Walther Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I've been on the P22 sub forum for a bit, but I'm looking into getting a used first gen P99. (I live in the Communist state of CA, so finding a newer AS is hard) I've read that there's issues with the "sear block" cracking and breaking thus rendering the firearm useless. Is there anything I should be on the look out for when I teardown and inspect? Obviously wear and tear is gonna be prominent unless it was a "safe queen", but I'm looking for the main issues these first gens had.

Any information would be greatly appreciated thanks!

~RussianBear365

·
Registered
63 Posts
.40 cals do get more wear on them than the 9's but you can be confident that all versions of the P99 are fairly robust. If you're dealing with an honest broker I would buy with confidence.

Definitely judge the overall condition of the pistol and then depending on that decide if more scrutiny is needed. I wouldn't worry about honest wear but if it looks like it's been through hell and back and the price doesn't reflect that - walk away.

Hopefully safely dry fire the pistol in all 3 fire modes (DA, AS and 'short reset' by cocking the slide without releasing the trigger after your initial pull)

A first gen at this point is going to probably be close to 20 years old (or even older). I've heard a few reports of folks with P99's that have found their backstraps became brittle. Some have reported them breaking or even crumbling entirely. I'm not sure it's widespread, but something to look at.

I'm not sure the P99 in 40 cal is still in production (and of course 1st editions aren't, but I believe the parts are generally interchangeable). I couldn't find any retailers with a new one in stock using a gundeals search. It may just be done in limited runs. I can't speak to parts availability at Walther so I would give them a ring and just ask if they still support the pistol for repairs - just in case anything crops up that you may overlook.

Irregardless of warranty repairs, you can frequently find parts kits for sale. Of course finding a local gunsmith who knows how to work on Walthers may be more difficult :eek:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@An Angry Hippo Thanks for the response. I know you responded a long time ago, and I didn't ignore you. Looked over the gun at the shop, paid the seller. Paid the Shop owner for PPT & DROS. Waited 18 Days, and got my P99.

The seller was a tad bit "shady" and was hesitant to let me field strip, did it anyways. Not a very well treated handgun. Looked like it was fire a bunch with lack of lubrication. As well as looks like it hasn't been cleaned in months. No rust. Metal flakes. Negotiated the price down dramatically. (This being California, and the "Off Handgun Roster Premium" being a thing)

Brought it home today and 100% stripped it. Cleaned everything up. Lubed everything. I cannot wait to take it to the range this weekend (that is if I can find .40 S&W anywhere close).

Anyways. Thank you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I misread their warranty. I regret buying the FCA now, as that's probably the most expensive part I just purchased 🤣. I thought it was guns older than 2004 weren't covered. Turns out is '94. Well thanks for the heads up!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts