Walther Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first semi pistol was a Walther PPS; I still have it, still love it, will not part with it, even after purchasing five more pistols and three revolvers since then. It is still something special to me, aside from being an excellent shooter and cc gun.

Was in a local gun shop yesterday and noticed a version 1 PPS like mine, on sale on consignment, priced at $495! I about fell over. Now, that doesn't mean the owner is going to get that amount, of course, but I thought it was a bit overpriced, especially for what I paid for mine over three years ago, and being a used firearm.

Have these models increased in value since the M2 was introduced?

·
Registered
629 Posts
The M1's have been going for 300-400 (mostly for a lightly used 9mm version) depending on what accessories are included. The .40 can still be found NIB for 365 plus shipping.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I have seen used M1's selling anywhere from $350-$400 in 9mm. They are not as plentiful on the secondary market as the .40 caliber M1, which I have seen priced below 400.00. Less than twelve months ago, I purchased a previously owned M1 9mm for 420.00 with tax included. The pistol had less than fifty rounds through it. Basically, a new gun.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I bought 2 slightly used PPS M1 9mm pistols last year. I was told there was 100 to 150 rounds threw each one. 1 was $300, the other was $325.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
119 Posts
I bought 2 slightly used PPS M1 9mm pistols last year. I was told there was 100 to 150 rounds threw each one. 1 was $300, the other was $325.

I paid $300 for mine. Totally mint. Import marked Walther. I've seen a few lately that were import marked S&W. Much prefer over the Gen 2. GARY

·
Registered
32 Posts
I paid $300 for mine. Totally mint. Import marked Walther. I've seen a few lately that were import marked S&W. Much prefer over the Gen 2. GARY
Good deal! 1 of mine is import marked Walther, the other is marked S&W.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Bought my lightly used PPS M1 9mm for $300.00. Great find and a great carry piece. Original receipt included in the box was for almost twice the price.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, my initial reaction to seeing a PPS on consignment for $495 was sound. I believe I paid $410 for mine new. Because it was priced so high is why I wondered if "value" overrode sensibility! Of course, as my father-in-law always said, "If you want it bad enough, you pay the price."

·
Registered
181 Posts
The PPS - used - typically in my area go from about $300 to $400, maybe a touch more with accessories, ammo, extra mags.

I've purchased several in the last 2 years. Lowest I paid was something like $250 and highest about $350. I only buy excellent quality and I don't pay top dollar...

At that price, I'm always a buyer and they are too good and too low priced to bother selling off IMO.

·
Registered
150 Posts
The owner at my LGS has a PPS9 M1 for $499. I had the same reaction that you did. He said it was on consignment.

The way it works is the gun owner sets a must have price, let's say $400. The LGS owner adds a commission - let's say 15% - ($60). Then, he adds "haggle" to price the gun for sale.

$400 + $60 + $35 (The haggle is usually close to taxes if owner is an optimist). Whala, OTD for less than $500.:D

·
Registered
119 Posts
The owner at my LGS has a PPS9 M1 for $499. I had the same reaction that you did. He said it was on consignment.

The way it works is the gun owner sets a must have price, let's say $400. The LGS owner adds a commission - let's say 15% - ($60). Then, he adds "haggle" to price the gun for sale.

$400 + $60 + $35 (The haggle is usually close to taxes if owner is an optimist). Whala, OTD for less than $500.:D
Most stores here do not do consignment. But the one that does, is different. The seller fixes a price. When it sells, the store deducts a 10% commission. So the commission is deducted from the price, not added. And the store owner advises the seller what the realistic selling price is. No fantasy selling prices allowed, as he wants his commission. a GARY.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Well, the rub is always between "must have price" and "realistic expectation", whether it be selling a house, a car, or in this case a firearm. I've only traded any of my guns twice, and both times I knew going in that I'd take a bath, but I rationalized by telling myself I'd been renting the (trade-in) for a while and was the enjoyment I'd gotten worth the amount of money I was going to "lose" in the deal. More often than not, IMO "worth", or "value" is only the amount the payer is willing to give, not what the seller wants to receive.

I just found this observation to be way beyond "realistic expectation", although I certainly wish the seller good luck!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Last year I bought two used PPS M1's.

The 9mm was a little used but not much I paid $220.

The .40sw looked brand new, the poor guy even left his transfer paperwork in the case. It might of had 1 box of ammo through it.....maybe. I paid $200 for that one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts