Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,
I was looking at a PP at my LGS today. It's got a grayish blued finish around 90%, no rust or pitting, excellent bore, no proof markings anywhere, no Walther scroll or other markings, and mismatched serial numbers on the frame and slide of 389xxx and 385xxx, with a seperate "P" after the S/N. Magazine looks old and is in excellent condition with no markings. One side of the slide has 2 very shallow (only bluing scraped off) but noticable wide scuff marks. It has wood grips that look very old but in good shape. The sales guy said he wasnt alowed to take off the slide, and I wasnt alllowed to take photos of course (i appologize in advance), nor dry fire it but seems fully functional. Other than the wooden grips, it looks identical in finish and markings (or lack thereof) to my untrained eyes to the pic of the unmatched ac PP on the PanchoCollection website. Unfortunately, I dont remember if it the one i was looking at had the "ac" marking though. Probably an important detail.

What do you think? I want to buy it, but on GB all i could find was one similar unmatched S/N PP and that one didn't sell. What should i expect to pay for it? What's an acceptable price range? I know this one has been in their shop a while, do LGSs negotiate on used guns? Anything I should look for before handing over my cash? Lots of stupidity on my part, please teach me, thanks!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
If you did not see the "AC" it may be refinished. Without pictures it could be worth anywhere between $ 250-$ 500. if you do not live in California.

I would pass on it, two wide scuff marks is not a 90% gun to me anyway. Sounds like a GI put together PP from the very end of WWII.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
If you want to buy it, buy it. Seems like it's reason enough to make the move.

As for asking for advice from forum members here, keep in mind that you've seen it; we haven't. It's impossible to provide any valuable insight beyond that ... without a first-hand examination, without photos, without even knowing the asking price.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Hi all,

What do you think? I know this one has been in their shop a while, do LGSs negotiate on used guns?
Considering, you are not quite sure what you are looking at and the pistol has been sitting in the shop for a while, I would speculate that the pistol is over priced and may even be wrong in some way as I bet collectors have looked at this pistol and passed on it! :eek:

If you still would like to own the pistol, offer the owner what you think is a fair price for that pistol in a shooter grade. Probably somewhere around $ 325-425. If the owner says they do not deal on the price, just say, thank you and walk away!

The above is how I bought my best "RP" marked 9X18 Ultra/Police Walther PP Super from a high end gun shop. The owner just wanted to get rid of a pistol he could not sell ammo for!

Furthermore, do not pay more for any pistol that comes with a story of being captured during WWII & sold to us by the WWII Vets widow or that pistol was a special non marked model for the SS or something! :D

·
Registered
106 Posts
Everything is negotiable... Offer $275 and walk if he won't meet it... You can always come back and ask him if he's thought about it.

A mismatch is worth 50-60% of what a matched gun goes for.

This one might be a post war GI special assembled from spare parts at the factory, so make sure it shoots properly before buying.

Marc

·
Registered
964 Posts
You are ignorant not stupid ,ignorant means you do not know the answer ,have never been exposed before .Stupid means you have been exposed and didn't benefit from it or you know better and do it anyway . Stupid implies non willingness to learn you asked for help /knowledge which shows a willingness to learn ,the beginning of wisdom ,congrats you are learning . If it isn't proofed I would be careful it may not be correctly assembled could malfunction ,I would request proof of function and have THEM test fire it , they are at least covered by Worker Comp . ayb

·
Premium Member
6,722 Posts
These unproofed, mismatched, "ac" PP's were assembled by (or for) US Army personnel from whatever parts were available. The parts might be improperly fitted, manufactured, or heat treated. Many of these PP's were unfinished or dipped in a weak blue or phosphate solution. Even if a gunsmith determines it will fire the parts may fail unexpectedly. These factory capture PP's are better collectables than shooters. If you want a PP to fire you're better off with a matching and proofed Zella-Mehlis PP...or a postwar Walther or Manurhin model.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts