Walther Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Administrator
3,404 Posts
I can actually answer those, but I don’t work for Walther but I have asked all of the same questions to Bret Vorhees - the senior product manager for Walther USA.

1). P99- steady as she goes. The last I heard was that they plan to continue the current offering of the P99 in full sized and compact offerings. I do not know of any plans to upgrade it.

2). Pk380- pk 380 will move over to the CCP platform with an introduction of a CCP 380 which will have a tool less take down.

3). No, not at this time, 10 mm is still a pretty niche cartridge.

4). New Steel Frame platforms are in the works and I would expect to see them by 3rd quarter.

Now, and I want to re-iterate, I am not speaking for Bret or anyone else at Walther. This is just paraphrasing a series of conversations that I have had over a period of time with Bret.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the response. You may not be speaking for Walther officially but you seem to have a pretty inside track on what's happening. That sort of info is always appreciated.

Is there any thing you can share about the PPK? What's going on there?

·
Registered
844 Posts
As far as I know, PPK is only coming out in .380.

Mike, CCP’s initial issues were based on poor QC and that weird take down procedure. Both items have been rectified. .380 is going to be the next evolution of the CCP. The PK 380 is getting long in the tooth as far as gun designs go, and ergonomically, the CCP has it beat. The CCP has already proven itself to be fantastically popular with people looking for that type of handgun (small, lightweight, easy to rack).

Put your derision on a shelf for a moment and really consider this. If you look at what the CCP does, and compare it agains the PK380. It makes MORE sense to have a CCP in .380 than in 9mm. Both guns are built in Arnsberg, so you can’t talk about “real Walthers” or any of that stuff. When you look that most .380’s are straight blowback, putting the softcoil system on it makes sense. The CCP in .380 will be a better gun that it is in 9mm.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Mike, CCP’s initial issues were based on poor QC and that weird take down procedure. Both items have been rectified. .380 is going to be the next evolution of the CCP. The PK 380 is getting long in the tooth as far as gun designs go, and ergonomically, the CCP has it beat. The CCP has already proven itself to be fantastically popular with people looking for that type of handgun (small, lightweight, easy to rack).

Put your derision on a shelf for a moment ... The CCP in .380 will be a better gun that it is in 9mm.
Forgive my skepticism, but all that sounds like a press release.

M

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
As far as I know, PPK is only coming out in .380. CCP’s initial issues were based on poor QC and that weird take down procedure. Both items have been rectified. .380 is going to be the next evolution of the CCP.
When I asked about the possibility of either the PK or PPK/PPK-S being converted to 32cal the Walther rep did say that the PPK was and will remain a 380 cal. He added that 380 sales have been very slow for quite some time.

EK...I would disagree regarding the basis for CCP issues. Both the striker and striker spring were a mess and the rear lockdown was dismal and potentially dangerous.. I would certainly call those as design and materials failures.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I am not as skeptical as the both of you, I have had two CCP’s and never had an issue with either...

But you guys asked and I told you what I was told. Don’t freakin shoot the messenger.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I am not as skeptical as the both of you, I have had two CCP’s and never had an issue with either... But you guys asked and I told you what I was told. Don’t freakin shoot the messenger.
Ek....no intention to shoot anyone. Just expressing my observations, opinion and incidents described by a number of owners in the main CCP thread.

·
Read Only
5,165 Posts
I saw awhile back there was going to be a .380 CCP
(the pertinent info was posted here in that leaked "price releae" thingamuhjig..)

While I can appreciate the reduced recoil and racking forces of a slim 9mm...why would anyone want or need the same sized in in a marginally less powerful cartridge?

I mean...did Walther NOT offer the PPQ SC in .40 for that very reason?

But I'm the guy still loving on the 2013 made PPS that has had a replaced striker spring retainer because I dry fired the piss out of it, so...I know nothing about CCPs, .380, and the PPK/S.

Other than that the PPK guns are handsome, save for that hideous beaver tail, but I still won't buy one, 'less it comes by way of a checkmark on the test target in the .32 box. :D

·
Registered
202 Posts
I am not as skeptical as the both of you, I have had two CCP’s and never had an issue with either...

But you guys asked and I told you what I was told. Don’t freakin shoot the messenger.

Well, I'm kind of disappointed to learn that the PK380 is due to phase out into a .380 CCP. I don't doubt that many users have had no issue with their CCP's. I can understand why they might want to soften the recoil of a 9mm, but there's clearly simpler ways of having an easy-to-manipulate and soft recoiling pistol in .380ACP.

I agree the PK380 is a little long in the tooth, but I just don't think a CCP .380 will compete well with the S&W Shield .380 EZ. I've fired a few CCP's in 9mm but don't own any. For me it was more of a curiosity, but I don't see a lot of them in the cases at the LGS these days. Maybe they're really two totally different market segments, but I think S&W successfully tapped an underserved market segment with their .380 Shield and in my mind, the only competitor in the neighborhood was the aging PK380.

On another note, glad that the P99 is still on the roster from what you have heard! I look forward to hear what the OP reports from his interaction with the Walther rep.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.