Walther Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not at all familiar with the new PDP. I've got a chance to scoop one up for only $550.

Can someone give me the 411 on the gun, any issues, quality, reliability, is it a peer with the much loved P99?

I don't like to be a beta-tester, so I'd like the real scoop on this gun.

Thanks.

·
Registered
106 Posts
There are plenty of reviews on this forum and on the web. Take a little time, do a search and read what others have said about the PDP. The information you seek is already out there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have never owned a P99 but did own a PPQ M1. I just upgraded to the PDP. It basically fixes almost every minor complaint with the PPQ. I loved my PPQ and like the PDP even more. The only thing that could be a slight negative is it does have a thicker slide overall due to the improved serrations. But, it also fits red dots better because of the thicker slide. I personally don't mind it at all as the PDP is my home defense gun. I don't know much about the P99 but compared to the PPQ...the PDP trigger is ever so slightly better. The grip texture is much better. You get to keep the sights to co-witness with a red dot should you get one. Honestly...it's one of the best striker fired handguns out there IMO. You really can't go wrong with it.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Have your cake and eat it: buy a PDP upper and P99 striker assembly and toss it on your P99. Now you have the perfect Walther pistol (paddle release, BETTER single action, red dot capability, DA first shot.) You can always retrofit the P99 frame to accept ambi slide stops and get it stippled for better texturing.

While I admire Walther for addressing PPQ issues by releasing the PDP, the P99 is still king.

·
Super Moderator
14,419 Posts
I'm not at all familiar with the new PDP. I've got a chance to scoop one up for only $550.

Can someone give me the 411 on the gun, any issues, quality, reliability, is it a peer with the much loved P99?

Thanks.
The PDP is a pistol in the same family as the P99/PPQ. The PDP simply provides some upgrades to the PPQ. The two most noticable changes/upgrades is the improved and excellent texturing on the grip and the redesigned exterior of the slide, incorporating deeper slide cuts and a square-ish profile.

Another difference is the change in the cuts for sights.....the PDP slide is designed to use Glock sights, front and rear...which means, there is a plethora of sights available to fit the PDP.

The only thing I'm waiting on is a 'duty' holster from Safariland....specifically an RDS model. At the moment, I'm using a Dara duty holster made for a PPQ 4" with an optic to carry my Franken PDP frame with PPQ slide and Shield RMS. The PDP frame, PPQ slide combo will work in most of my Safariland 6360 holsters, so that's the reason I'm carrying the hybrid combo. As soon as Safariland comes out with and RDS holster for the PDP, I'll be ordering one.

BTW, the 'compact' model can use PPQ M2 15/17 round mags. The 'fullsize' requires Walther 18 round mags, but some people are using Canik 18/20 rounders in their fullsize...and me....well, as usual, I'm using some modified 18 and 20 rounders. 😂

So, $550 sounds like a decent price right now.....if you're at all interested in the PDP, well, scoop it up.

·
Registered
73 Posts
$550 is a solid deal. You’d likely be able to get your money back at that price if you didn’t like it. But you will

·
Registered
9 Posts
Have your cake and eat it: buy a PDP upper and P99 striker assembly and toss it on your P99. Now you have the perfect Walther pistol (paddle release, BETTER single action, red dot capability, DA first shot.) You can always retrofit the P99 frame to accept ambi slide stops and get it stippled for better texturing.

While I admire Walther for addressing PPQ issues by releasing the PDP, the P99 is still king.
THIS…. right here is why all of a sudden people are looking for P99’s. I was in a gun shop the other day when someone was asking about trying to get a used P99, and wondered why. This is not the first time I have seen this posted, and now I am certainly interested in seeing if I myself can find a P99 to modify.

·
Registered
238 Posts

I'm just a bit confused. How do you put a P99 with a PDP slide into DA firing mode? Isn't the decocker absent on the PDP? Won't the pistol go into the Anti-Stress SA mode as soon as you chamber a round?

Curious because an optics ready P99 sounds like my kind of jam but I'm not sure I'd see the point in it if the pistol can't be used in DA mode.

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you don't like it:

30 DAY MONEY BACK GUARANTEE!

Walther understands this and that is why we’re offering a full 30-day money back guarantee on all new Walther handgun models. We encourage you to shoot it as much as you want for 30-days then decide if it is right for you.

Whether you buy it from your local gun shop or your favorite online retailer you can do so with the confidence that you can return it within 30-days for a full refund + tax. (Refund will not exceed MSRP shown on waltherarms.com)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Insert Click Bait title:
Not for public knowledge.
WOW! I just tried your one weird trick for the P99 and it seemed to work.

Not quite willing to try it with a live round in the chamber just yet. Might do some practice at the range to build confidence (and always follow the rules and make sure the gun is pointed in a safe direction).

Uhh... just to confirm... with the barrel unlocked it ought to be physically impossible to ignite a round... right... right?

The corollary to this being that if the barrel isn't unlocked you're going to put a round through the floor/wall/whatever you're pointing at?

·
Registered
518 Posts
WOW! I just tried your one weird trick for the P99 and it seemed to work.

Not quite willing to try it with a live round in the chamber just yet. Might do some practice at the range to build confidence (and always follow the rules and make sure the gun is pointed in a safe direction).

Uhh... just to confirm... with the barrel unlocked it ought to be physically impossible to ignite a round... right... right?

The corollary to this being that if the barrel isn't unlocked you're going to put a round through the floor/wall/whatever you're pointing at?
Yes to all your statements. If you practice this enough your fingers and hands definitely feel where things engage and disengage.

Practice safely 👍

·
Super Moderator
14,419 Posts
Look, there's way more to this than locking/unlocking the barrel. The secret is actually in an understanding of the fire control system....trigger bar/single action lever/single action sear and striker......and how all this exactly works. If you don't understand all the relationships and how they work, then don't try this. One f-up is all it takes.....and you don't really want to be that guy.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Good call on the edits. Seems like a very risky proposition if not done properly.

That said, as soon a PDP sub-compact with a 3.5 inch barrel/slide comes out I'm throwing some optics on my P99C.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
Back to the original topic. The PDP is an outstanding gun. I didn't think they could improve on the PPQ trigger, but they did. Yes I love my P99's, and my PPQ's. I know everything will swap, but I'm not going to. Yes the PDP is an outstanding firearm with an outstanding trigger and great balance. You won't regret it.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all the input. I decided to pass on it and it probably immediately sold, anyhow. Cheers.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Thanks.
Go get it and enjoy....that's a great price on the PDP. Smooth like glass!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts