Walther Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a good deal online on a used P99c and bought it. I'm still a novice with firearms, first gun was a PPQ a little while back.

It's the first time I purchase a used firearm and was a bit nervous about it. Still went ahead with the purchase since my ppq has been flawless and the P99 has a reputation for being just as reliable.

I have read a lot about the P99c here and on other websites. The gun arrived today. I inspected it as best as my knowledge permits, broke it down, put it together and everything looked okay to me. From there straight to the range where I shot 200-250 rounds with ot without a hiccup.

The frame looks like it has some stippling (I believe that is the proper term), since it looks different from the online pictures I've seen. It came with a 15 round mag with extension, two 10 rnd mags with pinky rest and a flush 10 round mag. Original plastic box, target also included.

I plan on getting my concealed license and to carry the P99c. Given this, though the gun seems to be in perfect working order I cannot be sure of it due to my limited experience.

Are there any parts I should replace, given I do not know the round count of the gun?

I live in the DFW area, any reputable gunsmith or shops in the area that work on walthers?

Any recommendations for where to take the concealed carry course in my area or training in general?

I know some of these questions have been brought up in other threads but most threads are from a while back and some of the info just went over my head when I read it.

So any advice would be welcome.

Ps. I will post pictures during the week so some of the more knowledgeable members can chime in on the grip stippling or any other things they might notice from the pictures.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Congrats on a great gun and joining the responsible gun owning and carrying crowd. These are all positive life decisions that will make you a better human and citizen. You'll find your mindset improves, your awareness improves, etc.

The PPQ and P99 are top tier handguns and you've chosen very wisely. You obviously seek out and follow good advice.

To answer your questions, I can only really comment on some and nothing locally. Just general information.

If the gun works well, I would not replace anything. Buying extra parts might be wise considering it's now out of production. It's a good idea to set back spare parts. Stock up on magazines and ammunition. Try the gun with a variety of hollow points and full metal jackets to ensure it functions well with all, and take notes of any issues which may need to be addressed.

For education, just be a sponge and learn and read and watch training videos as much as possible. Seek out some professional training as you locate it. There's a lot of national instructors and probably some local ones in DFW.

For holsters, don't skimp and buy cheap nylon generic ones. Most gun owners have a box of garbage holsters. Go right for the excellent ones and prepare to spend $50-150 on one. I recommend strong side inside the waist band (IWB) and recommend against abdomen carry (often called AIWB) and small of back (SOB). Cross draw, shoulder carry, and ankle carry are niche ways of carrying for specific reasons but are not ideal.

Decide if you want to get a carry light for your pistol. Probably a good idea but not necessary. Olight makes remarkably great lights for under $100. I suggest doing this before buying a holster so you can get the correct holster that accommodates a light. Otherwise you'll be needing two holsters (one for and one without).

I'll reiterate and cannot stress enough, buy ammo, mags, and get some training and take to heart the rules of gun safety.

Have fun, be safe, and good luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@leadcounsel

Thanks for your reply. I had not thought about mags. I look into that. A plus is that mags are swappable between the walthers I have.

I have been researching holsters for some time now. I think i have it narrowed to 2-3 brands. Vedder seems to have good feedback from forum members here and online in general. Im also considering Stealthgear ventcore and clinger. Stealthgear does not have the P99 compact on their website but I did read on the forum that if contacted they will make one.

I was also interested in getting speedsights after reading the thread here on them and other online reviews.

In regards to ammo, I will try to run different brands through the gun like I did on my ppq.

Gunlight I will wait on for now, but what extra parts should I stock before they become scarce?

Please any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The majority of pistols get shot far less than many folks should be concerned about. As long as there are no signs of “Bubba the home gunsmith” doing anything crazy to the Walther, it is likely stock, and my bet would be it has a round count under 2k rounds. (Just based on the majority of pistols I see in the used case at gun shops. It seems people buy something new, get excited, run several boxes through a handgun, then they move on to something else. The previous pistol collects dust, then gets traded.)

Some groups of folks in the handgun community are the exception to this rule. They research, they rent guns, borrow one from a friend, choose a platform they want to carry and then they run the pizz out of it. A 2,000 round count is a break-in for some in this group. Pistols that these folks have usually get kept. If they do put one up used, it will look like a veteran pistol, with holster wear, and maybe shiny new spring, because they have replaced them more than once.

The P99 was designed as a service/duty pistol. Not much to worry about in the first few thousand rounds.

For carry, about the only things I would do to the P99 is make sure the grip actually has traction, and get sights that are highly visible. I like a bright front sight, and a rear sight that offers minimal distraction. Add a light if you want. Get a good holster, practice a lot and you are set.

·
Premium Member
8,655 Posts
Your grip was stippled and it looks like the previous owner mounted Triji night sights on that P99c. You lucked into a great weapon.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your grip was stippled and it looks like the previous owner mounted Triji night sights on that P99c. You lucked into a great weapon.

Thanks for the info.

While reading up on holsters here, I saw a photo you uploaded of a owb cross draw carry method. I hadn't really considered a cross draw holster. Any particular reason you favor that setup? Any iwb cross draw holster that you would recommend?

·
Premium Member
8,655 Posts
Great question R.C.
I am a lefty. Over the course of many years I have found that a cross draw system affords me a better draw stroke especially while driving. This was my primary reason for going to a cross draw but I found so many other reasons to like it.

It conceals well and affords me a fast consistently repeatable drawstoke and reholster. It is comfortable when sitting and even when I'm doing my two mile runs.

I prefer holsters from Wright Leather Works. They are a custom shop and you will wait for your order but their products are well worth it. I use their Regulators for Cross draw carry.
https://www.wrightleatherworks.com/collections/all-products/products/regulator-cross-draw-holster

I get the lined(master) series. All their holsters stand up to real EDC abuse. These are sturdy holsters that made to be used.

By the way Brandon at Wright is a great guy to work with.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Looks to me like a solid pistol that was likely carried a bit, judging by some of the finish wear on edges of the slide and sights. Doesn’t look like it got shot too much, looking inside the slide, where the barrel hood would rub.

Not sure from the pictures if the grip is actually stippled or just has an adhesive grip wrap applied and cut only for the front strap and sides.

Whoever owned it before put some thought into it as a carry piece with the sight and grip improvements.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
You can't go wrong with the P99C AS. We had truckloads of them a year or so ago. The 9s sold like hotcakes at $329. Not one has come back in for trade. If they do they'll sell for over $400. You can't say that about too many modern pistols.

I typically carry OWB in a DeSantis Speed Scabbard. The rare times I need to tuck in my shirt I use a Clinger Atom and am quite fond of it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
You can't go wrong with the P99C AS. We had truckloads of them a year or so ago. The 9s sold like hotcakes at $329. Not one has come back in for trade. If they do they'll sell for over $400. You can't say that about too many modern pistols.

I typically carry OWB in a DeSantis Speed Scabbard. The rare times I need to tuck in my shirt I use a Clinger Atom and am quite fond of it.
I wish I would have picked one up . All I see are .40's today !

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Oh, you can get one, but no longer at Jimbo’s price ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@Olsoul.
Thanks for your thorough response. I will definitely be spending the next few weeks obsessing and researching holsters. Just like the gun purchase, I am in no hurry. It will also give me time to find a good place to get some training here in the DFW area.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I wish I would have caught that. Unfortunately by the time i had decided to purchase something smaller than my PPQ and decided that the P99c fit the bill, they had been discontinued.

The prices that they are selling now, used, was a bit more than I was willing to pay at the moment. I'm just glad I found this one at a decent price and that it is in good condition. The fact that it has a few extras like the sights and extra mag is a welcome surprise.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm not normally a fan of stippling but yours was done pretty well. You've got yourself a great carry pistol.
Thanks!

One of the main gripes I read on this gun was the grip. I have to say, whatever was done to it works. It has a bit of a rubbery feel to it. Nothing major that would snag on clothing but easy to hold.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts