Walther Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I'm looking to get either a HK USP or a Walther P99 and am needing some help. I asked this question on the HKpro site but the tread was pulled almost instantly. I like how both guns look but can't decide which one to get. Although the USP feels and looks more durable/quality(the P99 feels like a plastic toy), I really like the grip on the P99. I'm positive that the USP is a great gun and can hold up to thousands of rounds, how does the P99 hold up? I've also heard that although the P99 is just as accurate as the USP, it is not as reliable, but I'd like to hear from some of you who actually have the gun. Thanks alot for the help.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I have 15,000+ rounds thru my P99 9mm, with zero malfunctions, and only a broken slide stop spring at 10k.
USP's are nice, but no better than the P99, and definately not worth the premium that H&K sells them for.
I owned a H&K USP45f, that had around 8k rounds thru it, when the safety lever snapped off.
I've owned 2 H&K USP's, and sold both after buying the Walther P99.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Guess which one I like best and which one is for sale.
I have both and prefer my P99s.

Keepers attached

·
Registered
35 Posts
Ok Stump, I will try to be impartial. I must point out that posting a question like this at any "fan-style" web site, you are asking for trouble. Of course the guys over at HKfourms stood behind the USP, as most here will stand behind the P99. Try going to an outside source for a more "unbiased opinion".
That being said, I think the most important opinion is your own. I will give you the advice I would give anyone. Try before you buy. Always. Shoot both, and buy the one YOU like best. forget what everyone else says. It's your $$$, and it's going to be your gun. Get what you shoot well.
BTW: I like the P99. I have found the trigger on the UPS series is lacking for the amount you will pay for one. HK seems to dump alot of time and effort into it's "tactical line-up" (The MP5, the SOCOM) but it's civilian line-up is not that hot. JMHO. Also, you may want to look into the HK P2000. It looks like a carbon copy of the P99. Might be right up your alley.
Good luck with whatever your go with

·
Registered
178 Posts
Quality and reliability is not an issue with either weapon. They are both really great guns in those respects. That said, you should buy the one the feels better in your hand. Comfort is very important.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Stump

I will give you a different, and totally superfical, reason why some people choose some objects.

For me (LEO) I use a hand gun on my job as a simple tool, just like a carpenter uses the tools of his trade.

In my case I have no choice and must carry, every day, a Glock .40 which is my department regulation: period....end of story!

I know only two things about guns!  How to handle them in a 1000% safe manner, and how to shoot them with an above average degree of accuracy. That is what is called for in my profession  Period!

Do I really "know" guns like many folks here and at other gun sites do?

I know zero about guns.....and less than zero about all the levels of ammo involved with firearms!

So what is my superficial point to you about why I own the Walther P99?

It is my idea (and also it appears, that of Hollywood) that this Walther P99 is without a doubt, the ultimate in eye catching handgun design!

That is why I love this gun!

It is only a bonus for me that this gun also.....works!

Superficial?  Dumb?   You bet!

But I also want to enjoy owning of a handgun that is not only just a tool.

One that I am required to carry around every day!

Dan

·
Registered
22 Posts
I purchased a P99 .40SW when they first were offered. I had the slide locking problems. It went back a bunch of times until Walther gave me my money back and kept then pistol (often wonder were that pistol is now).

Well, I had recently found out they had discovered the problem and corrected it. I immediately went on a search for a Walther P99 .40SW. I happen to come across a guy who had a 99' Walther P99 .40SW (Interarms) and was looking to trade for a Glock 27 or Glock 30. He purchased the pistol before the new millennium. He said he had experience the slide locking and never took care of the problem. He was looking to get rid of the pistol. I had a Glock G30 that I hated and offered him a trade. He said that would be perfect and we made the trade. I immediately sent in to Smith and Wesson and had all the upgrades. They stood behind the pistol and went through the entire handgun and changed the springs and I received two new magazines. I now have a brand new 99' P99 .40SW with two boxes of ammo through it.

Why would I go back to a pistol I knew had problems?

1. They discovered the source of the problem
2. The Trigger is ingenious
3. Decocker
4. Firing pin indicator
5. Feel/Grip
6. Looks

I believe the trigger is the perfect set up for home defense and conceal carry.

There both awesome weapons. I do own a USP Tactical and use it for IDPA and Plates. I have a JPoint on it and it's suppressed. I also use the Vortex flashider and found it to be very helpful when shooting plates. Quicker recovery time. I would never use this pistol for carry or for home defense. I could just an imagine what a prosecutor would thing of that pistol. It's ugly and evil!

The problem with the Tactical is there is to much:

1. Double action first shot safety off
2. Double action first shot safety on
3. Single action safety on
4. Single action safety off
And the safety works as the decocker (made that mistake)!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the response!
Chip00-Just wondering, but what problems did you have with the Compact?

Dan-Yes, if you are superficial then so am I. No matter what I buy I want to like looking at it. That's one problem that I had with the P99. I loved the look of it except that it seemed as if there was writing all over the gun!

I've read that the guide rod seems to go out after a couple thousand rounds. What's up with that? Is it expensive to replace? Also what kind of warrranty does the Walther come with?
Thanks for the advice! Hopfully I'll be able to go rent both soon and see how they shoot.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Stump, the only problem with my H&K USPC .357SIG is the blast and the fact that I do not need the item. I do not understand the blast upon firing effect. I like my SIGs and Walther P99 in .357SIG. No problem with the blast effect. Probably not a real effect but it feels like one. Anyway I bought the H&K, as new, because someone offered me a good trade on another item I was wanting to sell. I put about 40 rounds thru it. I have three other H&K compacs in the three other calibers and like them. The .357SIG is now discontinued as I understand and thus may be a rare collectors item in time. $$$

(I doubt it.)
Looking to trade for a P99 or other Walther. P88 with cash?

·
Registered
75 Posts
PS
The serial number shown on my photo of the H&K has been subject to Paint Shop Pro and is not zero.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What about FTF or FTE? From what I've been reading the P99 would be the most economical, but they have more failures to fire/eject than the USP.

R

·
0 Posts
i just bought my old Walther P99 in 9mm back from my buddy who i sold it to about a year ago. it is still in like new shape and he said he has put about 600 rounds through it. and i put 200 rounds through it before i sold it to him and after i picked it up yesterday i put another 200 through it. he said never and problems to feed or extract and i never had any problems with it. also i have 3 HKs two in 9mm and one in .45 and i have never had any problems with either of them. they are both great guns, its whatever one feels better in your hand. the Walther has a little more muzzle flip than the HK. but both are quality guns, no doubt.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Make no mistake that the USP is an excellent pistol. HK just wants too much money for them.

I owned a USP Compact in .40 caliber and got rid of it. It was a superb handgun, but I hated the .40 round and the trigger on it was less than stellar.

I replaced it with a Sig P239 which is more compact and is actually more accurate thanks to a better trigger.

I bought a P99 as a gift for a friend, but after shooting it at the range I liked it so much that I kept it and bought him something else.

The P99 is an excellent handgun and is certainly not a toy. I am #### picky about what I will carry to potentially save my neck...

I would advise you to buy whichever pistol you can find cheaper. Occasionally you can find a used USP real cheap. But new the Walther P99 is much cheaper than the USP and is still a superb firearm. It is accurate, reliable, durable, and hicaps are out there though they are expensive.

The only things I would change on the P99 is 1. Rail that could accept a standard light mount, not that proprietary system. 2. Tackier grip. From the factory the grip needs a little more bite for my tastes. Skateboard tape fixes this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
stump,
they are both high quality, accurate firearms. I'd buy the one that fits best in your hand, it will be more accurate and that's what 's important.
wait a minute, that *is* what i did, i bought the one that fit best.

spenny

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I agree with the others about buying what fits, what you shoot best, and what you like.

I've come full circle after having a cabinet full of Walthers, trading or selling several of them off, buying from the Sig and HK line and eventually selling them off and returning to an all Walther gun cabinet.

I've had the Tactical, the USP9, and the USP45. All were excellent handguns and never gave me any problems. They were all 100% reliable. Unfortunately, as much as I liked them, I did not shoot them well because their grip design did not fit my hand. My only other beef was with the trigger system, except on the Tactical model.

The SIG-Sauer line was also another excellent product of Germany. Now U.S./German built. I've owned the P220, P225, P228, and. I wasn't able to do much better with this line either except for the P220 and P225. I also do not care for a stamped and rolled sheet metal slide with a pinned breech block.

The P99, P5 (P1/.38/4 etc), and P88 fit my hand much better than the USP or SIG series ever did, and the targets show that. I'm glad they do, because as I suspected, the Walther line is the one I really liked to begin with.

Oh, and by the way, many folks at HK Pro do not think that any one else builds firearms. And I used to think that I was a gun snob. I can't hold a candle to most of those folks.

R

·
0 Posts
Herr Walther, you said-
"Oh, and by the way, many folks at HK Pro do not think that any one else builds firearms. And I used to think that I was a gun snob. I can't hold a candle to most of those folks."

i totally agree with you. i own 2 USPs, and my dad owns one and they are ridiculous on that forum. they honestly make me dislike my HK pistols. i was wondering if HK owned or ran that website. i never checked, if so that would probably explain it. i posted some high cap mags on there for sale and the moderator deleted my post without even notifying because i out USP 45 high caps for sale. idid realize you only could sell 9mm and .40sw high caps on their forum. it doesnt make any sense. anyways i am probably going to piss some people off with this post. oh well!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the info guys! I like both guns, but the P99 just balances perfectly. If I relax my grip, it stays right on my finger, where the USP falls forward. I would assume that the extra forward weight on the HK would help with recoil, but right now I'm leaning towards the Walther. Hopefully I'll be able to shoot both this week.

The main thing I hate about HKpro is that if you even mention another brand of firearm the tread is pulled. I hate that soooooo much.

·
Registered
32 Posts
local shooter asked our IDPA group about his USPc 40. Seemed that he wasn't very accurate with it and was thinking about sending it to a gunsmith. Long story short I put 10 rounds thru it to see what I could do (pistol was fine). I'm not crazy about it's trigger feel. My group was almost as good as what I can do with my p99 or high power, and would probably improve if I could spend more time with it. Another shooter (very accomplished shot) didn't like the way it recoiled in his hand (his pistols of choice are a vertec and G26 :p )

Another observation the group put out .... We can't think of any major winners using the USP.

On the positive side, I almost bought one 2 yrs back because of the excellent ergonomics and reputation. I'm sure I would have smoothed the trigger out by now, and would have learned to love it. But why when the p99 is so good out of the box.

I know this is a Walther forum, but if I didn't think more highly of the p99 I'd tell you straight up!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts