Walther Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several months ago I noticed one of the guys working at a local gun shop had a P99 holstered in what I can only describe as a "horizontal, small-of-the-back holster." It fit to his belt right in the middle of his back(not a IWB), the muzzle pointed sideways/slide parallel to the ground, and the grip was sticking straight up towards his head.

I usually conceal carry in the small of my back, so this particular holster looked like it might be worth a try - it looked more comfortable, more accessible/easier to smoothly draw from, and possibly more concealable (the guy at the store had his shirt tucked in and wasn't trying to conceal).

Anyways, is anyone familiar with this type of holster? Is there a universal name for it? Any comments or thoughts on this holster?

·
Registered
16 Posts
W/O meaning to be sarcastic, it might have been easier to ask the guy wearing it for details... :confused:

But you probably already knew that. :D

It's hard to offer specifics. On one hand, I've seen several holsters that, somewhat, sound like what you've described.

OTOH, I've read warnings from some really well respected holster makers advising against SOB (small-of-back) holsters due to the possibility of spinal damage if you happen to fall on your back. :eek:

My best guess would be Galco... Years ago I bought a SOB holster for a Sig from them, it sounds like what you're describing, FWIW.

·
Patron
212 Posts
I think it's Galco also that has a holster for use when driving a car. It carries the pistol/revolver in an almost horizontal position as compared to a SOB holster that's at about a 30º angle. I wonder if it could be that type but worn upside down.

I'm trying to be imaginative...... ;)

·
Registered
174 Posts
My guess would be that it is a Fobus Roto-Holster. It can be turned 360 degrees and can orient a weapon exactly as you described.....

·
Registered
346 Posts
I saw a picture of one like that and found it again: Cheaper Than Dirt; Cow Town Leather, Fort Worth, TX. CTD doesn't list any Walthers though. I did wonder myself having seen that picture.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the feedback... I'll have to check out the roto-holster and see if it fits the bill. Actually, I think I will do what that rudely sarcastic poster above eluded to and try to find the guy at the gun store and ask him (just kidding Brian!). The only reason I hadn't done so is that, even though I consider it local, it is a 45 min drive over and I don't know the guys name.

I'll let you all know what I find out. And if I buy one I'll post pics.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts