Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a ready-reference link for keeping track of the USA's handgun laws from state to state:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

It's an especially good resource for folks who are traveling between states and are wondering whether the one you are heading toward honors your state's concealed carry permit.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
What I find odd is this map does not coincide with the map published by the Kentucky State Police for our permit holders.

http://www.kentuckystatepolice.org/conceal.htm#recip
I don't know if it means anything or not, but in the fine print below the Kentucky State Police map, you find this..

This reciprocity list is updated periodically as responses are received from the states and territories. It was last updated on 12/16/09

The last time it was updated was almost a year ago. Any chance that something could have changed in another state since then?

At the same time, I have no idea how current the map is at Handgunlaw.us

Best advice on reciprocity is to check with the state you plan to visit before you travel.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for leaving this here as a sticky. Sure wish that the states would use some common sense and clean this whole thing up! My concealed carry permit in Maine doesn't get me far, since reciprocity offered by Maine stinks.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Thanks for leaving this here as a sticky. Sure wish that the states would use some common sense and clean this whole thing up! My concealed carry permit in Maine doesn't get me far, since reciprocity offered by Maine stinks.
You can come visit us and bring your gun with you.

Tennessee now recognizes a facially valid handgun permit, firearms permit, weapons permit, or a license issued by another state according to its terms, and will, therefore, authorize the holder of such out-of-state permit or license to carry a handgun only in the state of Tennessee.

http://www.tennessee.gov/safety/handgun/reciprocity.htm

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
You could purchase a Utah or Florida permit which will give your reciprocity in 34 or 32 states respectively.

·
Premium Member
6,227 Posts
That is unless you live in Nazichusetts. This state does not accept any other concealed carry permits. If you come into this state with a handgun and don't have a Massachusetts Class A License to Carry, you're facing a mandatory minimum 1 year in jail.

If you want to get one, you must first be a resident of the state for at least six months. Then this is what you have to go through in order to be legal to carry here (copied from another forum post):

1) First attend either a hunters' safety course or a course specifically designated to the laws and factors involved with firearms and their carry. (Hunters' safety course - $160.00, firearms course $60.00 and up) And only state-approved courses apply. I handed the policeman a copy of my military documents, which showed my training in weapons as well as my achievement as a small-arms expert marksman and the ribbon I earned and he said, "Doesn't count."

No... military training in weapons does not qualify for the right to carry arms in Unrealistachusetts.

2) Go to the local police department in your town and apply for a Class A License to Carry. The fee is $100.00 (non-refundable, even if denied). You are full-hand fingerprinted (both hands), your photo is taken, and you must hold an interview with the policeman who conducts it. He'll ask you a series of random questions which must be answered to his liking. IF you pass this first step, your information is submitted to the Colonel of the State Police in the county in which you happen to reside. A thorough check of your criminal history then takes place, which takes weeks.

3) The waiting game begins. Ranging from anywhere to two months later (that's what mine took to arrive) to 18 months, you may or may not receive your Class A LTC in the mail. The state has, at it's whim, the "random discretion" to impose limitations on your license. These can range from "travel to and from hunting/shooting range ONLY" to "target practice ONLY." Violate any of these stipulations and you face a mandatory minimum one year in state prison.

4) Of course, these limitations are at the "discretion" of the Colonel of the State Police, who "shall issue a Class A license to carry to anyone who legally demonstrates a rational cause to carry a firearm." In short, you have to do your homework first. During your initial interview with the policeman at your local police department, he'll ask you a question which MUST be answered "correctly".

"Why do you want to carry a firearm?" The answer is a four-word reply. And nothing else.

"For all legal purposes." Say those words, and they cannot deny you. Say anything else and you can expect limitations to be placed on your license if you even get it at all.

5) Absolutely ZERO criminal record. And I mean ZERO! No speeding tickets, no at-fault traffic accidents, no getting caught with a bag of grass, no nothing. Even a parking ticket or late library books can potentially disqualify you.

6) That's it! If the whim of the state and the cosmos apply, you can get yourself a Class A License to Carry Firearms! Oh, mind you there's a Class B, Class C, and a Firearms Identification Card for those who don't choose to exercise their constitutional rights. These let you carry trigger-locked guns in your trunk (with the ammo stored in a separately locked container not in the same area as the weapon), and so on...

It's disgusting what I had to go through. At least I don't live in New York though. Their gun laws and the right to carry are absolutely unconstitutional.

-Pilotsteve, reminding us that it's the Second Amendment which makes all of the others possible.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts