Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put the PPQ grip on it. No doubt the PPQ is one of Walthers most popular pistols so let's up date the P 99!

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
If Walther updates the P99, it'll probably look a lot like the P99Q. Which coincidentally, predates the PPQ as we know it.

Then again, they may leave it alone as it's the duty gun for many a law enforcement agency around the world. Who knows.

Best believe that if they do redesign, it'll have the button and not the paddle.

Oldfart "subcontracted" his own P99M2 awhile back. Button release, QM2 frame, AS trigger setup, etc.

That's likely what Walther would give us. Pass. I'm not a fan of the AS trigger to justify buying one.

The emphasis is smaller guns for CC anyway...the CCP is where Walther is putting it's focus...guns of that nature. Smaller, easier to rack. Cheaper to make.

from a car forum, from years ago; Fast. Cheap. Reliable. But you can pick only two..
Applies to guns just as equally. YMMV.

·
Registered
342 Posts
The way I see it, the grip is the easiest thing on a pistol to change besides the sights, so I'm not sure how big a deal an update would be. I'll admit I'm biased, since I don't like the PPQ's grip texture any more than the P99's and would stipple it just the same as my P99s. But considering that A) stippling and grip tape solutions are an option, and B) the P99 already fits PPQ holsters and takes PPQ mags, I'm not sure how necessary an update is.

·
Premium Member
1,475 Posts
As much as I like the P99, I find the grip to be too slick. The PPQ is better in that regard but it too could benefit from rougher texturing.

I know they can be stippled and there are people out there that are really good at it, but I'd rather the factoring just get it "righter" in the first place.

·
Registered
342 Posts
As much as I like the P99, I find the grip to be too slick. The PPQ is better in that regard but it too could benefit from rougher texturing.

I know they can be stippled and there are people out there that are really good at it, but I'd rather the factoring just get it "righter" in the first place.
I agree. Unfortunately, it seems you and I are in a minority. The only polymer gun I think I could live with the stock texture of is an M&P 2.0. Anything else would be getting the sand paper and wood burner treatment from me.

·
Premium Member
1,475 Posts
I agree. Unfortunately, it seems you and I are in a minority. The only polymer gun I think I could live with the stock texture of is an M&P 2.0. Anything else would be getting the sand paper and wood burner treatment from me.
I almost mentioned the M&P 2.0 as a pistol that got it right.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Unless they keep the paddle, I'll pass. My P99/99c are my EDC and I have no issues with the grips. Walther decided a long time ago to do away with the decocker as the PPQ is essentially the P99 without t he decocker and with updates on the grip and a major change to the trigger. I can't see them reintroducing the decocker, and that too would be a deal breaker for me (hence no PPQs owned by me).

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
I have been waiting years for them to do this. They have done it in Europe, but not available here, unfortunately
Really? I wasn't aware that there was a redesigned P99 for the Euro markets?

You don't mean the P99Q, do you? That was a specialty gun with German military specifications as to trigger pull, weight, etc.

When it didn't pan out as intended, Walther changed the trigger and named it PPQ and sent it to us in 2011 ;)

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Really? I wasn't aware that there was a redesigned P99 for the Euro markets?

You don't mean the P99Q, do you? That was a specialty gun with German military specifications as to trigger pull, weight, etc.

When it didn't pan out as intended, Walther changed the trigger and named it PPQ and sent it to us in 2011 ;)
Honestly - I remember seeing something several years ago. When you've been on this forum as long as I have - I've seen a lot of conversations. This topic comes up a lot, and people have posted details and old photos in past threads.

It may have been sold to a specific police force in Europe, but at some point, somewhere in Europe, there was update to what is essentially a P99 with the new grip. That is all I remember

1 - 20 of 41 Posts