Walther Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve recently had my vision rx updates and have gotten back to the range after a long break.

I have noticed that my vision now when shooting tends to have a tough time focusing on either the target or the three dots.

I am wondering how others have handled vision changes, I am nearsighted, and do not wear bifocals and am right eye dominant.

Would changing out the sights on my PPS to a truglo benefit or is this something that takes time to adjust from continued practice shooting?

I’m still hitting what I intend to but the grouping is not the greatest and the time to focus is increased if that makes sense.

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
I’ve recently had my vision rx updates and have gotten back to the range after a long break.

I have noticed that my vision now when shooting tends to have a tough time focusing on either the target or the three dots.

I am wondering how others have handled vision changes, I am nearsighted, and do not wear bifocals and am right eye dominant.

Would changing out the sights on my PPS to a truglo benefit or is this something that takes time to adjust from continued practice shooting?

I’m still hitting what I intend to but the grouping is not the greatest and the time to focus is increased if that makes sense.
Changing sights can help some. In time you will probably be forced to choose either the front sight or the target, start using an RDS or just accept it.

·
Registered
884 Posts

Do you mean you cannot simultaneously focus on the target front and rear sight?

Or do you mean none are focused clearly?

If not simultaneous ly clear , that is usual as they are at different focal length, so focus on the front sight.

If none are clear ( independent focus) then have your prescription checked.

Personally I would not change sights until I got the prescription resolved.

Also , I do not care for fat fiber optics in general, so would not go with truglo or hi viz.

Fat fuzzy fiber optic will not resolve fuzzy vision.

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
Do you mean you cannot simultaneously focus on the target front and rear sight?
Or do you mean none is focused clear?

If not simultaneous , that is usual so focus on the front sight.
If none are clear ( independent focus) then have your prescription checked.

Personally I would not change sights until I got the prescription resolved.
Also I do not care for fat fiber optics so would not go with truglo or hi viz. Fat fuzzy fiber optic will not resolve fuzzy vision.
I am talking about age related presbyopia which is what I took the OPs initial post to be referring to.

As far as I know, there is no cure.

Once presbyopia kicks in, we shooters are forced into some compromises.

For me, that ultimately led to embracing RDS for most of my shooting. Others may take a different path such as various forms of bifocals, point shooting, ...

My point is there is no cure for presbyopia and we are forced to find workarounds. I found there were plusses and minuses to each workaround I tried.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I took it as myopia, the OP stated he does not have bifocals. Possibly the prescription was off.
Could be something else. Thus recommend going back to his doctor.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am talking about age related presbyopia which is what I took the OPs initial post to be referring to.

For me, that ultimately led to embracing RDS for most of my shooting. Others may take a different path such as various forms of bifocals, point shooting, ...

My point is there is no cure for presbyopia and we are forced to find workarounds. I found there were plusses and minuses to each workaround I tried.
Thanks for the responses! I can either focus on the sights, both rear and front or I can focus on the front, the rear sights get blurry, and the target, red 25 yd bullseye is blurry still but not too bad.

Sadly and unfortunately I’m not at the full on presbyopia yet where I need bifocals, so says my doctor, but eventually it may be in the cards.

So I’m curious, what is RDS?

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
Thanks for the responses! I can either focus on the sights, both rear and front or I can focus on the front, the rear sights get blurry, and the target, red 25 yd bullseye is blurry still but not too bad.

Sadly and unfortunately I’m not at the full on presbyopia yet where I need bifocals, so says my doctor, but eventually it may be in the cards.

So I’m curious, what is RDS?

OK. I misunderstood. Your eye can only focus on one thing at a time, so focus on that front sight. If a different front sight helps you to focus on it, go for it.

·
Premium Member
14,118 Posts
RDS = red dot sight. I suffered from the woes you describe and tried various work-arounds. One thing I tried was 'mono vision'. Had the right lens ground for closeup (about 42"....distance to the front sight, and the left lens ground for distance. In use the brain will stitch these two images together, allowing you to clearly see the sights and the target. However, for me, my little pea brain was having difficulty stitching these two images together.....maybe I just didn't stay with it long enough to retrain my brain.

Since then, I've moved on and have settled on a red dot optic 'optic' for guns milled for an optic, and Speed Sights on guns where I'm stuck with open sights. A 'red dot' optic will allow you to use your distance vision to see the dot as well as your target.

Speed Sights are simply in a category of 'one'. They use a set of diamonds...making sight alignment super easy....their also MUCH easier to see and align then regular sights.

Here's the Speed Sights on a MR 9 (P99 clone)

They align like this. Point of impact is the top/tip of the front sight diamond.

And a Shield RMS (reflex mini sight). The orange front sight lines up nicely in the built-in rear notch in the Shied RMS. If I was a better photographer, everything would be in focus. 😂

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

RDS = red dot sight. I suffered from the woes you describe and tried various work-arounds. One thing I tried was 'mono vision'. Had the right lens ground for closeup (about 42"....distance to the front sight, and the left lens ground for distance. In use the brain will stitch these two images together, allowing you to clearly see the sights and the target. However, for me, my little pea brain was having difficulty stitching these two images together.....maybe I just didn't stay with it long enough to retrain my brain.

Since then, I've moved on and have settled on a red dot optic 'optic' for guns milled for an optic, and Speed Sights on guns where I'm stuck with open sights. A 'red dot' optic will allow you to use your distance vision to see the dot as well as your target.

Speed Sights are simply in a category of 'one'. They use a set of diamonds...making sight alignment super easy....their also MUCH easier to see and align then regular sights.

View attachment 96470

View attachment 96471

They align like this. Point of impact is the top/tip of the front sight diamond.
View attachment 96472

And a Shield RMS (reflex mini sight). The orange front sight lines up nicely in the built-in rear notch in the Shied RMS. If I was a better photographer, everything would be in focus. 😂
View attachment 96473
Thank you everyone for sharing your experience and insight! Gives me some hope now and some options! Of course practice practice and more practice will help too. I’ll do more research on the sight options suggested!

·
Registered
962 Posts

View attachment 96470

View attachment 96471

View attachment 96472

View attachment 96473

I really need to come up to DFW and go and shoot with you.....

After years of suffering from myopia and astigmatism, I had Lasik last summer, and I'm still going nuts. Now instead of being able to see sights, and struggling with the target, I'm the other way around, really struggling with sights, and able to see the target, which is a big reason I started to shift everything to a dot. That said, there are some guns that I'd still like to run that dot isn't an option, but I'll be damned if those speed sights don't look like they would still be extremely easy to pick up.

Have me thinking!

·
Premium Member
14,118 Posts
I had Lasik about 12 years ago. Doctor suggested mono vision, with the cavate that if I didn't like it, he could redo the closeup eye for distance.....at no charge. So, I went for mono vision. I struggled with mono vision....trying to give my pea brain enough time to adapt to seamlessly stitch the two images together. I never adapted. But the worse thing was what I experienced at night.....outside/driving, etc. EVERY light, meaning every star, porch light, headlight, tail light, street light (you get the picture)....had a halo around it. The distance eye would see these lights clearly, while the closeup eye would see it as a blur. It was maddening.

Went back and had the closeup eye redone for distance. Happy camper now. A couple of years after that my German shepherd plopped down close to me, stickling/sliding his front paws forward as he laid down and he poked one of his toenails in my right eye.....I thought he poked a hole in it......man, that hurt. Went to the eye doctor the next day to get it checked out....no hole, and nothing that needed to be done, other than some eye-drops. My vision never did come back to 20/20 in that eye, but it's not bad.

I have no doubt, you'd like Speed Sights. Super easy to pickup and align......and, there's no worrying about trying to center the front sight blade in the notch.

·
Registered
14 Posts

I just changed my shooting glasses to the new prescription with a few differences. I raised the in close (reading) line higher so that I could see the sights much better. It works perfectly for the distance (far away) line for seeing the target.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
I had my eye Dr write up a shooting contact lens Rx for my right eye. It focuses at a distance 6" beyond my right fist when my arm is fully extended.
I can shoot ok with my standard contacts or glasses, but I shoot better then ever before in my life with my "shooting lens" in.
This also allows me to use any "off the shelf" eye protection based on light conditions.
I use Oakley yellow contrast glasses indoors, and Ray Ban Predators during outdoor shooting on sunny days.
I kick myself that I didn't get a "shooting contact" sooner.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts