to be somewhat snobby. It is just for making holes in paper and noise at the range. You know?

To contribute to the thread, Cheaper than Dirt website sometimes has really really good deals on a company called "American Quality Ammo". It is in a plain cardboard box, in bulk, and has like one or two company logos on it. I usually try to get a box or two when they are available and on sale. Runs cleaner than most ammo brands, not too hot of a load, and shoots REALLY well. Great accuracy in both the pistols I feed it to. I would recommend you all go take a look. With this perpetual nonsense in certain states/counties like mine, ammo is drying up again. So ordering online has become the "new normal" (as much as I HATE using that stupid term), and it feeds all the boom sticks in my collection for a while. I ordered a case of 250 rounds of 45 ACP one time and that lasted me one range trip and the pistol never hiccuped once. Started to get the barrel heat haze towards the end, and it made acquiring the front sight a little "fun".

I do believe they sell 380 ACP, and in like cases of 300 or 500 rounds. When I had my PPk, I bought two cases and it was pure cheap fun. American Quality Ammo.
The relaxation time might be part of why I so fastidiously clean my weapons after every range trip, too. There is a certain sense of satisfaction from seeing everything so immaculate afterwards.

As far as American Quality Ammo goes, I have seen it a few times, but I haven't been to CTD's website for ammo in a long time. I have an Ammo Prime membership with Target Sports USA, so I get free shipping and per-box discounts on my ammo from them. You might want to try their plan out. I know that I have more than made back the $90 annual fee for the membership. You can't beat getting free shipping after buying 300 rounds of 9mm, 200 rounds of .45 ACP and 80 rounds of 7.62x39 154gr RNSP just to see how it runs in your AK. And that is on top of about $1.00 off of an already great price for each box of ammo.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
The relaxation time might be part of why I so fastidiously clean my weapons after every range trip, too. There is a certain sense of satisfaction from seeing everything so immaculate afterwards.

As far as American Quality Ammo goes, I have seen it a few times, but I haven't been to CTD's website for ammo in a long time. I have an Ammo Prime membership with Target Sports USA, so I get free shipping and per-box discounts on my ammo from them. You might want to try their plan out. I know that I have more than made back the $90 annual fee for the membership. You can't beat getting free shipping after buying 300 rounds of 9mm, 200 rounds of .45 ACP and 80 rounds of 7.62x39 154gr RNSP just to see how it runs in your AK. And that is on top of about $1.00 off of an already great price for each box of ammo.
Yeah that’s great to know. Will investigate. Thank you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great information regarding ammo for PPK/S! I have a new Fort Smith PPK/S and bought a few boxes of Fiocchi 95gr FMJ ammo. I received a failure to feed with every round when I tried to shoot it at the range. So I guess individual Fort Smith PPK/S pistols are finicky since one of the members experienced success with Fiocchi 95gr FMJ ammo. I still have to try some of the ammo suggested in this post.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Great information regarding ammo for PPK/S! I have a new Fort Smith PPK/S and bought a few boxes of Fiocchi 95gr FMJ ammo. I received a failure to feed with every round when I tried to shoot it at the range. So I guess individual Fort Smith PPK/S pistols are finicky since one of the members experienced success with Fiocchi 95gr FMJ ammo. I still have to try some of the ammo suggested in this post.
I have no idea about your experience, so please do not take anything I say as condescending.

The PPK/S is a straight blow-back pistol and relies heavily upon a strong base to cycle properly. Are you getting a lot of muzzle flip when you shoot it? If you are, then you need to make sure you have gripped it thoroughly and have your wrists locked. What you are describing sounds like the slide is not making it quite far enough back to fully compress the recoil spring, thereby resulting in insufficient energy to close it fully into battery after it strips a round from the magazine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have no idea about your experience, so please do not take anything I say as condescending.

The PPK/S is a straight blow-back pistol and relies heavily upon a strong base to cycle properly. Are you getting a lot of muzzle flip when you shoot it? If you are, then you need to make sure you have gripped it thoroughly and have your wrists locked. What you are describing sounds like the slide is not making it quite far enough back to fully compress the recoil spring, thereby resulting in insufficient energy to close it fully into battery after it strips a round from the magazine.
Thank you for the feedback! I appreciate any constructive comments since I'm always learning. I elected to not shoot the rounds since I encountered a FTF when I pulled back the slide to chamber the first round and subsequent rounds in my other magazines. For pistol, I'm a long time competitive Bullseye shooter so a one-handed 45 centerfire is routine for me but I did plan on a two-handed grip had the first round successfully chambered. I'm new to the PPK/S so I may not have pulled the slide back far enough. Well, it's worth another trip to the range and shoot my other Walther (Q5 SF Match Pro) as well. Thanks again for the feedback! :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thank you for the feedback! I appreciate any constructive comments since I'm always learning. I elected to not shoot the rounds since I encountered a FTF when I pulled back the slide to chamber the first round and subsequent rounds in my other magazines. For pistol, I'm a long time competitive Bullseye shooter so a one-handed 45 centerfire is routine for me but I did plan on a two-handed grip had the first round successfully chambered. I'm new to the PPK/S so I may not have pulled the slide back far enough. Well, it's worth another trip to the range and shoot my other Walther (Q5 SF Match Pro) as well. Thanks again for the feedback! :)
I try to help where I can. And speaking of not pulling the slide back far enough, that is something that can happen with our own PPK/S. The design causes it to feel like it has come back far enough to strip a round properly, but when you let the slide go, it ends up not going into battery, and the round stops in the breach at a pretty strong nose-up angle.

I went ahead and ordered a pack of A-Zoom snap caps to practice the technique with it. My own first exposure to center fire direct blow-back handguns was with my Hi Point JHP 45 (Don't laugh--I couldn't resist it at $122, and I'd always been curious about them since I first saw them hit the market back in the '90s. It actually shoots really well, and I have not had a single malfunction with it). In our household, we have a Springfield Armory 1911, three Glocks, a Walther PPQ, and a Sig P938. All of those are, of course, recoil operated, and they feel a lot different to cycle than the PPK/S. The PPK/S has been the most interesting to learn.

By the way, the easiest way to chamber the first round in the PPK/S is to lock the slide to the rear on an empty magazine before loading a charged magazine to chamber the first round. Try that the next time you take the pistol out.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Brand new out of the box, from Ft. Smith, AR
My experience with every not-poly-frame pistol is that they want use, lubrication, and cleaning; part of the trend to poly guns is that they require less/no breakin.

Use it, clean it, and keep it slick.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I try to help where I can. And speaking of not pulling the slide back far enough, that is something that can happen with our own PPK/S. The design causes it to feel like it has come back far enough to strip a round properly, but when you let the slide go, it ends up not going into battery, and the round stops in the breach at a pretty strong nose-up angle.

I went ahead and ordered a pack of A-Zoom snap caps to practice the technique with it. My own first exposure to center fire direct blow-back handguns was with my Hi Point JHP 45 (Don't laugh--I couldn't resist it at $122, and I'd always been curious about them since I first saw them hit the market back in the '90s. It actually shoots really well, and I have not had a single malfunction with it). In our household, we have a Springfield Armory 1911, three Glocks, a Walther PPQ, and a Sig P938. All of those are, of course, recoil operated, and they feel a lot different to cycle than the PPK/S. The PPK/S has been the most interesting to learn.

By the way, the easiest way to chamber the first round in the PPK/S is to lock the slide to the rear on an empty magazine before loading a charged magazine to chamber the first round. Try that the next time you take the pistol out.
Thank you for the additional insights and recommendations!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have the new Ft. Smith PPK/S in stainless steel. I find that it's good with most ammo including hollow points without failures. I like Speer Gold Dot and Hornady for self defense. I find that after about 100 rounds, the gun gets dirty and failures begin to happen so I agree that keeping the gun clean is very important. My Glock can go forever without cleaning

21 - 36 of 36 Posts