Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The following question is for all you forum members that have years of significant experience specifically with the PPK/S concerning ammo.

(keep in mind this is using a "clean PPK/S" along with a good magazine)

What is the "best ammo" to use (manufacturer make) with the PPK/S that will not cause the pistol to experience any type of jamming?

Any and all recommendations are much appreciated.

Thanks in advance to all those that post.

·
Super Moderator
7,359 Posts
What is the vintage of your PPK/s? Older imported or Ranger/Interarms guns are usually better with FMJ. Smith & Walthers, and current Ft. Smith production, are supposedly more tolerant of HPs.
Start with some good quality FMJs; avoid the WWB 'blunt' rounds.
They can be fussy, and it varies from gun to gun, shooter to shooter.
Moon

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is the vintage of your PPK/s? Older imported or Ranger/Interarms guns are usually better with FMJ. Smith & Walthers, and current Ft. Smith production, are supposedly more tolerant of HPs.
Start with some good quality FMJs; avoid the WWB 'blunt' rounds.
They can be fussy, and it varies from gun to gun, shooter to shooter.
Moon
Brand new out of the box, from Ft. Smith, AR

·
Registered
40 Posts
Just go buy several different makes of quality FMJ & HP's and see what works in your gun. Every gun can be different. I usually use some European FMJ's. Stay away from steel case ammo.

For SD or carry use:

If you subscribe to the Gel Test theory, Ammo Quest recommended Precision One ammo, which is loaded with a Hornady XTP bullet. And according to Lucky Gunners Gel Test, Hornady FTX Critical Defense is the only ammo that met the FBI criteria for penetration & expansion (based on what I see on their chart). Hornady XTP bullets seem to be a winner for .380 expansion (depending on what company is loading them).

But I'd probably take penetration over expansion (which you'll get with FMJ ammo). Just based on the chart linked below, most HP ammo just isn't getting the penetration it needs after expanding. European FMJ ammo traditionally has move velocity than US made. If you go to a website like Midwayusa, you should be able to see the velocity of each .380 ammo available. HP ammo is designed to expand at a certain velocity, so don't think more velocity is always better with HP's. HP bullets can over expand and loose that nice mushroom effect with too much velocity.

Regardless of FMJ or HP, reliability should be number 1.

.380 Auto (ACP) Ballistic Test Results

·
Registered
109 Posts
Geco FMJ was what was prolific for range ammo when we got my wife's new Ft. Smith PPK/S, and it has had no malfunctions with that ammo. We also tested it with Sig V-Crown, Federal HST, Remington HTC, Speer Gold Dots, and ARX Interceptors, among others. All of them fed perfectly, but the defensive rounds were definitely on the snappier side.

The absolute best defensive round out of the batch was the ARX Interceptor, which grouped very nicely and felt really comfortable in the recoil department.

If you go to he "New Ft. Smith PPK" thread, you'll see a picture of the 10yd group my wife and I shot with a box of the Interceptors. We each switched off with it every magazine when we shot that, so it is a combination of both of our shooting.

For range ammo, the Geco is all we've tried, and it works great. Given how well the pistol fed everything else, I can only imagine that it will certainly feed any other FMJ ammo you put through it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Geco FMJ was what was prolific for range ammo when we got my wife's new Ft. Smith PPK/S, and it has had no malfunctions with that ammo. We also tested it with Sig V-Crown, Federal HST, Remington HTC, Speer Gold Dots, and ARX Interceptors, among others. All of them fed perfectly, but the defensive rounds were definitely on the snappier side.

The absolute best defensive round out of the batch was the ARX Interceptor, which grouped very nicely and felt really comfortable in the recoil department.

If you go to he "New Ft. Smith PPK" thread, you'll see a picture of the 10yd group my wife and I shot with a box of the Interceptors. We each switched off with it every magazine when we shot that, so it is a combination of both of our shooting.

For range ammo, the Geco is all we've tried, and it works great. Given how well the pistol fed everything else, I can only imagine that it will certainly feed any other FMJ ammo you put through it.
Think1st, thank you very much for this post!.....Very informative indeed!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I bought my ARX .380 ammo from Target Sports USA, but they are out of it. Remington's SD offerings will give you decent accuracy, too, if you can't find the ARX. I have attached pictures of the 10yd groups for you to see. The stuff that is higher in the groups or drifted to the left is my fault. My wife seems to shoot the PPK/S better than I do
Rem Golden Saber.jpg

The ammo situation is rough--not as bad as 2012-2013--but still rough. Right now, I'm just trying to decide if I want to hold my nose and spend $13.95 per box for Geco 95gr FMJ. I still have half a case, which I bought for about half that price before the shut-down, but that's only good for a few range trips. I like to have a bigger cushion than that.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I’m a fan of Fiocchi 95 gr FMJ for these pistols. It’s hotter than most, and functions great for me. When I do choose to carry my PPK/S, I use the same thing. I think penetration is important, right behind shot placement. Both behind trying to run away from the issue of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
I’m a fan of Fiocchi 95 gr FMJ for these pistols. It’s hotter than most, and functions great for me. When I do choose to carry my PPK/S, I use the same thing. I think penetration is important, right behind shot placement. Both behind trying to run away from the issue of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I like the way you think. I'll take expansion if I can get it, but not at the expense of penetration. Reliability is non-negotiable.

Plus, as a civilian, I'm under no obligation to confront or engage. I'm looking to escape and avoid if possible!

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
As much flak as I am going to get for this. I had good luck with Winchester White Box, shot it all day long. Round nosed stuff fed right up the feed ramp and into chamber flawlessly. When I used it for carry, Hornady Critical Defense was the diet of choice. Being a filled hollow point it had best of both cakes. No nose to grab on, and still would do damage if called upon.

·
Registered
629 Posts
As much flak as I am going to get for this. I had good luck with Winchester White Box, shot it all day long. Round nosed stuff fed right up the feed ramp and into chamber flawlessly. When I used it for carry, Hornady Critical Defense was the diet of choice. Being a filled hollow point it had best of both cakes. No nose to grab on, and still would do damage if called upon.
No flak from me ,if WWB works well in YOUR gun, then by all means go for it. I'm curious what model you have. PPK or PPK/S? And is it made in W. Germany? Ranger/Interarms? S&W? New Ft Smith version?

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Had a S&W contract PPk. I liked that little gun, but it gave me a horrible case of slide bite and I wanted something with a little more punch, so I upped to a PPS M1 in .40.

·
Registered
327 Posts
The following question is for all you forum members that have years of significant experience specifically with the PPK/S concerning ammo.

(keep in mind this is using a "clean PPK/S" along with a good magazine)

What is the "best ammo" to use (manufacturer make) with the PPK/S that will not cause the pistol to experience any type of jamming?

Any and all recommendations are much appreciated.

Thanks in advance to all those that post.
SIG 380 ammo works good for me.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
All of my PP series pistols function properly with any FMJ round nosed ammo I have tried. For HP I prefer Silvertips.

·
Registered
73 Posts
As others noted:
  • Try a variety. I found some good cleaning key at first but the Ft. Smith one not picky.
  • For carry use, while everyone likes to cite STB, there are a good number of other testers including some of the online ammo vendors. I got a bit exuberant on the subject and collected them all into a big dataset (350+) and did graphs at Wereratgames.com – Cheese and insights from where you least expect ... insert caveat about gel testing.
  • My personal carry round with the PPK/S is HST 99gr. I wouldn’t have picked it for an LCP but our Walther drives harder than almost any other .380 in my dataset. It works 100% in mine.
  • Whatever you choose, make sure it cycles reliably. “Bang“ is a necessary condition before caring about even shot placement, much less penetration and expansion and all that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have an Interarms PPK/S. Serial number research indicates that it was made in 1980-1981. I have tried a variety of round nose and flat nose with varying success; including American Eagle, S&B, Win, Rem, Sig, Blazer, maybe some others. I found that my gun likes Remington 95gr round nose most, so now that's all I buy.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts