Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a '74' model Interarms import PPK\S (made in W Germany) that looks to be in very good condition.  Question, did this model come with a glossy black finish?  I have a '72' model PP that has a flat black finish.  Just wondering if this gun has been refinished or not - the price is right if it hasn't been.  The white line on the rear sight has either worn away or been covered over, and the red dot on the frame, decocker\fire indicator, has worn away or been covered over.  Difficult to tell; I kind of think it has been refinished, but maybe not.
Thanks in advance for any insight,
Benny

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
German ppk/s's sould have a glossy dark plum color finish in that time range. If the paint is missing from the sight and safety as you said then I am sure it was stripped and re-finished by someone else. Hope this helps, good luck.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, banddr2. Guess I won't buy it; for $100 more I can get a new S&W version that doesn't have a few thousand (I'm guessing) rounds through it.

·
Registered
713 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (BennyMA @ July 24 2006,12:32)]Thanks for the info, banddr2.  Guess I won't buy it; for $100 more I can get a new S&W version that doesn't have a few thousand (I'm guessing) rounds through it.
I would take the German Interarms any day over the S&W Its a better pistol a few springs Recoil ,hammer ,and mags and you should have a fine pistol Who cares if refinish Is this a collectors gun or a carry gun. If carry I'd trust older for sure. Also won't have that tang poking you if you carry or hurting you hand shooting. Draw back you probably won't be able to shave with the slide on the older pistol. So shave before you go shooting.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I agree with Michael if your buying it to shoot and not collect.  The Geman mfg guns shoot better and feel better, if the finish is attractive, go for it.  Even if 1000's of rounds went through it, will probably perform better than a S&W mfg (oops, did I say that?).

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll be a shooter - Walther day at the range, PP, PPK, and PPK\S all attending. The finish is very attractive, 97 or 98%, and the machine work on the slide and inside the frame is jewel like. Everything seems to fit together perfectly. But, the barrel has about 9 or 10 times the wear on the outside of it (I think it's called a "smile" - looks like recoil spring chaffing - only on the top of the barrel ) as my '72' .32 PP that I have put 700 rounds through (who knows what the total count is?). Still worth $399?

·
Registered
713 Posts
Like I said a new recoil spring 20lb,hammer spring,(I use 16lb) and mag springs All can be had from Wolff springs.. A good tiny pointy paint brush and some red paint and what ever color you want for sights. I have always put a lite coat of oil on my barrels. Don't know if helps but makes me feel good. Yes 399 is a good price.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great, thanks for the advice, much appreciated. I'm going to stop by and take one final look tonight.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
FYI, you should be able to get a new (S&W) ppk/s for that price I'd think. That's about what I paid for mine. The sharp edges I took care of easily, no complaints about anything else. Best of luck either way.

·
Registered
713 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (MLB @ July 26 2006,7:02)]FYI, you should be able to get a new (S&W) ppk/s for that price I'd think.  That's about what I paid for mine.  The sharp edges I took care of easily, no complaints about anything else.  Best of luck either way.
You a couple of price increases behind Cheapest in my area now $480 and most $500 + a little.. Earlier this year my dealer was selling for $430 now he at 480. He always lowest in area on 90% of his guns.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts