Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my P22 to the range this morning; I have both the 3.5 and 5" barrels which I alternate. Today, I started with the 3.5" barrel shooting some leftover Remington and switched to some Armscor I bought at the shop. Intermittently, I had 3 of the Armscor rounds that "exploded" in some manner. Two split the casing lengthwise, and one left nothing but he rim/primer section. (I've attached a photo along with the box and lot number) The last problem round was extreme enough to disengage the takedown lever and if it hadn't been the last round of the magazine and the slide was locked open, there's no telling what would have happened to the slide. After that, I can't get the gun to chamber anything in the 3.5" barrel. I tried the Armscor I had been shooting and then tried some CCI. Nothing would work.

When I got home I changed out the 3.5 for the 5" barrel and conducted rudimentary feed tests by cycling the action using both the Armscor and CCI ammo. Everything worked fine. Then, just for the hell of it, I attempted to drop a loose round into the 3.5" barrel; it wouldn't go, not even with some "substantial" pressure. Any opinions on what may have happened (other than the second shooter on the hill theory)?

Attachments

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
I hate to say it....but this has happened so many times of recent that I think Armscor ammo needs to be put on a do not use list. We might even need a sticky to that effect. This has been reported before and I will have to say that the last guy here that this happened to, Armscor stepped up to the plate, asked him to ship the firearm to Walther and whatever they said was needed, they would pay for it. That poster got a new pistol as I recall. That is A+ customer service out of Armscor....but a more serious concern would be someone being injured by unsafe ammo.

With regard to your 3.4" barrel you probably have a part of the case plastered tight against the chamber wall. You need to inspect that pistol very, very carefully before any more shooting. I would inspect the inner frame, the slide, etc. Your pistol might be fine other than the problem with the short barrel chamber or it might be severely damaged. A .22 round can completely destroy a P22 and some other pistols if it is overcharged which apparently these are as well as possibly poorly formed brass. Be absolutely sure you have ear and eye protection on when testing if all appears good....I'd even wear gloves and a long sleeve shirt. If there is a good gunsmith nearby, ask him to take a look at it. Good luck, glad you weren't injured.

And a note to us all, anytime we get a box of ammo that explodes, blows apart, fires out of battery....it is time to stop, unload, carefully check the pistol and if nothing is found wrong...set that ammo aside then call the manufacturer regarding the issues you are having and the lot number. They don't want their ammo exploding either. Blowing off the entire rim is a very good indication you have very bad ammo. M1911

·
Registered
899 Posts
ATTENTION Winchester M22 Recall of two Lort Numbers

Winchester is recalling lots GD42L and GD52L of their M22 22LR ammunition since early 2014:

Apparently these two M22 Lot #s have a double charge of powder than they are designed to withstand.

I had a P22 slide blown off by Sellier & Bellot HV a few months ago, when two LR rounds went off simultaneously.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
I had some Winchester M22 that could've used some extra powder...

More seriously, glad that the OP wasn't hurt, other than the P22.
I agree with what 1911 says, especially about the inspection by someone who knows exactly what to look for.

This coming from a guy who has dug out a few pieces of .22LR casing from a hand due to "hot" ammo in a pistol not meant for it. Luckily, it wasn't my P22, but a cheapo POS that was, in one shot, rendered inoperable unintentionally.
Thankfully I only got some small shrapnel in my hand, and not in my eyes.

Wear protection...a new gun is one heck of a lot cheaper and easier to replace than an eye.

Might even give someone down at Fort Smith a call and see what they suggest to do with the P22, also. 'Luck. :)

·
Registered
899 Posts
It's about time someone invented something safer than gun powder and priming, me thinks.

Something manageable and safe like a van der graaf generator made for pistols and such. ;)

Just saying...

·
Registered
9,348 Posts
.22 Ammo-Manufacturer recalls and brands with reported danger issues

Unsafe .22 ammo - Factory recalls and other brands with reported issues.

Unsafe .22 ammo - Factory recalls and other brands exhibiting dangerous defects.

Something along these lines????? No names called, you have to read the tread if interested. If you Google Armscorp .22 problems you will find several of these same issues and not only in pistols. I think this is the third post here regarding this happening. Any brand can have a dud here or there but this seems to be too many occurances and the entire rim blowing off with enough force to damage pistols makes it too dangerous in my opinion. On many .22 pistols and probably rifles the rim is not supported. M1911

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited by Moderator)
"With regard to your 3.4" barrel you probably have a part of the case plastered tight against the chamber wall." ...
M1911, Thank you for your thoughtful advice and concerns. I'll be checking the 3.5" this Sat and if all goes well, it will be off to the long gun range to get some rifle time in on Sun.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update

Received parts for my Mark I; after assembly I loaded a mag and attempted to cycle a few rounds. No go; they wouldn't feed. I realized I had mistakenly picked out some of the same ammo from the Armscor lot that blew up in 2 of my guns. I switched it out to CCI and everything cycled fine. I took my pistol apart and attempted to manually load an Armscor round and it wouldn't go; there are no obstructions and I didn't notice any other problems (remember, the CCI cycled fine).

So me thinks part of the exploding ammo problem was its inability to feed and maybe during operational cycling, the extractor made contact causing what we all fear... premature explosion :). I could be out in left field on this, but facts are facts. One brand will easily drop into the chamber/barrel and the other won't go at all.

Anyhow, will be shooting both guns tomorrow (Mark I and P22) to see if there was anything I missed.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Last Update

Used Remington .22 at the range today. It didn't appear there was any damage to either the P22 or Mark I. The Mark I was spot on and I only ran 100 rds through it to make sure it was functioning OK. The P22 was a little different; the accuracy was the same, but it now exhibits a problem that may or may not be related to the ammo problem last week. It has started "binding" with a mag loaded with more than 7 rounds. It will fire, extract, eject and the slide will start to move forward and then stop just before chambering the next round. A very slight assist with my non shooting thumb finishes the job and all is well; this is only for the first 3 rounds of a fully loaded magazine and then the remaining rounds fire without incident. Will keep an eye on it; maybe 1911's bible will provide some insight. Off to the big boy range tomorrow for some long gun fun...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Weak mag spring

Could be your mag spring has weakened and either isn't lifting the rounds high enough or not quickly enough.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts