Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the range today and brought my P99 .40 and my brothers Kimber CDP II 45. Man that Kimber is one soft shooter! Hmmm, I dunno what to think. I do not like the way it's laid out, I do not like the mag release, I do not like the slide release, I do not like the hammer, but man it's one soft, accurate shooter. And I really like that. Hmmm...

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Well, I love 1911s AND P99s. Have both. I have a sweet Springfield TRP 1911, and will get a Kimber in a few months.

·
Registered
189 Posts
DTQ,
If you like the controls of the P99 but like the big ball push of the .45 ACP, you might want to dig up a SW99 in .45 ACP and give it a try. S&W has dropped that non-labeled "AS" style config from their current catalog, opting for DAO in their SW990L, but they can still be had on the forums and for pretty darn good prices... esp when comparing them to a Kimber. Don't be put off by retail pricing on the SW99 website. They CAN be had for much much less.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm thinking the frame weight, not the caliber, may be the main contributing factor in the softness of the recoil/muzzle flip.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Well I think what you are noticing is the low pressure .45 acp and trying to compare that ignition to the very hot , high pressure ,40 cal S&W round. Like comparing apples to oranges, really -smile-

Each pistol has its own characteristic slide action and muzzle flip. You will notice that the .45 Acp appears to have a slower and as you have described " softer" recoil and action.

The .40 S&W has a very quick "snap" to its action and a very sharp recoil.

The "softness" you have pointed out is why the >45 acp has been so beloved all these years.......and makes a perfect "pin gun" for what use to be a very prevalent shooting match.

Add some Shok Buffers to this type pistol and a slightly stiffer recoil spring and the .45 Auto is truly a joy to shoot.

But I will not kick my .40 S&W P-99 out of bed just yet.........

JF.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts