Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At $650, I think the price is high. No box, single magazine. However, the .32 caliber PP looks exceptionally clean and action is good and smooth. Forgot to look at the markings to determine where it was manufactured, but the finish reminds me of the finish on my relatively recently acquired Manurhin PPK/s.
I believe this pistol was there when I bought the PPK/s about 3 months ago. So maybe a little room for the dealer to drop the price.
I was there looking for a Ruger Wrangler and a .380 1911.

·
Registered
9,842 Posts
You can purchase MecGar magazines for it. They work fine. You can also make an offer that is less than the asking price. My experience is that .32 cal PP pistols sell for more money than a .380...all things equal. I don't need boxes myself since I'm not a collector. I shoot mine and the last thing i would do is carry one out to shoot in a cardboard box. All manner of soft cases can be bought inexpensively enough. 1917

·
Super Moderator
7,324 Posts
.380 vs .32 is an odd call. The consigenti here prefer the .32 as an original caliber that is much more pleasant to shoot.
Ordinary shoppers (here in the USofA especially) have long preferred the larger caliber.
How aware is the shop of this? You might use this when finagling a deal. Good luck!
Moon

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
.380 vs .32 is an odd call. The consigenti here prefer the .32 as an original caliber that is much more pleasant to shoot.
Ordinary shoppers (here in the USofA especially) have long preferred the larger caliber.
How aware is the shop of this? You might use this when finagling a deal. Good luck!
Moon
I had an interarms .380 blued ppk/s and got rid of it (of course I wish I had not - sold it for $450) that was a good shooter in terms of dependability, but I disliked the harshness. After shooting a .32, my eyes opened as to how pleasant the PPK/s could be. Oddly enough, I have put a .22 ppk/s on my wish list.
Not sure as to how aware they are as to the gun and its properties. Thinking not that much. When I emailed them about getting me the information off of the side of the pistol, they replied we have four of them. I pointed out they had 3 ppk/s and one PP.
I got an OK deal from them on my blued ppk/s - $850 for an immaculate Manuhrin model just a few months ago.
Boxes and extra mags are not a deal breaker for me - I am not a "collector" per se, but somehow seem to accumulate a few guns. More than I can readily shoot.
I anticipate I will end up with this gun. Came into a little money recently - even though my job is tenuous at best - and might make that my gift to myself. I bought my wife a citizen's watch at this same store for Christmas along with a 1939 pocket watch for my mom (no idea why she has an interest in a pocket watch at 96 years old so I got her about as old as she is).

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Unless the gun is on consignment at the shop I would bet dollars to donuts that they paid under $300 for the gun. I would start negotiations with a $450 offer.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
A .380 PP will typically fetch more than an equivalent gun chambered in .32 on auction sites like GB. The .32 is well liked here, even preferred, but the typical buyer assumes that more is better. The .380 remains a fairly popular caliber in the USA, with new models being introduced in that caliber. Vintage Walthers in .32 is our little secret, so let’s keep it that way... ;)

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Another Walther sweet shooter that's under the radar, the P5 chambered in 30 Luger (7.65 Para/7.65x21).
93grs @ 1200fps exceeds 300 ft/lbs ME, sure doesn't feel like that. Super flat trajectory too.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Under the radar? More like unobtanium in the USA. (Yes, I know that you have one ;) )

Reactions: Jimbo80

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Under the radar? More like unobtanium in the USA. (Yes, I know that you have one ;) )

Actually two.

The 30 Luger barrels come up for sale on GB from time to time. These barrels swap right on the 9mm P5s and run with no other changes. Even the 9mm mags are used for shooting 30 Luger.

Quite a few 9 Para/7.65 Para twin barrel P5s got their parts "scattered to the winds" by the prior owners.

If I see a 2nd wayward 30 Luger barrel in my travels, I will attempt to grab it.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As expected I bought the pp. They took $50 off the asking price. Assuming this is a German gun. The slide has a proof mark that appears to be an N with a crown above it. Serial number is 142522.
Definitely want a new set of grips for it. Not nearly as clean as the ppk/s I bought there a couple of months ago.
Ended up buying a basic 10/22 for my granddaughter's boyfriend as well.
Wife bought a neat clock for our son as well.
Expensive day at the LGS.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Pictures are not clear and don't show the important bits. Clear pics of the proof marks and roll mark would help to evaluate the gun? Crown over N denotes pre war. The gun looks to have been refinished but it is hard to tell from the pics.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
261 Posts
I see ZM listed as origin and a 'p' suffix, therefore wartime and probably refinished. Still nice for that price, IMHO.

·
Premium Member
1,484 Posts
C/N with a 60° safety would date it to around 1937-40. I agree with Jimbo that it looks like a refinish from these pics. It should make a good shooter.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Took the gun apart. No other numbers except 2 0 on lower left frame underneath the grip. Might be a line or I on the barrel directly above the proof mark. However, if this is a refinish, it's a pretty good job.
Cycled some rounds through the gun. No issues.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well if this chart is accurate it was produced in 1938. Oddly enough a pocket watch I bought there yesterday was made a year later, 1939. It was a Gruen veri-thin.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts