Walther Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having purchased numerous +98% "safe queens" in 2018 (P5s/P6/P7), I'm looking into the best method of "long term" safe storage.

It seems the ideal storage solution would be using..........

https://www.uline.com/BL_201/VCI-Poly-Tubing ............

in my vacuum sealer.

Anyone else done/heard of doing this.

Before the bashing starts, I own "shooters" of all the models I'm "long term" storing.

Attachments

Reactions: Balogh

·
Registered
284 Posts
DUA, this is an excellent idea, and my mentor in shooting/reloading/firearms did this with many of his collectible pistols. We learned a lot, thinking through the process and doing it.

The first step we did was take the pistols down and make sure they were very clean and bone dry inside. (Wearing rubber gloves to keep bodily oils which contain salts off them.). While doing this step, we also removed plastic parts, particularly grips, which might not react well to long-term contact with oil.

Then we used heavy oil/light grease as a preservative, because typical light gun oils are more lubricants than preservative. Nowadays there are better options than what we used back in the 80s, and I have been using Break Free's "Collector," which is specifically made to stick to surfaces and block oxidation.

Then we reassembled the pistols (minus the plastic parts) and released all the spring tension which was feasible and sprayed the outside down with preservative.

At this point, the vacuum sealer we had, used rolls of plastic sleeves and we could seal them at any length and create seals while leaving separated compartments attached, which is what we did. We sealed the gun in a pouch, and then sealed the grips and other plastic parts in a separate section, but leaving it attached to the section with the gun in it, so they would not get separated. We put a little silica-gel dessicant pack in the side with the grips to prevent any moisture build-up.

Hope that helps, DUA.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks MMA10mm, that helps a ton.

I was wondering about what type of preservative oil is available for this process. I'll pick up the Brake Free Collector.

I had concerns of the plastic parts degrading with years of exposure to the oil, that's a great idea to make a "two section" vacuum sealed package, a "wet" for the firearm, a "dry" for the plastic.

I've kept all the correct OE supplies mags with these firearms too, having the correct mag stampings (for Walther P5 Varations & SIG Sauer P6 production date), and mag date codes (for HK P7s) matters to me in this collection. I may make "three section" packages.

Reactions: MMA10mm

·
Registered
26 Posts
Do you think putting some oxygen absorbers (packaged iron dust) and moisture absorbers (silica gel) in the package will also work?

I imagine it would sometimes be hard or impossible to separate the plastic from the metal, so oiling alone would pose risks to the plastic.

·
Registered
196 Posts
YES, I was wondering if i should admit i did the vac pac thing on 4 pistols,
about 5 years ago, normal clean and light lub, put one each of those small dry
packs in also, VAC'd it and put it away.

Took them out of suspended animation 3 months ago to shot 10 rounds each,
clean oil and back in suck bags tey will go. NOTICED !
NOTHING !
metal just fine !
plastic grips just fine ( no warp or discolor ) :)
wood grips just fine ( no warp or discolor ) :)

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm on the fence with regard to putting oxygen and moisture absorbers in the packages.

Will be sealing these guns up for storage in a few weeks (before the Texas humidity starts).

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I read up on Brake Free CO Collector today, plenty of info from gun owners (on numerous forums).

All good reviews. The stuff protects great, never hardens, never evaporates (after years of storage, guns still have a film of CO Collector, like they were JUST treated).

CO Collector® - The Safariland Group

I ordered 2 bottles from Midway for my vacuum storage process.

Reactions: MMA10mm

·
Registered
284 Posts
Do you think putting some oxygen absorbers (packaged iron dust) and moisture absorbers (silica gel) in the package will also work?

I imagine it would sometimes be hard or impossible to separate the plastic from the metal, so oiling alone would pose risks to the plastic.
I'm on the fence with regard to putting oxygen and moisture absorbers in the packages.

Will be sealing these guns up for storage in a few weeks (before the Texas humidity starts).
So, our thought was that the pistols' plastic/rubber parts occasionally had small metal bushings/parts attached, especially steel grip-screw bushings pressed into some of the grips. Since we did not want to put oil on those parts, but still wanted to protect from rust, we put dessicant packs in the compartments with those parts. We did not put dessicant packs in the pouches with the oiled pistols, because we thought that would make a mess as well as possibly drying out the oil. If you have other pistols you are vacuum packing, and have one-piece grips, make a wood/aluminum block to fill the middle void, so the vacuum packer doesn't squash the grips flat.

I would not worry about dessicant packs with the grips. They are not powerful enough to dry out rubber or plastic. Heck, I find them in almost everything which gets packaged and shipped these days, including leather shoes. If they won't dry out the leather, rubber and plastic are safe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.