Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay Guys, first of all, I an NOT a Walther collector. Just a guy with a gun and some questions.
I bought a 7.65mm PP from a prominent gun auction site and am generally pleased with my purchase. I assume it to be one of the police turn in PP's that are so plentiful on the market right now. The first thing I noticed is that the slide markings contain no address (Ulm/Do or Zella-Mehlis). Otherwise, they appear just like the markings on most other PP's. There is no sign of these markings having been removed. They simply aren't there. The trigger is smooth faced like the earlier pistols, but the barrel has a 76 antler stamp. The pistol appears to have been arsenal reblued and the serial number on the frame was polished almost into oblivion. It was restamped on the bottom of the frame, near the butt, by the importer. From what little remains of the polished off number, it seems to match the original number on the slide. The serial number is 994043 with no letter prefix or suffix. It has Eagle N proofs on the barrel and slide. Can anyone enlighten me on what, exactly I have. It functions smoothly and shoots very well. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
1,601 Posts
It seems to be a gun originally made in Zella-Mehlis in the second half of the Thirties but factory reworked and re-proofed in Ulm in 1976. I have seen similar guns before, but all were re-proofed in the Sixties and not as late as yours.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. That's kinda what I suspected, but with a serial number that high, I wasn't sure. I really appreciate your help.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hello, Balogh is right: factory rework in Ulm in 1976 with a new slide - hence no place name, as production took place in Z.M., and eagle/N proof on the slide. Obviously the barrel was replaced, too - hence the eagle/N proof on the barrel.
Enjoy!
Dieter.

·
Premium Member
1,601 Posts
Obviously the barrel was replaced, too - hence the eagle/N proof on the barrel.
Can we really be sure? Isn't it also possible that the thread opener doesn't distinguish between barell and barell hood? After all, he wrote about the proofhouse marking to be present on the barrel which seems to be very unlikely.

@Sandspur6: A detailed picture of the right side of the whole gun and if possible a picture showing the proof on the barell would clarify things.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, the barrel hood, then. Anyway, the part that you can see through the ejection port has the 76 antler stamp.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyway, I really appreciate everyone sharing their expertise. I knew this was the right place to come for help. Thank you both.

·
Premium Member
1,601 Posts
Okay, the barrel hood, then. Anyway, the part that you can see through the ejection port has the 76 antler stamp.
Yes, it's the barrel hood that can be seen through the ejection port. It's part of the frame and will remain there even if the barrel is removed. Can you locate the proof mark on the barrel itself? It should be found near the muzzle.

It is always surprising how economical Walther was with the parts then. What still worked, was also used further. The grip plates are post-war however, probably most because of aesthetic reasons.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts