Walther Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm seriously thinking of trading in my P99 9mm for one of the newer 2004/AE models. Does anybody know how much they go for these days? Mine is an older generation model of course with an AD date code. I've sanded down the trigger guard bump, and it has a scratch on the right side across the slide serrations as seen in the picture below, but it's in otherwise great condition (only shot it 700 rounds) and has worked flawlessly with all of the ammo I've put through it (115grain on up to 124 grain +P). This is not an official for sale thing since I'm not 100% set on it (plus it'd be in the for sale section), just curious what I can expect for a trade in value or just plain selling it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Trading in a gun is always a losing proposition. In my area a Mint P99 is only worth between $250-$300 depending on which gun shop. Your best bet is to sell it yourself. It would be worth around $450 in my area. You may have a difficult time selling it with the sanded down trigger guard. I understand that it is probably much more comfortable with the sanded trigger guard but for the most part people don't like "home customized" guns. That may hurt the value.

Of course since there are several trigger options and finish options for the P99. If I were you I would keep the current P99 and just buy a new one that is different from your current one. Try a .40 with the QA trigger just to mix things up a bit. I have a couple of P99's,an all black in 9mm and a Military in .40. Now I'm saving up for a new style 9mm QA.

You can never have too many P99's

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
I agree with hk-sigman's comments regarding trade-ins.  Gun stores will kill you on trade-ins.  Also there is some merit to thinking about keeping the gun, thereby adding to your collection...  I know many people who have a few different variations of their favorite pistols and revolvers.  -One of the guys I know has ten or eleven different 1911's and they're all shooters...

That said, the customization of the gun (filing down the "trigger guard bump") will work against you in the general market.  When people grade the gun, the scratch will count against you, but nowhere near the permanent alteration of the frame.  I'd expect the price in a private sale to be closer to $400 unless you find someone who would appreciate (or doesn't care about) your handiwork.  -Such people do exist.  It just can take time for them to find your gun.  

If you're really interested in the new 2004 model, what I'd suggest is that you buy the new version without selling your modified pistol.  Try it out and see if you like it any more than what you currently have.  -After that you can decide which gun to sell, if either.  The reason I suggest this is that you don't want to sell a gun you like to get a different gun only to realize that you might want the old one back.  -Just a thought.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts