Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you run a Vortex Venom?
I can't afford the high prices reflex sights, so I'm looking at the venom.
How doesn't it hold up, keeping zero and not having the dot go out?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Any of you run a Vortex Venom?
I can't afford the high prices reflex sights, so I'm looking at the venom.
How doesn't it hold up, keeping zero and not having the dot go out?

I have two Vortex Venom with the 6 MOA dot. One is on a Q4 and the other (since just recently) on a PPQ .22LR.

To answer your specific questions:

1) Yes, it does hold zero.

2) Yes, the dot will go out......but only if you don't keep an eye on the lid of the battery compartment, as it tends to work loose with usage. My solution is to keep the special tool (or something similar) always at hand.

Another point (about which you didn't ask) is that the Venom produces a very obvious optical distortion in comparison with the only “high-price reflex sight” which I possess, namely a Delta Point Pro. This distortion was not significant enough to prevent me from ordering a second one. Apart from the price, and the somewhat smaller field of view, the Venom is quite a bit lighter than the Delta Point Pro and it sits lower on the slide.

Balor

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I have three of them. Never had an issue other than the battery cover coming lose. For $180 you can’t beat it! Vortex has a great warranty.

I am ordering another so I can have a 6MOA.

I just dropped a little over $2K for a Shadow 2 and even though I will fave criticism, I am going with a venom on that gun as well. I will lose some of the cool factor but I just done see where other options are worth $500 more.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just picked up a 6moa Venom and mounted it on my Q5 Poly.
Out to the range and sighted it off a pistol rest at 25 yards.
No problem holding sub-2" groups, even with the larger dot.
I've got till April, before we start IDPA/USPSA here in Michigan, so I have some time to beta test it. Hope it holds up. Thanks for the advise.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have one on a PPQ 22LR and one on a Q5 Match. Both have held up fine with no issues holding zero and never had the battery covers work loose. I also have a DeltaPoint Pro, Sig Romeo 1, and Shield RMS and although the Venom is my least favorite of the ones I have, I still like it and consider it to be the best value of all of them with the great Vortex warranty to go along with it.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also have a DeltaPoint Pro, Sig Romeo 1, and Shield RMS and although the Venom is my least favorite of the ones I have, I still like it and consider it to be the best value of all of them with the great Vortex warranty to go along with it.
Why is it your least favorite? What makes the others better?

·
Registered
490 Posts
To my “Yes, it does hold zero” above, I should have added the obvious:

.......“but only if you apply Loctite (or similar) to all four mounting screws”.

Balor

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have went thru 3 vortex venoms,then went with Leupold DPP and now I am running the Trijicon SRO. The Vortex's just wouldn't hold up,one died with less than 800 rds the other 2 lasted between 1500 and 3000rds . got tired of optic not lasting over a month. Really liked the Leupolds for the viewing window and the clarity of the glass,but again they died around 3000 to 10000rds. So as of now the SRO is holding up fine. It also has a great viewing optic window. The dot stays in the window when shooting!I wish I wouldn't have wasted my time with the cheaper optics,in the long run should have just spent the money for a great quality optic. (BUY ONCE CRY ONCE)

·
Registered
260 Posts
If you're looking at vortex then go with the viper. The venom was not originally designed for use on a pistol slide and the viper was. Mine lasted 6-7k rounds or so and was still working great when I sold it.
U could also look at the holosun 407c which is around the same price. U can also find a leupold deltapoint pro used for 300 or so, I just sold one for 275

Sent from my H8266 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you're looking at vortex then go with the viper. The venom was not originally designed for use on a pistol slide and the viper was. Mine lasted 6-7k rounds or so and was still working great when I sold it.
U could also look at the holosun 407c which is around the same price. U can also find a leupold deltapoint pro used for 300 or so, I just sold one for 275
I will not have a reflex sight that I have to remove the unit, in order to change the battery. I also use it for silhouette shoots and don't like to have to re-sight the gun, after changing the battery. I have yet to see one that doesn't have to be. Even if it's off an inch at 25 yards, that's too much.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I don't understand why people get so up in arms about removing an optic to change a battery. They last years, bottom loading battery also allows the optic to be mounted lower to the slide, the rmr is the most popular optic on the market and has a bottom loading battery. I guess if someone only shoots their gun once a year it's a slight inconvenience if you don't turn off the optic and have to change the battery the next time you use it but it should not be a deciding factor for most people unless you constantly use your optic and have to have it on max brightness all the time for some reason I guess I can see the argument, we should be confirming zero periodically anyway.
All that said the bottom loading tray on the holosun is a complete pos and requires a proprietary tool to change which is an all around massive fail so I understand people not going for that optic for that reason.
Everything about the viper is better than the venom for slide mounted handgun use, if the battery mounting situation is your only real concern then go venom I guess

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I went Vernon due to the battery issues. But looking back, I don’t really think it’s a big deal.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I have well over 10,000 rounds on my Vortex optics and have yet to have a failure other than when I stuck a pistol through a portal and the optic was smashed upon recoil. It was replaces in a few days by Vortex under their unconditional lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Vortex has a great warranty. I've got 2 on carbines and a Viper on a pistol. You also should look at the Burris FF3 which I prefer and have on 2 pistols.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Why is it your least favorite? What makes the others better?
I wish the window of the Venom was a little bigger and I wish it had a rear notch like the Shield RMS or allowed for a rear sight attachment like the DPP. I also feel there is a little more distortion through the glass than the others. But like I said... I have 2 of them so I obviously like the Venom. Well worth the price.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have two Vortex Venom's, and you cannot beat them for the money. No issues with either on two different pistols (VP9 and Kriss Sphinx). With this being said, I just bought a Holosun HE508T Titanium due to how rugged it is. Not cheap, but if you are not hunting terrorist after your day job, then I think the Venom would serve you well for half the price. If you ever have a problem with a Vortex, send it back and get a new one free of charge.

Here is an excellent review on the Holosun red dot by a very well known and respected gun guy: https://youtu.be/EK0O6eI5rZU

·
Registered
170 Posts
I think the FF3 has a slightly taller window then the Venom. Either is a good choice in the moderate price range.

The FF3 can be found almost anywhere for 180 the Venom is usually about 40 bucks more.

As far as finding the dot easier on the Venom than the Burris, I think it does depend on the dot size. I have a 6MOA on my Vortex and an 8MOA on both my Burris and my FTP. You want a bigger dot like 6 or 8 for a pistol unless your primary use is for Bullseye.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts