Walther Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Worn(ish) condition, crown over "N" stamping. 188XXX Serial with the "W" Suffix.

For the pistol only, what price range would be a fair deal? I know the "W" suffix is pretty rare.

I know these are pretty rare, I would really like to add on to my collection, but not for insane prices.

Thanks in advance!

Premium Member
I can't help you with a price but those are post war grips.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, does that detract a lot from it? Does the mag hand extension look correct for a pre-war?

Premium Member
Thanks, does that detract a lot from it? Does the mag hand extension look correct for a pre-war?
Yes, it should affect the price. An original set of replacement grips for it would cost you an extra $250-300 and you run the risk of cracking them during installation and shooting. The finger rest on the magazine does look correct.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah ok, makes sense. Now I just need to figure out if $1300 is a good price for this little guy.

Registered
I had one at one time, but eventually sent it on its way. I guess I鈥檓 not partial to mysteries, especially one that will never be solved. I鈥檝e always thought the most logical explanationfor the 鈥渨鈥 suffix was a screw up in the serial number section of the factory. One of the guys picked up the 鈥渨鈥 suffix used for .22 series of bolt action rifles and the cranked out a bunch. Rather than machine off the mistake or try to overstamp, they just sold them. And it happened again.

Such silly mistakes did happen. The crew in the Mint in Berlin sometimes produced duplicate numbered police warrant discs for the Gestapo, Kripo and Gemeinde Kripo.

Premium Member
$1,300 isn't a bad price at all. I got one a few years ago for about $1,200. Magnificent piece of machinery. Actually my EDC. Hornady Critical Defense has the .32 covered. Thought I traded the grips out for the ones in your pix. Original mag is in the safe with them.

Reactions: Default_001

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the help and advice! I did purchase it.

Could anyone point me towards reasonably priced, correct grips (per the current market haha)?

Premium Member
I got mine on eBay for a good price. The black ones are also easy to come by. But I like the brown. I wish I could use the original grips. So damn good looking.

Premium Member
Could anyone point me towards reasonably priced, correct grips (per the current market haha)?
You can ask Earl as he usually has some in stock and it looks like Charlie Justman has a few. I would also hit up Tom Whiteman at Legacy.

Premium Member
I should also point out that there are one piece replicas that look very close to the originals. In my picture below is an original grip from WWII, a post war two piece, and a post war one piece reproduction by Franzite.

Know what you're buying before you spend $275-300 and understand that you could break an original during installation. They are VERY fragile.
Brown Rectangle Wood Everyday carry Font

1 - 13 of 13 Posts